Double-check on excess - Super Off Peak to Off Peak

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by najaB, 27 May 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. najaB

najaB Veteran Member

Hi all,

Just want to double-check that I'm right in my thinking. I currently hold a Super Off Peak ticket but I may be returning at a time that the Super Off Peak is not valid. Am I correct that I can excess it to the Off Peak at the station and/or on board the train?

This is ticket I have, and I originally planned to get the 1607 to head north, but I may now be able to travel earlier for which I would need to hold this ticket. So the excess would be half the difference between the two - £47.90.

Thanks.

2. bb21

bb21 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

That sounds correct to me, although if it were that much, I would be inclined to travel on the West Coast where there is no afternoon restriction if times are suitable if I were you.

Edit: brain-freeze. See below. (FWIW I am sure I saw you mention full difference there. :p)

3. Merseysider

Merseysider Established Member Fares Advisor

You are correct in regards to being entitled to an excess;

However, it is not half of the difference - it is the full difference between the two tickets.

4. najaB

najaB Veteran Member

Thanks. I thought it was half the difference since I only wish to excess one leg.

And thanks bb21 for the advice about the West Coast - I was just going by the itineraries given by the journey planner, which routes the 1607 up the west coast to Glasgow, but all the earlier ones up the east cost via Edinburgh. I'll try it again with a via point on the WCML.

5. reb0118

reb0118 Established Member Fares Advisor

For time restricted excesses it is my belief that the full difference in fare is charged.

6. bb21

bb21 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Only change of route is half the difference these days officially.

7. najaB

najaB Veteran Member

Top tip about the west coast - put in a routing point via Preston and I can get home on Friday night rather than Saturday morning without costing the company anything extra. :)

Thanks all.

8. Merseysider

Merseysider Established Member Fares Advisor

Could one successfully argue the appropriate ticket to excess to would be the £154.50 ✠Any Permitted SOS?

I am aware that it's a little odd excessing from a return to a single. But this would still, technically, be the full difference between fares. This would be the "lowest priced ticket available for immediate travel that would have entitled you to travel in that train for the journey shown on the ticket".

9. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

No, because he has made the outward journey. So the only ticket that covers the journey made and the one being made is a return.

10. najaB

najaB Veteran Member

I have indeed, it's only the return leg that I was looking to excess. However bb21 pointed out that I was being silly and just needed to travel up the WCML rather than ECML. Now I'm being a real geek and aiming to get the 1630 from Euston as I've never done a one stop to Glasgow.

11. Johngill100

Johngill100 Member

I didn't know that existed! Pretty good stuff, you really can get settled in there.

Are there many of these one stoppers? I'd love to get one home for Xmas this year.

12. Hadders

Hadders Established Member

I think it's just the 1630 that's Preston only.

I caught it on a Friday when I did an ALR a couple of years ago. Full to Preston bt most passengers got off there iirc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.