• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

double-headed over South Devon Banks

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSC Friends

Hi,
I am writing new interpretation for Newton Abbot Museum's GWR Room.
I have been leaning heavily on the goodwill of Forum members - and now want more.
Does anyone have a good shot of a double-headed working - patently in Newton Abbot Station - or distinctively on the South Devon Banks, I can use, please, to show the visitors what I mean by "double-headed over South Devon Banks".
Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ash Bridge

Established Member
This is perhaps not exactly what you are looking for, but I do have a slide taken at Newton Abbot Station during September 1991 depicting a charter train double headed by a pair of Class 37 locomotive. (37671 & 37673) The only problem with this is that the train has just arrived from the Paignton direction so unfortunately is pointing towards Exeter, the annoying thing is that at the other end of the train are a pair of Class 56 locomotives ready to then take it forward over the Devon banks which I sadly never managed a shot of a Newton Abbot. If this is of any use just inform me and I could get it scanned and forward it to you.

RSC Friends

That's a kind offer, Ash Bridge thanks, but I was hoping for an older picture showing double-headed steam traction - the point I am trying to make to our museum visitors is about the reason for the importance of NA as the stabling point for the banking engines.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
That's a kind offer, Ash Bridge thanks, but I was hoping for an older picture showing double-headed steam traction - the point I am trying to make to our museum visitors is about the reason for the importance of NA as the stabling point for the banking engines.

Ah that's not a problem, I can appreciate your aim there, sadly BR Western Region steam traction had long vanished before my holiday memories in the far southwest commenced, hopefully someone will come along to oblige.

edwin_m

Veteran Member

I think they're generally referred to as pilot engines if attached at the front for double heading. To me banking means having a second locomotive pushing the rear of the train. The term "assisting" would cover both.

Status
Not open for further replies.