• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Double Voyager in Cornwall

Status
Not open for further replies.

richw

Veteran Member
Just spotted a double super voyager (2 sets with 5 carriages) crossing the Angarrack Viaduct in Cornwall, about 2 mins ago. (2125). How come this is diagrammed down to here, have never seen a double voyager passing my house before. What reasons have cornwall received a double voyager tonight?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheBigD

Established Member
Shortage of Plymouth drivers. One of the Penzance services terminated at Plymouth and the set was attached to the following service so that the sets are in the correct position for tomorrow morning.

richw

Veteran Member
That makes sense actually, as there are normally two services, within an hour or so In the evening, and I only seen the one this evening.

TEW

Established Member
Not unheard of in the past either. 7 carriages can be used in Cornwall provided there is no Lostwithiel or Hayle call, so one of the end carriages would be locked out of use. When it's not booked though one set would be locked because of the lack of crew.

richw

Veteran Member
Not unheard of in the past either. 7 carriages can be used in Cornwall provided there is no Lostwithiel or Hayle call, so one of the end carriages would be locked out of use. When it's not booked though one set would be locked because of the lack of crew.

It was 2 sets of 5, so ten carriages rather than 7.

David10

Don't think Voyagers have Selective Door Opening, but as effectively a ECS move the rear set would have been locked.

dk1

Veteran Member
Don't think Voyagers have Selective Door Opening, but as effectively a ECS move the rear set would have been locked.

That is the usual procedure. Mind you it is annoying for passengers on very busy services to have an empty train on the back end. I would also say there may only be one trolley but XC doesn't bother with one West of Plymouth anyway <(

Martin_1981

That is the usual procedure. Mind you it is annoying for passengers on very busy services to have an empty train on the back end. I would also say there may only be one trolley but XC doesn't bother with one West of Plymouth anyway <(

I believe XC operate a trolley service on the Summer holiday trains to Newquay, but not on daily services to Penzance.

Status
Not open for further replies.