• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Draughtiest stations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dren Ahmeti

Theale is a horribly bleak place when it’s bitterly cold as well.
I’ve waited at the London end of platform 1 before for a connection in the early hours of the morning and it was horrible, little to no shelter!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hermit

On the continent, I can remember being absolutely freezing on the platform at Mechelen (BE) as the platforms seemed to be very exposed indeed. At least the waiting rooms were warm enough.

That reminds me that my worst recent experience was in a gale at Brussels Midi, waiting for a connection from Eurostar to Antwerp. But at least Belgian stations still tend to have platform waiting rooms.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Köln Hbf with the wind coming from off the Rhein

My former local station Feldmoching in the suburbs of München depending on wind direction. But at least München doesn't see much rain - the reason it gets a high total rainfall is sudden summer showers which can produce as much rain in half an hour or less, than the piddly rain here can produce in a day or more.

trainmania100

Established Member
Southease is absolutely awful. Nice for shots from the footbridge but so windy even on sunny days it's unreal

Metal_gee_man

I vote Rochester, up high right next door to the River Medway/Thames Estuary a new station built with an underpass waiting area that gets absolutely crammed with waiting passengers who dash up the stairs at the last minute. Stand anywhere on the platform when it's rainy or windy you'll get cold, wet and pretty annoyed by the time a train arrives

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Praha-Podbaba (on the edge of the city) was fairly windy when I was waiting there due to being rather exposed on the edge of a hillside, and that was on a pretty sunny day.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Praha-Podbaba (on the edge of the city) was fairly windy when I was waiting there due to being rather exposed on the edge of a hillside, and that was on a pretty sunny day.

Like München, Praha mainly receives its rain in heavy but less frequent quantities. I was there in January and went to a few draughty stations, Holešovice being one of them.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Like München, Praha mainly receives its rain in heavy but less frequent quantities. I was there in January and went to a few draughty stations, Holešovice being one of them.

I second Holešovice - it feels very exposed.

RichJF

Redhill station. Up on an embankment/raised level high above the road.
All 4 platforms are open plan with structures/pillars on half the length of the platforms.
Two through running lines, so the wind whips through the middle of the station.

leytongabriel

Although in the 'soft south', Homerton Overground is pretty good for being 'blown away'. An elevated station,with little by way of shelter, in what is probably a wind tunnel between blocks of flats.

365 Networker

Birmingham New Street can get quit cold, mainly as no natural light can get to the platforms.

New Street. Especially platforms 3 and 4 as the wind blows straight down both tunnels

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I second queen street low level, it acts as a wind tunnel with the open air at each end and it can really be quite draughty in there

I'll add:

Manchester Piccadilly platforms 13&14. Both open to the elements & no waiting room anymore & can be bloody arctic.

Some of the underground stations can be cold too, the tube shape just makes em natural wind tunnels.

Accura

Rugby for me, especially platforms 5/6. Similarly to Manchester Picc 13/14 raised and exposed to the elements.

K.o.R

Finsbury Park Kentish Town Northern Line platform exits. The wind through there was so strong I literally could not walk down the tunnel.

Last edited:

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Finsbury Park Northern Line platform exits. The wind through there was so strong I literally could not walk down the tunnel.

I'm trying to think how long the tunnels must be to link Finsbury Park station to the Northern Line... can't be much fun, wind or no wind...

K.o.R

I'm trying to think how long the tunnels must be to link Finsbury Park station to the Northern Line... can't be much fun, wind or no wind...

Gah, not Finsbury Park, Kentish Town. I don't know why I keep confusing the two, especially since I have literally never been to Finsbury Park.

RailWonderer

Established Member
Long Buckby is usually 10 degrees colder than the outside temperature. Bletchley as well. Although I have not had to use Man Pic 13 and 14, being on RF long enough I have learned it is apparently the worst place on Earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.