• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Double line stations in the steam era without a goods yard in the station environs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That’s probably the most long winded title I’ve ever written...

This is a bit niche (and hopefully someone might rise to the challenge), but I’m trying to find a smallish station on a double track line (hopefully a Southern Region one, but anything interesting would do), that wouldn’t have had the standard steam era goods yard near the station...
In other words were there any stations that had the platforms and associated buildings in one place and perhaps the goods yard in another part of town? Or even on the other side of a short tunnel due in necessity because of the local geography?
I thought I’d come up trumps with Brentor until @Ash Bridge found me an old track plan showing that the SR station had a siding running behind the signal box.

Were there actually any stations up to the 1950s that didn’t feature some kind of goods handling facilities?

This is slightly railway modelling related, but I’ve put it in the history section as I thought it would be quite an interesting question. Thanks for taking a look at it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Carrington on the GCR. In a deep cutting between two tunnels:
http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/c/carrington/index.shtml

And according to http://www.kentrail.org.uk/Bickley.htm, Bickley didn't have any goods facilities because it was all dealt with at Bromley South.
That’s exactly the kind of thing I was looking for, thanks EM2.
Carrington is a perfect example of what I was looking for in fact.
There must be other examples around the uk I assume? But the way it has tunnels either side of the station is a great prototypical version of what I was hoping existed.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Stoneleigh never had any goods facilities.

Nor, I'm sure, did quite a few other suburban stations on various lines. However, at some you would have the opposite extreme - for example, one stop further down the line, Ewell West used to have very extensive facilities and even a light railway branch line away from it...

Dr Hoo

Established Member
The Railway & Commercial Gazetteer listed every settlement and station. Some stations are shown as (P) or (Pass) for passenger only. For example, Chestfield & Swalecliffe, to give a Southern example that I am familiar with.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Do the stations between tunnels count ?

Tunbridge Wells Central springs to mind, with the yard north of the tunnel. Also, St Leonards Warrior Square and West St Leonards didn't have goods yards.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Do the stations between tunnels count ?

Tunbridge Wells Central springs to mind, with the yard north of the tunnel. Also, St Leonards Warrior Square and West St Leonards didn't have goods yards.
Very much so, because my friend has built a model railway - set between two tunnels, and with a double track station and a viaduct at the end of the platforms. We’ve got no room for even a siding (and the point of it is basically to run trains through a winter scene).
It looks right, but it’s nice to imagine that somewhere like this could be realistic as at some point we’ll be showing it.

Great point about Tunbridge Wells Central, and thanks to everyone else too. Very helpful as I thought you would be.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Very much so, because my friend has built a model railway - set between two tunnels, and with a double track station and a viaduct at the end of the platforms. We’ve got no room for even a siding (and the point of it is basically to run trains through a winter scene).
It looks right, but it’s nice to imagine that somewhere like this could be realistic as at some point we’ll be showing it.

Great point about Tunbridge Wells Central, and thanks to everyone else too. Very helpful as I thought you would be.

Cheers. I'm sure there were some others around. I'll add them if they spring to mind !

Come to think of it, Cooden Beach !

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Hope you have a nice Hastings 6B DEMU or similar if you go for the @yorksrob suggestion Mr C?
Do they do one in N yet? It wouldn’t be too much to imagine a pair from Brighton carrying on towards Plymouth via Okehampton if history had been different...

6EEBB17B-8DFE-456D-AC4D-0071C038EC71.jpeg
Work in progress...

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Do they do one in N yet? It wouldn’t be too much to imagine a pair from Brighton carrying on towards Plymouth via Okehampton if history had been different...

That makes me think a little bit of Garsdale, with Dandry Mire viaduct in the background !

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That makes me think a little bit of Garsdale, with Dandry Mire viaduct in the background !
It does me too. He’s captured a good bit of bleak moorland with it.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Not Southern, but Thatto Heath & Eccleston Park (between St. Helens & Huyton) never had a goods yard or siding.

randyrippley

Established Member
Upwey Wishing Well Halt
on the Dorchester - Weymouth route, just south of Bincliffe tunnel / Ridgeway hill.
The station was actually situated between the two arms of the roads Hairpin Bend

alternatively Upwey itself

delt1c

Established Member
Hope you have a nice Hastings 6B DEMU or similar if you go for the @yorksrob suggestion Mr C?
Ah Memories of the 6B, enjoying refreshment from the Buffet then returning to the 1st seat in the power car which was a single seat

delt1c

Established Member
plenty of stations in the London area which had 2 platforms but no goods facilities. Stoke Newington, Rectory Road, Stamford Hill, London Fields, Cambridge Heath to name a few

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Ah Memories of the 6B, enjoying refreshment from the Buffet then returning to the 1st seat in the power car which was a single seat

Those single seats are still very sought after on railtours !

delt1c

Established Member
Ah that sounds just perfect, sadly for me it's something I still need to sample someday.
The single seats (not many) were sheer bliss, the double seats in TSO were cramped to say the least.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Would be an interesting experience if they were still in regular mainline service today as many people are of a somewhat greater mass than back in the 1950s/60s...

delt1c

Established Member
Would be an interesting experience if they were still in regular mainline service today as many people are of a somewhat greater mass than back in the 1950s/60s...
Would be classified as 1+1 (pullman on the Hastings).

John Webb

Established Member
For an urban scene Woolwich Dockyard was between two tunnels. It had two short sidings to start with, but these had been removed, possibly on electrification in 1926, to allow the platforms to be extended for longer passenger trains. It also had an interesting connection beyond the tunnel on the London side to the Woolwich Dockyard. This trailed off the up line across the down line into a short tunnel under Woolwich Church Street before entering the Dockyard. Only a few hundred yards further on towards London there was yet another tunnel under Maryon Park.
But not a very scenic area to model!

Last edited:

Monarch010

The goods yard for Bexleyheath station was a few hundred yards away, on the other side of Brampton Road on what is now Foxhollow Drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.