• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do's and don'ts of assessments and interviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt-the-mutt

Now I'm sure this has been done a thousand and one times but i'm curious as to see your own opinions as to how to go about the dreaded assessment days so many seem to "enjoy" so much.

For example I feel most of us know that in the group stages you want to let everyone else have their own say rather that overly dominate and control the group.

or the fact that it seems to be the norm to avoid mentioning you are a train spotter or hobbyist (whatever you wanna call it)

so how do you go about them? and what would you suggest to others reading this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nevillehill

Never tell the interviewer you want to work on the railway because you have been interested in trains/ railways, they will think you will be watching trains instead of working.

red2005

DON'T.......mention to an interviewer that you are in it just for the money......as good as honesty is they wan't to think the applicant has some interest in the actual job.

DO.......make sure you read any questions properly and if you ain't sure ask!! you'll be amazed how many people fail through a simple silly mistake!

TomBoyd

DON'T rage out and flip the table if it starts going wrong.

DO be confident and enthusiastic.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
DON'T turn up in jeans and a t-shirt

DO make sure to get adequate sleep the night before

Matt-the-mutt

Never tell the interviewer you want to work on the railway because you have been interested in trains/ railways, they will think you will be watching trains instead of working.

It would seem this is a common point, are there anyways of saying this but avoiding the negative do you think?

Or is best just to avoid it all together and focus on the fact that working with the public and enjoying it is a big reason for wanting the job?

KT530

It would seem this is a common point, are there anyways of saying this but avoiding the negative do you think?

Or is best just to avoid it all together and focus on the fact that working with the public and enjoying it is a big reason for wanting the job?

No need to mention having an interest, they will suss this out from what you say, how you say it and how detailed you are in your answers.

It certainly isn't a negative where I work, they will judge you on your suitability and ability to do the role. Having an interest is an added bonus.

red2005

it's not all bad saying you have an interest in railways though!......for example at our depot we have numerous staff that worked for heritage railways before going full time with us and at least 2 have said that having that extra railway interest and already having to obey strict rules and regs was a great help in the application/interview process!

craigybagel

Established Member
I'd sum up the whole railway interest position like this.

DO show you have a passion for working on the railways and all of the safety and customer service responsibilities that go with it, and just happen to involve being on a train.

DO NOT show that you have a passion for working on the railways just because you like trains.

Red18

Turn up early for everything so you can relax before the 'fun' starts. The last thing you want is to be rushing because you can't park or find the venue.
Also, there might be a few of you sat waiting and from my experience everyone sits in silence which is very weird. Get chatting with someone and that will help you relax too.

TDK

Established Member
Do's.

1. Dress as smart as you can
2. Arrive early
3. Remember you are being assessed from the minute you come into contact with anyone who you may think are other candidates.
4. Be honest
5. Listen to the question and know why it is being asked.
6. Keep eye contact with the interviewer.
7. Don't go too deep into your answers.
8. Remember exactly what you put in your original application.
9. Learn as much about the company and the operator as you can.
10. Ask questions after if you have any.

Don't

1. Go against any of the above.
2. Tell them you know something about the railways if you have never worked for a TOC
3. Get drawn in with probing questions.
4. Emphasise you will find the role easy
5. Say you are an avid spotter
6. Slouch when sitting at the table.
7. Make up any stories that are not correct as you will be sussed out.

There many other things that you will need not and to do.

Berries

Do's.

Don't
3. Get drawn in with probing questions.

There many other things that you will need not and to do.

Hello TDK

What do you mean by "Don't get drawn in with probing questions."?

I am relieved you mentioned the trainspotter point. I feel I'm at a disadvantage for not knowing what the different models of trains can do.

TDK

Established Member
Hello TDK

What do you mean by "Don't get drawn in with probing questions."?

I am relieved you mentioned the trainspotter point. I feel I'm at a disadvantage for not knowing what the different models of trains can do.

If an interviewer wants more information about your character for instance if you are a motorcycle owner and own a large bike an interviewer may have an interest or knowledge as well. The question may be "what speed have you had out of your Ducatti"? If you reply I managed 145mph on the M54 then you can say goodnight to your job. If you said I had 145mph on a race track then this may be a better answer. This is being drawn in to see whether an individual will take risks. This is just an example there are many things an interviewer will ask to assess whether you are a correct candidate for a role.

amateur

On Moderation
Being fake in interviews and being genuine in interviews....where do you draw the line?

rf_ioliver

Remember the interview starts the moment you meet the first person on site or even by telephone. This might mean the receptionist or even a cleaner (yes, I've seen this!), and in many cases they will be asked for their opinion.

Treat everyone you meet with respect. Don't forget to smile, say "Good Morning", "Hello", "Thank you" etc.

One company I worked for would send a chaperone to meet the candidate and then take them on a slightly convoluted route to the interview. This was just to check if the candidate could have a simple conversation and treated people with respect...most interviewees would fail at this point.

Also, make sure you shine your shoes, wear matching socks, a tie and iron your shirt and tousers/blouse and skirt*.

*obviously, don't wear a skirt if you're a man, or even Scottish**...there are *some* limits to equality :)

**it's a kilt!!!

t.

Ian

Ray90

DO: Be concise/to the point

DO: Be comfortable with finishing your point when it's finished!

DON'T: As aforementioned, get sucked into the probing questions and ramble on

DON'T: Let the interviewer fool you with their staring into continuing talking once you've made your point.

Had a recent customer services interview and failed with the feedback "needed to be more concise" as the above happened to me. :-x

TDK

Established Member
Remember the interview starts the moment you meet the first person on site or even by telephone. This might mean the receptionist or even a cleaner (yes, I've seen this!), and in many cases they will be asked for their opinion.

Treat everyone you meet with respect. Don't forget to smile, say "Good Morning", "Hello", "Thank you" etc.

One company I worked for would send a chaperone to meet the candidate and then take them on a slightly convoluted route to the interview. This was just to check if the candidate could have a simple conversation and treated people with respect...most interviewees would fail at this point.

Also, make sure you shine your shoes, wear matching socks, a tie and iron your shirt and tousers/blouse and skirt*.

*obviously, don't wear a skirt if you're a man, or even Scottish**...there are *some* limits to equality :)

**it's a kilt!!!

t.

Ian

Good post ^^

As an interviewer I would sit in the reception area, watch, listen and observe the potential candidates and even had some come up to me saying they thought it would be a breeze and just fob the interviewers off. I even sat on a train behind 2 candidates once and listened to what they had to say.

Themob

A guy made polite conversation with me in the lift when I entered the premises, he transpired to be one of my interviewers. He wore no uniform and the conversation he initiated was about the weather and he asked if I knew where I was going .
I cannot emphasise enough that conducting yourself with courtesy, decorum and presenting a personable/ friendly attitude is of the utmost importance.
I'm in no doubt the interviewer accompanied every candidate in the lift.

My answers at the interview were concise. I was asked a string of questions but there was one simple question which had me stumped. - I don't remember what it was, suffice to say I should have known the answer. In response I said "I'm very sorry, I should know the answer, but I don't".

I start as a trainee driver soon, in conversation with HR since this job offer it was said they appreciated my honesty and the fact I didn't try and blag an answer to that question.

In summary, it's not just interviews which count, it's not even the 1st impression that counts,- it the pre 1st impression that may count. On that basis, ensure your shoes shine, clothes are ironed and hair is neat etc. Be friendly , assume the interview starts as soon as you leave the house.

Last edited:

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
it's not all bad saying you have an interest in railways though!......for example at our depot we have numerous staff that worked for heritage railways before going full time with us and at least 2 have said that having that extra railway interest and already having to obey strict rules and regs was a great help in the application/interview process!

Difference in being an on the fence enthusiast and one who actually works on the railway. The work experience as opposed to the travel, photography and data mining is the plus point here
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Being fake in interviews and being genuine in interviews....where do you draw the line?

Only make statements you can back up, as you may get asked for evidence. Nothing wrong with embellishing a little however, as long as what you say backs up the embellishment.....

If you catch my drift.......

Established Member
Don't ask anyone at a Virgin assessment day if they do actually work for VT and have turned up in plain clothes to try blend in, and is the one job on offer is already theirs. :o

*runs for cover* :P

Status
Not open for further replies.