• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dress code - interview for internal non-uniformed job

Status
Not open for further replies.

smoky_bacon

I got invited for interview for internal job based in an office. Now I am trying to work out what to wear on the day.

My guess is that I should go for normal interview smart appearance and not uniform as this is quite a big jump in grades and proper smart clothes could show that I really want it (which is true) and I don't treat this one as just one of the many interviews, ie. for lower graded posts (which is also true). If I'm right, better to go for full suit or wearing shirt+tie but no jacket is smart enough?

It all might sound like a silly question but firstly I don't want to commit faux pas (not due to ignorance, but cultural differences) and secondly it's always better to ask ;)

If it helps, when I visited the office some of the staff there were wearing smarter clothes, but some just polo+jeans and the application included assessment (quite tough aptitude tests, which I think best show suitability and skills for the job) and I think I did OK/good, however letters inviting for interview were sent before the assessment.

Any advice?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TDK

Established Member
I got invited for interview for internal job based in an office. Now I am trying to work out what to wear on the day.

My guess is that I should go for normal interview smart appearance and not uniform as this is quite a big jump in grades and proper smart clothes could show that I really want it (which is true) and I don't treat this one as just one of the many interviews, ie. for lower graded posts (which is also true). If I'm right, better to go for full suit or wearing shirt+tie but no jacket is smart enough?

It all might sound like a silly question but firstly I don't want to commit faux pas (not due to ignorance, but cultural differences) and secondly it's always better to ask ;)

If it helps, when I visited the office some of the staff there were wearing smarter clothes, but some just polo+jeans and the application included assessment (quite tough aptitude tests, which I think best show suitability and skills for the job) and I think I did OK/good, however letters inviting for interview were sent before the assessment.

Any advice?

If the interview is in work hours wear your uniform if not a suit

tlionhart

You could wear your uniform. Whether its your day off or not. Shows your happy to work for them. I wouldn't say TDK's answer is wrong. That's an alternative. It really depends how smart your uniform is. If its a shirt, tie and smart troussers for a uniform then wear that. Make sure it's clean. If not, it's just a pair of black troussers and a polo tshirt then wear a suit.

smoky_bacon

You could wear your uniform. Whether its your day off or not. Shows your happy to work for them. I wouldn't say TDK's answer is wrong. That's an alternative. It really depends how smart your uniform is. If its a shirt, tie and smart troussers for a uniform then wear that. Make sure it's clean. If not, it's just a pair of black troussers and a polo tshirt then wear a suit.

It's a shirt, tie & smart trousers. I don't see it as very smart (maybe because I'm used to wearing it and seeing lot of staff in it...), however I got feedback from previous interviews when I wore it that smart appearance & posture made a very good first impression.
The interview day would be normally my work day but it's within my working hours so I am released for interview & paid as I though was working.

Yew

Established Member
I would be tempted to wear your uniform then, as it seems to be pretty smart, just make sure its clean, and dont spill your lunch on it!

whhistle

On Moderation
I don't know why people are suggesting you should go in uniform. You're not at work.

I wouldn't go for an interview in a work uniform. I've never been to an interview wearing a uniform and never seen anyone at an interview wearing one either. To me, being on the other side, it would give me the impression the person has no other smart clothes. Plus, if you find yourself there wearing your uniform and being the only one, then it'll knock your confidence because you'll feel stupid.

You can't go wrong with smart, it shows professionality (yes I know that's not a word). But lean towards the casual side of it. No jeans.

I generally wear smart-casual shoes (like these), smart trousers, a shirt with a tie and a tank top (jumper with no sleeves). If I find it's too smart, I can take the tie off and look smart-casual fairly easily.

Last edited:

tlionhart

You could always ask a line manager?
If its a smart uniform anyway, then wear that. Lets face it, we all get bored of our uniforms. I would probably wear my uniform. I would of course make sure its dry cleaned, shirt nicely ironed and the shoes neatly polished. Its a bit of a tough one to answer, without working for the company. If they always go on about staff not wearing the uniform correctly, then I would certainly wear it and to their standard. Suits are good, but its all down on the image you give. Posture, appearance, etc I have had several internal interviews within my current job (I'm in the airline industry as crew) and have always turned up in my uniform. Within my job, the way we wear the uniform is really important. If someone isn't wearing it correctly then a member of management comes down on the individual like a ton of bricks!
If your current uniform was casual wear, then yes, I would go with the suit. Other than that, I would wear my uniform as I think it shows your happy to work for the company and cheesy as this may sound, but happy to represent them as a company by wearing their uniform. Just my opinion, but I don't think its a stupid question as I don't work for the same company as you do, so Im not sure what your workplace is like. Its actually a lot tougher then other members on here make it sound without working for the same company as you do. Im not knocking other peoples opinions, but its something you need to make a judgement on.

Last edited:

Benbow

Full suit, tie and smart (shiny) shoes every time! If your interviewer is dressed less smartly it's not a problem, it just shows you made an effort with your appearance and care about the outcome.

LCC106

Established Member
Have interviewed an internal candidate for a transfer between divisions before now. She was on duty at the time of interview but made the effort to change in to smart clothing from uniform. The interviewing manager, who was seeing 3 other internals, really picked up on this and her professional approach altogether compared with others and she got the job. OK, not the railway industry, but if you are serious about the role, dress to impress bearing in mind there may also be external candidates.

Ascot

Established Member
I'd advise NOT to wear a uniform of sorts for your interview. Clean shoes with proper polish and toothbrush around with pure black socks. Shirt (long or short sleeved) with a tie that you are comfortable in (warm or cool colours depending on your style) done in a Windsor knot with the bottom of the tie just touching your belt. See if you go well with a Tiebar (not clips or pins as I find they ruin ties more easily). 2 pcs suit including jacket with internal pockets for your essentials and trousers with pockets completely empty. Try and not wear a coat over your jacket when in the office. You will probably dress better than the interviewer so don't worry about that.

For an Interview I have had white shirts all the time with a mixture of Red tie with white breakers, also an all orange tie patterned with natural silk. You must go with what you are comfortable in be it spots or stripes or plain since you don't have to worry about your image during the interview. Forget all this "nu style" shoe/shirt style for an interview as you are showing you can be formal and able to look after yourself. Keep the Hawaiian/flamboyant styles for when you have the job and can relax to the environment.

EDIT: All this maybe trivial but when everyone else is coming in with jumpers or just ties or uniforms it really does stand out and gives the panel something to go home with.

Bubba

Full suit, tie and smart (shiny) shoes every time! If your interviewer is dressed less smartly it's not a problem, it just shows you made an effort with your appearance and care about the outcome.

Totally agree. Dress to impress; it is impossible to over-dress for a job interview.

TDK

Established Member
I don't know why people are suggesting you should go in uniform. You're not at work.

I.

But he is in work hours and getting paid - it is essential that he wears his uniform or it may be goodbye job

Wath Yard

Interview = suit, even if you know full well you won't be expected to wear one if you get the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.