• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Door operation on 150s and 172s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't know whether this is the right place for this topic. So sorry in advance. ON the 150s, for example 001 and 002 plus the 150/2 variants with sliding cab doors, how are the doors released, closed and also how is the actual cab door opened, closed or locked. The same with the 172s. Also, on the FGW 150s and the new 172s, where are the door controls at the vestible doors in the passenger cabin as I have seen the LM 150s at FGW being fitted with a system so you can open the doors anywhere. Can someone please explain the above!

Thanks. I understand if this thread is moved!:lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Matt Taylor

Established Member
I don't think you'll find any train crew members willing to give out such information. why do you ask?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Don't know whether this is the right place for this topic. So sorry in advance. ON the 150s, for example 001 and 002 plus the 150/2 variants with sliding cab doors, how are the doors released, closed and also how is the actual cab door opened, closed or locked.
I do not fully understand this question. For the doors on the bodyside, the Conductor/Guard puts a key in the Door Key Switch and operates the Local Door switch.

What is ''the actual cab door?''
The same with the 172s.
Not sure about 172s, but 168s and 170s have a handle within the cab which is pulled and the door slid open manually.
Also, on the FGW 150s and the new 172s, where are the door controls at the vestible doors in the passenger cabin as I have seen the LM 150s at FGW being fitted with a system so you can open the doors anywhere. Can someone please explain the above!
What do you want explaining? There are intermediate panels in the passenger saloons by certain doors which allow the doors to be operated from within the saloon.

BestWestern

Established Member
I can't shed any light on 172/Turbostar stock as we don't have any, but the door operation on 150s is fairly standard. Controls are situated in the cab-end vestibule either side of the train, requiring a secure key-operated switch to be activated first.

On swing door 150/0 and 150/1 stock the crew door is opened manually to carry out a platform check, the passenger doors are then 'released' from the door control panel. Doors are then closed from the panel, crew door locked shut and 'ready to start' signal is given on the buzzer. On 150/2 units the crew doors are sliding powered, and are opened/closed using a separate switch. As I say, pretty standard stuff.

I don't think you'll find any train crew members willing to give out such information. why do you ask?

Don't worry! I'm not going to steal the train! I was just wondering as you never really think about it and I've always been interested about how things work or operate.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I meant the exterior cab door and I did mean the saloon doors. I get it now too!

headshot119

Established Member
I can't shed any light on 172/Turbostar stock as we don't have any, but the door operation on 150s is fairly standard. Controls are situated in the cab-end vestibule either side of the train, requiring a secure key-operated switch to be activated first.

On swing door 150/0 and 150/1 stock the crew door is opened manually to carry out a platform check, the passenger doors are then 'released' from the door control panel. Doors are then closed from the panel, crew door locked shut and 'ready to start' signal is given on the buzzer. On 150/2 units the crew doors are sliding powered, and are opened/closed using a separate switch. As I say, pretty standard stuff.

Out of curiosity is there a CDL bolt on the 150/0 and 150/1 exterior cab doors?

driver9000

Established Member
Out of curiosity is there a CDL bolt on the 150/0 and 150/1 exterior cab doors?

Not on the 150/1. They can be locked though, and there is no passenger access to them from inside the saloon as that door is locked each time it closes.

The 150/0 has a sliding power door for crew access and I would expect this is interlocked to the brake/traction relays as on the 150/2.

Matt Taylor

Established Member
It may not be interlocked as the 455 'local door' is not interlocked and the 455 door controls are very similar to those on the 150.

Status
Not open for further replies.