• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Down Chieftain to Up Sleeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

ge-gn

Next month I intend to catch the Down Highland Chieftain at Aviemore to Inverness to connect on to the Up Sleeper to London in order to maximise my time on the beds.

There seems to be plenty of time to achieve this connection on the face of it, but is the Chieftain reliable/punctual?

Any advice welcome. Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ge-gn

surely, if it's too late you could start the sleeper short at Aviemore?

I've booked from Inverness. Presumably if I didn't take up my berth there I would be a know show?

I was just wondering because if the HC is unreliable I would aim for an earlier train.

Iskra

Established Member
It’s quite often late, due to the sheer length of the journey creating many opportunities for things to go pear-shaped. The single track on the Highland Mainline can also amplify any delays. However, on the other hand there is quite a bit of recovery time built in at Edinburgh and Perth.

The best thing to do would be to track it on RTT on the day and if it leaves Edinburgh on time there’s a good chance it will stay that way.

Berneylegs

Book Sleeper from Aviemore
I've booked from Inverness. Presumably if I didn't take up my berth there I would be a know show?

I was just wondering because if the HC is unreliable I would aim for an earlier train.

Book Sleeper from Aviemore and I can’t see any issues if you board from Inverness being same price/train?

robbeech

Established Member
Just book from Inverness. If things are running late on the day just contact Caledonian sleeper by phone or by social media and tell them you’re delayed and will catch it at Aviemore. They’ll be absolutely fine with that.

cambsy

On Moderation
I have on 1st Class 7 day ALR, booked several 1st class single berths from Aviemore-Euston as was doing same as you, Highland Chieftain up and sleeeper back, got on sleeper at Inverness instead of Aviemore, as Highland chieftain was near enough on time, apart from the host being surprised to see me at Inverness were no problems, and did this several times in one week, so would book Aviemore-Eus, then if on time get on at Inverness, saves phoning etc, more time to relax and enjoy the journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.