• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dorset To Isle Of Wight

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
I was looking on QJump the other day at times and fares from Dorset to Smallbrook Junction and it didn't offer up any via Woking options, is via Woking not allowed (for heading across to the Isle of Wight on the catamaran from Portsmouth)?

I know that over on the Island there's the option of the Island Liner ticket to cover Ryde Pier Head-Smallbrook Junction and the steam railway.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Why would you expect "via Woking" to be valid from anywhere in Dorset? The obvious route is changing at Southampton for a train to Portsmouth. Even from north Dorset (eg Gillingham) you'd go via Salisbury. Woking is waaaaaay off route

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
If the last Isle of Wight Railway train of the day is running late, does the Island Line train get held at Smallbrook for people to make the connection?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
No, it does not. It would screw up services on Island Line.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
If you really want to go via Woking, you can do it with split ticketing. From Gillingham for example, to Petersfield is still valid via Woking, and you can do that journey with the SWT £16 promotional day return. You can then buy a separate ticket from Petersfield to Smallbrook Junction.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
No, it does not. It would screw up services on Island Line.

How full will the Island Train likely be going towards Ryde mid-September for the the one that calls at Smallbrook at 16:33? I believe that there's no pedestrian access to the road if either the last Island Line train is missed or the Island Line train is too full for anyone else to board.

If you really want to go via Woking, you can do it with split ticketing. From Gillingham for example, to Petersfield is still valid via Woking, and you can do that journey with the SWT £16 promotional day return. You can then buy a separate ticket from Petersfield to Smallbrook Junction.

The only reason I was thinking of going via Woking is that when I got to Woking I could check the weather and travel and if either had deteriorated badly, I'd have the option (if it was one of their running days) of buying a Woking-Alton return and going to the Watercress railway instead

tonyiow

Impossible to say, it's unlikely you wouldn't be able to get on but if there are any passengers there after the last Island Line service booked to call then an additional service will be requested to stop. You are correct, there is no pedestrian access to/from Smallbrook Junction by road.

cav1975

There is close co-operation between the two railways on the Isle of Wight and passengers will not be left behind at Smallbrook Junction.

If necessary later Island Line trains will be asked to stop. Equally if there is an Island Line problem the Steam Railway will convey passengers to Havenstreet and onward transport to Ryde will be arranged.

You can get a ticket through to the Isle of Wight Steam Railway as noted on this forum:-
http://www.railforums.co.uk/showpost.php?p=1181628&postcount=8

Isle of Wight Steam Railway

Interchange Station: Smallbrook Junction (Open only on days when both Island Line and Steam Railway are in operation)
Journey Options: Travel to IOW via Portsmouth/Ryde by Wightlink or from IOW stations. Unlimited travel on the Island Line and Steam Railway
Discounts: Standard Child discount on through fares. Railcard discounts unavailable. Privilege and InterRail discounts are available.​

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Going between Southampton Central and Portsmouth Harbour and between Ryde Pier Head and Smallbrook Junctions, are there any particular time services to avoid (ones that tend to get rammed full)?

Will TVMs at Ryde Pier Head sell the Island Liner tickets or (from SWT's side) literally just buy-able onboard only?

cav1975

Going between Southampton Central and Portsmouth Harbour and between Ryde Pier Head and Smallbrook Junctions, are there any particular time services to avoid (ones that tend to get rammed full)?

Will TVMs at Ryde Pier Head sell the Island Liner tickets or (from SWT's side) literally just buy-able onboard only?

There are no ticket machines at Ryde Pier Head and the ticket office there is run by Wightlink and so does not sell Island Liner tickets. Buy them on the train, if the conductor hasn't reached you by the time that you get to Smallbrook Junction you can buy them from the Steam Railway booking office with the same validity.

I can't comment on which trains might be rammed full, sorry.

Muzer

Established Member

Day of the week?

Muzer

Established Member
I don't know about on the Isle of Wight side, though I was on the island over the weekend the other day. I highly doubt trains before 5pm will be too packed. Even the Soton to Pompey services I didn't travel on much, but I'll tell you what I know:

The GWR trains will certainly be busy during the morning and evening peaks, and may also be busy if there are events along their routes. They're usually just about bearable for getting a seat at other times, but do generally get very busy if anything is slightly out of the ordinary.

The SWT services obviously start from Southampton and they're slow stoppers, so you should certainly be able to get a seat. They do take forever though, but bear in mind it's only a double track line so they don't get overtaken — if your next train is an all stations stopper to Portsmouth, it'll still be faster than waiting for the one after! One thing that might catch you out though is that for most of the day they terminate at Portsmouth and Southsea due to (I believe) not enough platforms at Portsmouth Harbour (they would have enough but one of the piers is dodgy so they closed it decades ago...). You'll have to change, I'd recommend doing so at Fratton because it's a much easier connection than at Portsmouth and Southsea, unless you want to see the pretty terminus station in stark contrast with the ugly through platforms!

I think it can at certain times be quicker to get a Southern service and change onto a train coming from Eastleigh, but if you've been reading the news, you'll know not to count on this!

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
For the Isle of Wight next week, what day does Bestival end? I'd probably avoid a couple of days after that

Status
Not open for further replies.