Dovetail Games - Train Simulator

Discussion in 'Modelling, Simulations & Games' started by AdamF, 14 Jan 2020.

1. AdamF

AdamF Member

Hello,

If I was to purchase Train Simulator 2019, would it be easy for me to find routes to add-on to it, or is it best for me to just purchase the latest 2020 game?

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Crossover

Crossover Established Member

I think it always has to be registered via Steam where it auto updates. I have always purchased direct through Steam so can't attest to third party sellers

4. JohnMcL7

JohnMcL7 Member

There's two different games, Train Simulator 2020 and Train Sim World 2020 which are quite different to each other.

Train simulator 2020 is the old version and if you have the previous year's version you get upgraded to each new base game for free. I can't remember how many years ago I bought the game but I have access to the current 2020 in my library. There's a truly mammoth amount of optional DLC offering a vast range of locomotives and routes but the game very much shows its age and the graphics are basic, I wasn't keen on the game as I find it fiddly and not very enjoyable.

Train Sim World 2020 is a brand new game with a completely new engine but it's not compatible with any the old DLC and the range of DLC is small It's getting better and there's now a few UK locomotives and routes, I find the design much better as routes are shorter and the game is simplified a bit which I find makes it a lot more enjoyable but I've seen some reviews where people despise this simplification and prefer the original game.

5. Crossover

Crossover Established Member

The latter is more graphics intensive too - it is built on the Unreal engine I believe so the graphics are nicer and it handles detail much better (on the 'older' game, certain routes lag even on a machine with a decent graphics card)