• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Double-check on excess - Super Off Peak to Off Peak

Status
Not open for further replies.

najaB

Veteran Member
Hi all,

Just want to double-check that I'm right in my thinking. I currently hold a Super Off Peak ticket but I may be returning at a time that the Super Off Peak is not valid. Am I correct that I can excess it to the Off Peak at the station and/or on board the train?

This is ticket I have, and I originally planned to get the 1607 to head north, but I may now be able to travel earlier for which I would need to hold this ticket. So the excess would be half the difference between the two - £47.90.

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
That sounds correct to me, although if it were that much, I would be inclined to travel on the West Coast where there is no afternoon restriction if times are suitable if I were you.

Edit: brain-freeze. See below. (FWIW I am sure I saw you mention full difference there. :p)

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
You are correct in regards to being entitled to an excess;

NRCOC 12. Restrictions on when you can travel said:
Restrictions apply to the use of some tickets (including those bought with a Railcard) in addition to/other than those in Condition 10 above such as the dates, days, and times when you can use them, and the trains in which they can be used. These restrictions will be made clear to you by the seller when you buy your ticket. If a restriction applies and the ticket you are using is not valid for the train you are travelling in, then:
(a) you will be liable to pay an excess fare (the difference between the price paid for the ticket you hold and the price of the lowest priced ticket available for immediate travel that would have entitled you to travel in that train for the journey shown on the ticket)

However, it is not half of the difference - it is the full difference between the two tickets.

najaB

Veteran Member
You are correct in regards to being entitled to an excess... However, it is not half of the difference - it is the full difference between the two tickets.
Thanks. I thought it was half the difference since I only wish to excess one leg.

And thanks bb21 for the advice about the West Coast - I was just going by the itineraries given by the journey planner, which routes the 1607 up the west coast to Glasgow, but all the earlier ones up the east cost via Edinburgh. I'll try it again with a via point on the WCML.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Only change of route is half the difference these days officially.

najaB

Veteran Member
Only change of route is half the difference these days officially.
Top tip about the west coast - put in a routing point via Preston and I can get home on Friday night rather than Saturday morning without costing the company anything extra. :)

Thanks all.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Could one successfully argue the appropriate ticket to excess to would be the £154.50 ✠Any Permitted SOS?

I am aware that it's a little odd excessing from a return to a single. But this would still, technically, be the full difference between fares. This would be the "lowest priced ticket available for immediate travel that would have entitled you to travel in that train for the journey shown on the ticket".

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Could one successfully argue the appropriate ticket to excess to would be the £154.50 ✠Any Permitted SOS?

I am aware that it's a little odd excessing from a return to a single. But this would still, technically, be the full difference between fares. This would be the "lowest priced ticket available for immediate travel that would have entitled you to travel in that train for the journey shown on the ticket".

No, because he has made the outward journey. So the only ticket that covers the journey made and the one being made is a return.

najaB

Veteran Member
No, because he has made the outward journey.
I have indeed, it's only the return leg that I was looking to excess. However bb21 pointed out that I was being silly and just needed to travel up the WCML rather than ECML. Now I'm being a real geek and aiming to get the 1630 from Euston as I've never done a one stop to Glasgow.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
I have indeed, it's only the return leg that I was looking to excess. However bb21 pointed out that I was being silly and just needed to travel up the WCML rather than ECML. Now I'm being a real geek and aiming to get the 1630 from Euston as I've never done a one stop to Glasgow.

I didn't know that existed! Pretty good stuff, you really can get settled in there.

Are there many of these one stoppers? I'd love to get one home for Xmas this year.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I think it's just the 1630 that's Preston only.

I caught it on a Friday when I did an ALR a couple of years ago. Full to Preston bt most passengers got off there iirc.

Status
Not open for further replies.