• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Double decking light rail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holly

Thinking about HS routes into city centres (notably HS2 in Manchester, but more generally), I was toying with existing rights of way that are modernly used primarily for commuters and reusing for HS.

So I go to wondering, since it is so expensive to either elevate or tunnel HS, whether there might be mileage in stacking light rail (tram) tracks vertically?
Thus using one trackbed instead of two for a light rail commuter service.

Of course it is a gross inconvenience (not to mention expense) to have elevated stations but perhaps the tracks could swap levels here and there where space permitted (the right of way could be widened for a short distance).

I was thinking for example of diverting existing Manchester airport heavy rail trains along a new line. And reusing the Styal branch right of way through Heald Green for a combination of HS2 and trams.

Are there any examples of one-up / one-down tramlines anywhere in the world?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jonny

Established Member
The trouble with one up/one down is that, in low-rise residential areas, people don't like it when others have a clear view into their bedrooms.

bangor-toad

Are there any examples of one-up / one-down tramlines anywhere in the world?

Hi there,
I've been on such a system on a trip to Japan. In the low rise area the tracks were side by side as normal but on occasion one track would rise up and go above the other in the more built up areas.

It's quite impressive to see such a one up / one down elevated flyover twist and turn between the skyscrapers.

I'd love to say exactly where it is but I've got no idea!

Given the cost of elevated structures it may be best to have heavy rail on the ground floor and elevated light rail as that's need a lower load bearing construction.
OK that's a guess but I imagine the requirements for an elevated section to support a tram travelling at a max of 70mph would be less than to support a full HS2 set at much higher speeds. One for the Civil Engineers I think...

Cheers,
Jason

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Well considering a heavy rail line would have to take freight and that trams are considerably lighter than heavy rail trains. Thusyour maximum loading is much less therefore it doesnt need to be as expensive design.

Wyvern

Established Member
Elevated railways above roads are quite common in the States. As seen in the film "The Blues Brothers"

Railsigns

Established Member
This is in Brooklyn, New York:

stav1.jpg

stav2.jpg

tsr

Established Member
I'm led to believe that Manila (Philippines) has many railways elevated above roads. I have no idea about the prevalence of "double-deck" railways, but I can well imagine that they do have them.

It's a good idea, and of course several bridges also use this technique worldwide.

I can imagine systems like Croydon Tramlink being used with this sort of infrastructure in the future. The rather understated Wandle Park Flyover on said tram network would be quite interesting to engineer with one-up/one-down!

WatcherZero

Established Member
I dont think the original viaducts could take it, you would have to start again from scratch.

1936403_0af3363e.jpg

If you think about it you would have to close for two years to demolish and rebuild and that would just be a short stretch. The disruption cost would be astounding, probably cheaper to tunnel!

LE Greys

Established Member
Another area of capacity increase. Is there enough space between rail and wire for double-deck trams?

WatcherZero

Established Member
Double decker buses can get under it fine so yes, however theres several original bridges that would need raising as the pantographs are practically at minimum height underneath, and a few tunnels as well which would need excavating for more height.

Clip

Established Member
Canning Town station is built like that. DLR above LU.

wow thats an old picture!!

Its kind of like a double decker bit as you go into Canary wharf from Poplar or Bank Directions. Building stations in the air can be that expensive - poplar itself is raised along with others on the DLR so I see no need why if something in future was to be built it couldnt be done.

Nym

Established Member
I dont think the original viaducts could take it, you would have to start again from scratch.

1936403_0af3363e.jpg

If you think about it you would have to close for two years to demolish and rebuild and that would just be a short stretch. The disruption cost would be astounding, probably cheaper to tunnel!

The viaduct running metrolink there is four tracks wide anyway...

WatcherZero

Established Member
Well the classic rail is alongside on the other viaduct and im using it as an example of the quality of the viaduct structures across the city and suburbs, but the point was if it was taken as a HSR line you would still have to replace the viaduct.

Status
Not open for further replies.