• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Driver Finals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lewis H

Bit of an odd one, not really sure this is the right section for this thread, however ...

I was due to be assessed for my driver finals before training was put on hold at the beginning of ‘lockdown’. So since the beginning of March (I had some annual leave too), I haven’t driven a train or put Rules into actual practice.

I received an email today inviting me for my Part 2 on the 10th July, this is the Sims section, and that’s great news, however, I’m concerned that being out of practice for so long may have some effect. I am on top of rules, but that’s only in regards to reading my notes, putting them into practice may be completely different, and everybody knows, it’s 2 goes and you’re out!

I have been told that I can get some time with my DI beforehand to go through whatever I need, however I am not really sure the best method of putting this stuff into practice. It’s not possible for me to use the simulators before my assessment and tabletop train kits really don’t have the same sort of training benefit for me personally, it really feels like you’re just reading from the book and there is no pressure or realism to it!

Any suggestions, hints, tips will be most welcome!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lewis H

They really should let you practise on sims not fair really .
It would be ideal, however even before all of this, getting some time on the sims wasn’t a thing. I believe this is because they are used for various training points during rules and then obviously assessments.

dctraindriver

It would be ideal, however even before all of this, getting some time on the sims wasn’t a thing. I believe this is because they are used for various training points during rules and then obviously assessments.
Lewis, speak to your DI, your manager and also your LDC. Explain your concerns. I can assure you the company do not want you to fail but any concerns speak to them as soon as you can.

The company fully understand your worries and it’s been discussed at all levels, so speak up and let them know. Good luck. Pleased things are moving on for you, and hopefully others wherever you are in the process.

ComUtoR

Established Member
They really should let you practise on sims not fair really .

Welcome to the reality of driving a train. You will go years without ever encountering a specific scenario. In my entire career I have never ever encountered temp block working. If I was out driving tomorrow and the Signaller belled me up and told me that Temp Block was in use. I would need to recall my knowledge at a moments notice.

I was due to be assessed for my driver finals...

Then you were considered to be competent. I appreciate the nerves; we have all been there but consider that your DI and your Manager considered you to be ready. Now is the time for confidence. Before lockdown, did you believe you were ready ? If so, what's changed ? Lockdown has affected us all and even as a Driver the downtime has affected my driving. That's part and parcel of the job. This job needs a lot of mental strength. Have the confidence in your skills, have the confidence in your training and have confidence in the others that have put you forward for 'Finals'

I have been told that I can get some time with my DI beforehand to go through whatever I need,

That is your opportunity to address anything YOU need to make that final push. Get some driving hours in, refresh each route, get some dark driving in too. Speak with your DI and Manager and address any concerns you have and if you need, defer your final assessment date. There is no shame to it and tbh it's better to go in confident and ready; than fail and resit. My TOC tends to have a single go mentality but they don't push you for a date and the decision to that the final assessment is down to the Trainee.

As dctraindriver says; Nobody wants you to fail so support will be available when you ask for it.

I just don't understand this 2 strikes and you are out rule. At the TOC and FOC I've worked at no such rule is in place. Don't get me wrong, if you get something majorly wrong it had been known where the company may turn around and question of driving is for you. I've known driver's fail the Sims 3 or 4 times and still carried on.

joystick

Unfortunately some are like that ,that's why they should give you an hour in the sim before,not to much to ask really.

SlimJim1694

Good luck with this mate, my advice would be to tactfully raise your concerns with the instructor and the managers like others have said. They didnt put you through this far to fail. But if you genuinely aren't ready you need to say something now as it wont help you after the event.

Timpg

I must admit I do feel for you. I was told to stay at home after reaching near 60hrs and close to my 1st manager ride out. After being at home all this time, I feel more nervous of going back than I did when I 1st started. I’m sure there will be some sort of procedure to be put in place to help develop trainees back into the workplace. Even if it means resetting the clock on driving hours.

Established Member
Bit of an odd one, not really sure this is the right section for this thread, however ...

I was due to be assessed for my driver finals before training was put on hold at the beginning of ‘lockdown’. So since the beginning of March (I had some annual leave too), I haven’t driven a train or put Rules into actual practice.

I received an email today inviting me for my Part 2 on the 10th July, this is the Sims section, and that’s great news, however, I’m concerned that being out of practice for so long may have some effect. I am on top of rules, but that’s only in regards to reading my notes, putting them into practice may be completely different, and everybody knows, it’s 2 goes and you’re out!

I have been told that I can get some time with my DI beforehand to go through whatever I need, however I am not really sure the best method of putting this stuff into practice. It’s not possible for me to use the simulators before my assessment and tabletop train kits really don’t have the same sort of training benefit for me personally, it really feels like you’re just reading from the book and there is no pressure or realism to it!

I can only echo was others have said. Get some time in with a DI, and refresh your rules and you should be ready in no time.

Most importantly, if you don’t feel ready, speak up BEFORE your assessment.

I just don't understand this 2 strikes and you are out rule. At the TOC and FOC I've worked at no such rule is in place. Don't get me wrong, if you get something majorly wrong it had been known where the company may turn around and question of driving is for you. I've known driver's fail the Sims 3 or 4 times and still carried on.

Certainly the TOC I trained had had an “unwritten” two strikes policy. If someone failed their ICA they’d be sent back out with a different DI. The second go wasn’t guaranteed, though, and some only got one shot (although you had to screw up pretty badly to be in that category). I certainly wasn’t aware of anyone being given a third go.

Ultimately, it might sound harsh, but if you can’t meet the standard required first or second time, maybe driving isn’t for you.

dctraindriver

Unfortunately some are like that ,that's why they should give you an hour in the sim before,not to much to ask really.

I believe he’s at the same TOC as me. You get a run through on the sim beginning of the day before the assessment. In essence the sim is a practical rules exam. If he is on top of his rules he will be ok.

Lewis H

Appreciate all of the replies, I think because it’s come so suddenly it’s knocked me a bit, I sort of expected to be eased back into it I suppose.

I believe he’s at the same TOC as me. You get a run through on the sim beginning of the day before the assessment. In essence the sim is a practical rules exam. If he is on top of his rules he will be ok.

I was speaking to another trainee yesterday and he told me you get a run through from Easton to Weston, to get the feel for it and familiarise the route a bit.

I am fairly confident on the rules, I think, the difference is, beforehand, talking about it day in day out with your instructor, to go months with only your rule book to read, makes me feel out of practice.

I’m meeting with a couple of DI’s tomorrow to go through some rules refreshers and simkit stuff, so this will ease my mind!

Established Member

I’ve always understood that’s the same at most TOCs?

Where I trained there were two sims. One was a PC with controls which you could actually “drive”. That was really only used to put the rules course into practice.

The faults/failures/rules sim assessment was done on a screen with a mouse only. It was a nightmare because you had to use the mouse to control the speed and cancel the AWS and DSD. Inevitably that meant you kept coming up in a heap, which didn’t exactly help with the stress levels!

LCC106

Established Member
Lewis, speak to your DI, your manager and also your LDC. Explain your concerns. I can assure you the company do not want you to fail but any concerns speak to them as soon as you can.

The company fully understand your worries and it’s been discussed at all levels, so speak up and let them know. Good luck. Pleased things are moving on for you, and hopefully others wherever you are in the process.
Without FULLY reading any other responses, THIS! If you are not comfortable with the practical side of the assessment, tell them NOW! Say that you need further time in the seat. Do it by email if possible so you have traceability. As dctraindriver says, the company does not want you to fail but by raising it in writing so to speak you have some comeback if things don’t go your way on the day.

Stigy

Established Member

This really hits home with me, mate.

I’m due my sim assessment imminently and have a feeling I’ll just receive an invite to attend without having driven a train for so long. I appreciate it’s about out of course situations rather than driving the actual train, but even so.

My personal view would be to openly address concerns, and if you fail it twice, you’ve got a potential appeal case. It’s all well and good people saying “that’s life on the railway.....”, but would it really hurt them to get you back to in cab training for a few hours first? I’m not sure about your TOC (your terminology says it’s SWR...), but where I am our group has probably totalled about 4hrs sim time between us during classroom training. On a class of train we will hardly ever drive.

Best of luck to you whatever happens!

choochoochoo

Established Member
Without FULLY reading any other responses, THIS! If you are not comfortable with the practical side of the assessment, tell them NOW! Say that you need further time in the seat. Do it by email if possible so you have traceability. As dctraindriver says, the company does not want you to fail but by raising it in writing so to speak you have some comeback if things don’t go your way on the day.
As said above, if you're not ready, even if they think you are, tell the management, as suggested above, via email. Make sure you copy your union reps in too.

There is a lot of pressure on management to be seen to get drivers through the training process as quickly as possible to fill vacancies/shortfalls at depots. So much so that drivers can pass out on routes/traction they never drive and then sit around waiting to learn what they really need. But as long as they pass out it shows in management statistics as another driver trained successfully.

Therefore, don't be rushed. Totally natural to be rusty, and good managers would know this and encourage refreshers with DIs.

Good luck OP

Lewis H

Again thanks for all the responses, I had a refresher session yesterday with a couple of DI’s and I feel slightly more confident that I do know my stuff, however actually being in the seat on the day putting it into practice, being ‘rusty’ does concern me. I have raised my concerns and I have more sessions pencilled in before the day comes, and I’m fairly certain if I turned around and said that I don’t think I’m best placed to pass the assessment, I would get further help if needed.

TeaTrain

Nice one! Gives me a bit of confidence as I wait to start my training! Ready to get started now!

HeelBurton

I passed for any of those who are interested, panic over!

was Never in doubt mate. I knew your ability, having done your 50 or 100 hour assessment in a previous life before I left the company... well done and sorry I didn’t congratulate you sooner.

Status
Not open for further replies.