• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dorchester South

Status
Not open for further replies.

dorsetmagpie

Hello all, first time poster here so be nice! ;)

I was reading in the local paper recently that Dorchester South station has secured funding for upgrades for accessibility. (Presumably for lifts added to the pedestrian bridge - a necessity given that it's a bust through route into the town centre for those from the east of town)

It's a bit before my time but I'm convinced the old Dorchester South station - when it had a terminus platform and up trains had to reverse in - that there used to be a subway underneath the platforms (as seen to the right of the photo below) Does anyone know what happened to this subway during the stations remodelling? Was it filled in and consigned to history forever?

dorchester-south-780103zd-the-connecting-walkway-to-the-new-platform-is-seen-crossing-the-orig...jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

davetheguard

Established Member
I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your question. But what does "bust through route" mean?

DelW

Established Member
I can't help with what happened to it, but the attached map extract from 1929, from the NLS website, shows what looks like a subway to the through island platform.

Screenshot_20200502-173431_Chrome.jpg

[.n]

In answer to your questions

a) as far as I am aware the accessibility improvements do NOT include either a ramped bridge or lifts thus meaning to change platforms via wheelchair for example, will still require the 20-25 minute trek around the roads or popping down to Weymouth on the train and coming back again [at a meeting I was at there was some suggestion that maybe a taxi could be arranged for cross platform transfer if booked in advance]. The easiest solution if one is on the know is to request the train stops on the platform you require, but this is not always easy to achieve.

Its a similar situation at Dorchester West, where its not possible to change platforms (in a wheelchair) without a lengthy detour around the road system, in flat I'm convinced that its actually step free at all on one side. Again it can be simpler to stay on the train to Weymouth and come back again

b) Yes there was a subway to go under the platforms, I don't know for certain but I think it was blocked up rather than being completely filled in, I assume it was closed because it flooded a lot, otherwise it makes no sense to me that they would do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.