Drinking fountains to be trialled at London Charing Cross

Discussion in 'Infrastructure & Stations' started by theageofthetra, 13 Feb 2018.

1. theageofthetra

theageofthetra Established Member

NR SE have stated that they are introducing water fountains at CHX and will be rolling them out across their managed stations.
    https://www.networkrail.co.uk/feeds...-splash-with-free-drinking-water-at-stations/

An excellent initiative and will help reduce the ridiculous amount of waste caused by single use plastic bottles.

Our drinking fountain provision in this country is a disgrace compared to say Australia or even the US and this is a step in the right direction.

Don't even get me started on the lack of them at our airports.

Last edited by a moderator: 13 Feb 2018
  2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. GW43125

GW43125 Established Member

I think it’s a great idea, as I usually only carry one bottle and I’m absolutely patched by the evening.

We do have them in some airports, Gatwick does, the issue is getting the bottle through security!

4. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

Never had any issue getting an empty bottle with the lid removed through airport security. Those fountains are provided specifically for that reason; Luton has them too.

Agree, it's good to see them making a return at stations.

5. telstarbox

telstarbox Established Member

Good idea.

On my last few flights I've taken an empty reusable bottle through security with no problems then filled it up airside.

6. theageofthetra

You can take an empty plastic bottle through security. I also take one of those <100ml super concentrated juices to make a drink up once airside- handy also in countries where local products aren't sugar free or of dubious quality.

Am yet to find any fountains non airside at Stansted and there is only one well hidden away at T5 LHR.

7. frodshamfella

frodshamfella Member

Great, put them as many places as possible and get away from buying plastic bottles of water.

8. Romilly

Romilly Established Member

The Drinking Fountain Association, founded in 1859 and previously known as the Metropolitan Drinking Fountain and Cattle Trough Association, has a useful website include a directory of locations of drinking fountains.

See http://drinkingfountains.org/

9. SamYeager

SamYeager Member

In principle the idea is good since so many people seem incapable of recycling their bottles. I do wonder however how long it will be before there are complaints about the costs of installing all these fountains and the subsequent maintenance costs to ensure the water is not contaminated.

10. route:oxford

route:oxford Established Member

They don't dispense sparkling water though.

11. 387star

387star Established Member

I would be worried about the quality of the water?

Surely this could spread diseases?

12. Bletchleyite

Tap water in the UK is safe to drink.

Only if they are poorly designed so you could put your mouth round the spout.

13. Bletchleyite

Reduce and re-use come before recycle, so even if every last one was being recycled it is still better.

14. westv

westv Established Member

I do feel slightly bemused that people feel they must carry around a bottle of water wherever they go. Yes, we need to drink it but do we really need it available 24/7? Would it create a crisis if were without it for a short part of our day?
    I'm obviously not including anybody that might, for example, have a medical need.

15. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Less need at this time of year admitted, but train operators do recommend passengers bring water with them, especially in the Summer months. Passengers do become dehydrated, especially on London Underground's deep tube lines. And you never know when a delay is going to occur.

16. Bevan Price

Bevan Price Established Member

There used to be drinking water fountains or taps on most of the larger stations in Scotland - sometimes with a metal cup chained to a wall - and also on various stations in England & Wales, plus in many town centres & public parks. Not sure why most of them disappeared - maybe vandalism, or a desire to extract money from customers to boost sales in refreshment rooms ?

17. Bromley boy

Bromley boy Established Member

If it’s a tap to fill a bottle, fine.

A drinking fountain loads of people have slobbered over was unappealing enough at school, let alone in the average London terminal with all and sundry having access to it.

18. mark-h

mark-h Member

As well as the bottle filling tap there should also be a drinking fountain that is able to be used directly for people to have a quick slurp from. I think I have seen bottle filling taps which are difficult to drink directly from requiring the user to use a cup or bottle.

I have seen combined units with two outlets although there is usually only enough water pressure to use one at a time.

19. theageofthetra

The type you find all over US airports have both and at two different heights for disabled/children. The Aussie ones are in some places even filtered and cooled.

20. MG11

MG11 On Moderation

If this is introduced at all Network Rail station, what about the impact on sales of water from the catering trolley, i.e. EMT from ST Pancras?

21. Clip

Clip On Moderation

What about it? If they cant price their drinks good enough to sell them then they should give up trying to sell them.

One thinks that you may now work for RG after your failed attempt at becoming an RPI the way you go on about them

22. HowardGWR

HowardGWR Established Member

Leaving a big airport like Gatwick, you could be faced with a 3 or 4 hour journey and we find that a bottle of water is just the ticket for such a long time on a train with no trolley facilities (Southern to Southampton via Barnham, looking at you!). A drinking tap/ fountain at Gatwick station concourse, clearly signposted, would be much appreciated.

23. Pete_uk

Pete_uk Member

But tastes horrible which is why people buy bottled water.

24. Edinburgh2000

Edinburgh2000 Member

Well, that depends on the part of the UK in which you live! :D

25. theageofthetra

Numerous stories of
    Hopefully will reduce this overpriced and wasteful practice.

26. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

Work - Fenny Stratford(MK) Home - Darlington
    Christ on a bike. Disease? really?

Tap water is perfectly fine in the UK.

Last edited by a moderator: 14 Feb 2018
  27. westv

westv Established Member

I drink tap water all the time. Tastes fine to me. I'm sure I've seen surveys in the past where people have blind tasted water from various sources and tap water always scores high.

28. westv

westv Established Member

But it isn't summer now. If we didn't have this obsession with water we might not be in the predicament with plastic bottles we have now.

29. Bletchleyite

There are some areas where it tastes somewhat overchlorinated, but there are plenty of filtering devices on the market to remove this at the point of use. Even if not fitted to the fountains plenty of filter bottles are available. But that isn't the case in all or even most of the UK, it depends largely on local delivery infrastructure.

30. Edinburgh2000

Edinburgh2000 Member

Indeed. And I would always be much happier drinking water from the tap, which will have been through a water treatment works no more than 24 hours previously, than risk drinking from a bottle that could have been on the shelf unrefrigerated for days or even weeks. And our water in Scotland tastes great from the tap, thanks very much!

31. Bletchleyite

Not to mention leaching from the plastic bottles. Though be aware that aluminium bottles (the cheap unlined ones; SIGG bottles have a BPA-free plastic lining) are no better. I was having headaches and switched to stainless steel and not only did it taste better but the headaches stopped.