• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dream train design!

Status
Not open for further replies.

If you could design a new unit, what parts would you implement from other past units, to make it successful?

For example I would have the body profile of a 378, the motors from a 323, the strong solid lasting build from the 156 and 150s, a interior with strong light coloured wooden panels or light blue, with seats from a 170 and other fittings from a Chiltern mk3. A other option would be the same except a exterior design of the Aventra or Sweden X50, with more curves, a windscreen that didn't sit back and larger, high intensity 378 headlights.

So what is your dream mix and match train?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aictos

Established Member
I would be happy with a 444 type but dual voltage, seats as used on the SWT 158s, electric plugs for every seat and improved WiFi/3G reception.

That aside I would love to see something based on the SNCBs HLE 13's sets :)

fgwrich

Established Member
Simple, Anything from CAF or Hyundai Rotem. Excellent build quility in either unit, with a very spacious interior in the CAF, and a interior layout based around the Mk3 - and designed in Lemington Spa, in the Rotem 22000.

Kali

A developed APT, with interior from the best of the Pullmans. It'd have a gas-turbine generator powercar option ( mostly for the sound of it ).

What's it meant to do?

Forgot about the bi mode! I would love a CAF4000; you can tell the interior quality is better as it has the same engine as a 172, but there is no vibration humming through the panels!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
How about.... Loco hauled AND unit ( both diesel and electric ) stock with the bodyshell design of the class 175, the window height of the Desiro range, seats as soft as those on the former TPE class 158s, the rolling suspension motion of the Mk3 and an internal lighting level equivalent to the days of tungsten lighting on a Mk1?

bronzeonion

Class 378 with 3 doors and normal width gangways between coaches with normal slide doors, maybe slightly modified colour scheme for interior, more strap hangers. Make it 8 car and ther you have it!

Oswyntail

Established Member
I would like to accommodate the front-end design of the 1st generation Trans-Pennine DMUs (or, failing that, the 333s)

Yew

Established Member
158 bodyshell, 170 drivetrain, IC80 seats. Maybe some sort of small gas turbine engine, maybe a small 1Mw per carriage, of course with lots of noise insulation and cancellation

Anything aslong as its 9 coaches minimum for passengers and 1 for luggage, like a modern day BG.

colchesterken

Big comfey seats, big windows, seats that match the windows for a good view, top opening windows for real fresh air, walk through the train, look into middle cab window to see how fast going.
oops sounds like a class 309

RobShipway

Established Member
Six car train, that is hybrid so that it has diesel engines underneath, pantograph in the middle of the train and third rail shoegear at each end.

The style of the train would have a mix of 180/395 frontage, but such that it could be changed to have a multiple working door come out of the rounded nose such that it could be coupled to another train both in it's class or be able to be coupled to a 390 or 395.

Oh, well it will never happen so I might as well keep on dreaming!

Blindtraveler

Established Member
A rebuilt and extended 222 with the abilitty to be hauled by a 67 away from the wires and with a 390 tilt and traction pack with both panto and 3rd rail guear as its maint traction. 11 car with 1.5 being a wetherspoons franchise serving food and drink, half a coach being luggage and the remaining 9 being 2 plus 2 leather reclining coach style seats with plugs and free high speed wifi

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
My dream train design is already out there... The Pacer

I think that's called a nightmare :lol:

That refurbished 332 interior does look nice, and if we were to consider a good inter-urban DMU, a bunch of Class 175s fitted with a similar interior would be my choice (obviously with greater reliability too). I'd fit 2+1 seating in first class though!

Status
Not open for further replies.