• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Don't put political messages on the destination display

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Not relevant, as the "vote leave" message wasn't seen by Khan or anyone. If someone wrote "vote stay", they would also deserve criticism.

Agreed. Putting political messages where the destination should go is not acceptable. I'm less bothered by the silly stuff, but only where it does not cause confusion, e.g. substituting for "not in service" - I thought the made-up Valentine's destinations on the PIS were bad because they were confusing.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
It does work both ways - a certain rail operator (or should I say a certain rail operator's senior managers) thought it would be fitting to issue all staff with black armbands for Thatcher's funeral. The idea stumbled at the first hurdle as distribution staff would refuse to handle them.

Dent

If the railways were still nationalised, would it have been OK to write vote xxxx, where vote xxxx is what the current government supports?

I guess it would depend on what the railway company/ organisation's policy is on using the pis displays.

A member of staff making an unauthorised political statement in the name of their employer is gross misconduct regardless of the contents of the message or the ownership of the employer.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Silly of the person to do so. Right to be suspended. Never discuss politics at work!

In my job you can't really avoid it (due to whom one of our clients are!).

And because of the fact the railways are still unionised I'd imagine it can be hard to avoid there too.

I am not suggesting anyone should get a kicking or anything else- when I was at school you simply didn't grass on a pupil to a teacher.

It is that attitude that allows bullying to flourish in many schools.

Last edited:

rebmcr

Established Member
There wouldn't be Desiros here to customise the displays of without the EU!

Harbornite

Established Member
There wouldn't be Desiros here to customise the displays of without the EU!

Are you sure about that? I'm genuinely curious, is this to do with the price of imports and the effect the EU has had on this, or something else?

jon0844

Veteran Member
Trainy McTrainFace was inoffensive, amusing and brought publicity to both the TOC and the railway in general - in a good way.

Happy Christmas, Good Night! or similar is also harmless (and, no, people of different religions don't get upset and demand we don't mention Christmas, even if far-right groups like to tell us they do).

Political messages, protest messages or anything else is just dumb. It's so obvious that you're going to get into trouble, I am amazed anyone considered doing it.

That said, you see in-fighting with Tories over the referendum, but it's happening all over. I can see arguing with friends on Facebook over the issue, and people on open groups and forums getting extremely passionate over the issue.

I can't wait for it to all be over, as it has been far worse than an election.

amateur

On Moderation
In my job you can't really avoid it (due to whom one of our clients are!).

And because of the fact the railways are still unionised I'd imagine it can be hard to avoid there too.

It is that attitude that allows bullying to flourish in many schools.

I messaged a colleague to remind him to cast his vote on his way in to work on 5th may. But when we were both at the office, its not something we discussed nor did we ask each other which way we voted!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Political messages, protest messages or anything else is just dumb. It's so obvious that you're going to get into trouble, I am amazed anyone considered doing it.

I've seen "Late again!" (it was, too) on a LM unit. I thought whichever member of traincrew did it (and didn't seem to show any concern at all about me taking a photo of it, though I did ensure it didn't include the unit number so they couldn't be blamed) was brave.

I did like "Bah Humbug!" and "The Master Cobbler" that I've seen from time to time - though these are again harmless fun and not a political statement.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Late again is certainly risky as not everyone would find that funny, especially if a photo could be used against it (such as by a fake Anti company Twitter account).

TBirdFrank

On Moderation
All train services need public subsidy somewhere along the way to be able to operate therefore every train is taxpayer funded.

Accordingly no political affiliations should be declared.

Status
Not open for further replies.