• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Driver job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philcycles84

Hi all

This is my first post here so I'm not too sure on what I can or can't post, but, I'll remain polite of course.

I've been in the industry for 4 1/2 years now. Been trying to reach driver for 2 1/2 of those years. I can't seem to get past the application stage. I get denied right out of the gate. I sometimes make it to online assessment but, even giving the best answers I can, I still get shot down. Any advice?

Also, I recently did manage to do stage 1 of the driver assessment with the company "OPC" but, though I passed, I wasnt offered stage 2.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mgv1349

Hi all

This is my first post here so I'm not too sure on what I can or can't post, but, I'll remain polite of course.

I've been in the industry for 4 1/2 years now. Been trying to reach driver for 2 1/2 of those years. I can't seem to get past the application stage. I get denied right out of the gate. I sometimes make it to online assessment but, even giving the best answers I can, I still get shot down. Any advice?

Also, I recently did manage to do stage 1 of the driver assessment with the company "OPC" but, though I passed, I wasnt offered stage 2.
You passed stage 1 but didn’t get to stage 2? Was this at the assessment day?? All I could think with that is that they required enhanced passes and you got National.

Philcycles84

You passed stage 1 but didn’t get to stage 2? Was this at the assessment day?? All I could think with that is that they required enhanced passes and you got National.

Full story

I took the driver assessment in September 2015. In this I took short term memory (glow), group bourdon and TEA OCC. I passed the assessment but failed interview.

Fast forward 5 years. I apply for same company and they give me assessment day. Great. Unfortunately, the very next day I have to sit interview for a different, freight job. I don't mind, I just want to drive.

So. I go to assessment day and pass. Never had a problem with them. Once again, short term memory, group bourdon and Tea OCC. They say, if I pass interview I come for stage 2.

Next day, I go for interview with freight, tell them I took stage 1 and passed, fantastic interview, friendly people. Never heard from them again.

I'm at wit's end! I don't know what on earth is happening. I know it's competetive but this is odd

DRS66421

Hi all

Hello, did you have to do the OPC Visual Search Exercise (VSE) and the OPC Magnificent Situational Judgement Test (M7SJT) which you do at home?
Do you know if you can sit these tests as many times as you like or if these tests count as one of your lives?
In my late teens. Trying to get my foot in the door. It’s a daily battle for me.
Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Philcycles84

Hello, did you have to do the OPC Visual Search Exercise (VSE) and the OPC Magnificent Situational Judgement Test (M7SJT) which you do at home?
Do you know if you can sit these tests as many times as you like or if these tests count as one of your lives?
In my late teens. Trying to get my foot in the door. It’s a daily battle for me.
Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

I have not done those yet. That would have been stage 2. If you say you did them at home, that sounds very much like practice material and so not one of your lives. If you fail in the centre where you sit down with maybe 30 others, that woild cost a life.

My advice? If you get to actual assessments don't be afraid to ask questions, no matter how daft they may seem.

DRS66421

I have not done those yet. That would have been stage 2. If you say you did them at home, that sounds very much like practice material and so not one of your lives. If you fail in the centre where you sit down with maybe 30 others, that woild cost a life.

My advice? If you get to actual assessments don't be afraid to ask questions, no matter how daft they may seem.
Many thanks.

Mgv1349

Full story

I took the driver assessment in September 2015. In this I took short term memory (glow), group bourdon and TEA OCC. I passed the assessment but failed interview.

Fast forward 5 years. I apply for same company and they give me assessment day. Great. Unfortunately, the very next day I have to sit interview for a different, freight job. I don't mind, I just want to drive.

So. I go to assessment day and pass. Never had a problem with them. Once again, short term memory, group bourdon and Tea OCC. They say, if I pass interview I come for stage 2.

Next day, I go for interview with freight, tell them I took stage 1 and passed, fantastic interview, friendly people. Never heard from them again.

I'm at wit's end! I don't know what on earth is happening. I know it's competetive but this is odd
That’s a strange one, I didn’t do an interview until I’d already done my stage one and stage 2 (MMI on stage 2) then I said my manager interview, I think if you apply now then you’ll go straight through to the stage 2 at the OPC, have the OPC said if you lost a life or not with it only being an interview? Which freight company was it?

Stigy

Established Member

That’s not stage two. They are the assessments you’re made to take at home if the TOC or FOC you are applying to used “enhanced” psychometric testing. And yes, it counts as a life, but only towards an enhanced pass mark.

Mgv1349

That’s not stage two. They are the assessments you’re made to take at home if the TOC or FOC you are applying to used “enhanced” psychometric testing. And yes, it counts as a life, but only towards an enhanced pass mark.
I still think it’s crazy how they can take a life off you for a test you do at home!

Stigy

Established Member
I still think it’s crazy how they can take a life off you for a test you do at home!
Same here, which is why I was almost in denial until the OPC all but confirmed it :)

To take a life off you for a test which, let’s face it, could be completed by your best mate’s uncle’s cousin is ludicrous. It works both ways too. What’s the point? A genius could do it who does ten a day, so where’s the benefit? It’s also not regulated and relies on technology to be working properly. Luckily I passed mine even after my phone rang mid-assessment (I was using a Mac and I didn’t even think about the “computer ringing” even if my phone was on silent).

Mgv1349

Same here, which is why I was almost in denial until the OPC all but confirmed it :)

To take a life off you for a test which, let’s face it, could be completed by your best mate’s uncle’s cousin is ludicrous.
Haha yeah I never really thought of it like that, luckily my other half took the kids out so I could make it like my own little test centre lol

Stigy

Established Member
Haha yeah I never really thought of it like that, luckily my other half took the kids out so I could make it like my own little test centre lol
Same here, although that didn’t stop me discounting the fact that the computer would ring (I amended my post above as you posted so it might only make sense if you look at my edit) lol.

Mgv1349

Same here, although that didn’t stop me discounting the fact that the computer would ring (I amended my post above as you posted so it might only make sense if you look at my edit) lol.
Yeah it does now lol, I think I’d lose all concentration if that happened to me.

GG96LFC

This is interesting as it seems others have been told different things by the OPC in contrast to what they have told me and others. I recently failed the VSE at home for the second time, and it was for a company using enhanced standard. However the OPC told me it didn’t affect my ‘two lives.’ However I have passed all other tests at Stage 1&2 assessment centres so this may be a factor in determining if your ‘at home’ assessments count as a ‘life.’ At the time I did ask OPC for more details but they said they cannot elaborate too much due to legal restrictions

baz962

Established Member
But did they mean that your other test results were unaffected , or that you could take the vse again. As far as I'm aware and going on what they told me , you can apply to companies that don't use the vse , but still can apply for any that don't. I originally did my psychometrics with another company that used enhanced , but not the vse or mag 7 sjt.

GG96LFC

They said both my stage 1&2 results were unaffected, and also that I can apply to the company that used VSE. I also did the M7SJE and passed it, so maybe that is a factor also

Stigy

Established Member
They said both my stage 1&2 results were unaffected, and also that I can apply to the company that used VSE. I also did the M7SJE and passed it, so maybe that is a factor also
I was told that initially too, however I’ve since been told otherwise, as it appears most have here too. I still think it’s debatable, but since most had been told it does count as a life lost if you fail, I think the common consensus was that that’s how it is and if applicants err on this side, it’s being safe if nothing else and will prevent any disappointment. If they failed twice and were told in fact have another go, that’s all good. It would be good if there were a few members who have passed on their third attempt. That would put it to bed, lol. I should emphasise that it was the OPC who have said both. If they don’t even know, there’s no hope.

GG96LFC

I was told that initially too, however I’ve since been told otherwise, as it appears most have here too. I still think it’s debatable, but since most had been told it does count as a life lost if you fail, I think the common consensus was that that’s how it is and if applicants err on this side, it’s being safe if nothing else and will prevent any disappointment. If they failed twice and were told in fact have another go, that’s all good. It would be good if there were a few members who have passed on their third attempt. That would put it to bed, lol. I should emphasise that it was the OPC who have said both. If they don’t even know, there’s no hope.
I know man, it’s all a bit crazy. To make it even more confusing, I once applied to a company that used ‘high enhanced standards’ (the words of the OPC) but they didn’t even require the VSE or M7SJE at home. It was just apply, stage 1, stage 2. All I can do (and anyone else in a similar situation) is just apply and hope for the best. I’ve got a full set of assessment passes so hopefully the opportunity to apply in my area is possible before they expire

JLyons

You can’t lose a life doing a test from home, nor do you lose ‘enhanced lives’ only way to lose a life is at a test centre if you don’t meet national standard.

baz962

Established Member
You can’t lose a life doing a test from home, nor do you lose ‘enhanced lives’ only way to lose a life is at a test centre if you don’t meet national standard.
Well the opc definitely told me that you do in fact lose lives in both situations.

Stigy

Established Member
Well the opc definitely told me that you do in fact lose lives in both situations.
The latter is almost definitely correct. You do lose a life at enhanced level. The VSE etc, I was told you didn’t lose a life by OPC, but as I said above, judging by others’ experiences, I think that’s incorrect. It may be that you can only do the VSE etc twice so in effect lose a life at enhanced standard, rather than the VSE having a direct impact on the psychometric assessments done under monitored conditions.

JLyons

The latter is almost definitely correct. You do lose a life at enhanced level. The VSE etc, I was told you didn’t lose a life by OPC, but as I said above, judging by others’ experiences, I think that’s incorrect. It may be that you can only do the VSE etc twice so in effect lose a life at enhanced standard, rather than the VSE having a direct impact on the psychometric assessments done under monitored conditions.

I also asked about that as I was concerned, and they categorically said there’s no such thing as enhanced lives and standard lives. There’s only one standard and that’s the RSSB standard, anything else is make up by the TOC in question. So whether or not they have their own ruling on taking enhanced or not not is one thing but it’s not industry wide

baz962

Established Member
I don't think that you lose a psychometric life Stigy. I already had enhanced passes . In fact high enough for every toc , but had failed a dmi. Had done the vse and mag 7 sjt online and while waiting , got an invite to test centre for my current toc. Got sent home by the opc as I didn't need to do anything . I asked specifically about the vse and mag 7 sjt and was told that I had to wait for the online result's for a dmi and I couldn't do them at assessment day , because if I did and failed that it would be my two lives gone and they would have trouble with keeping track. Wasn't told it would affect any other test results , just that I wouldn't be able to apply to companies that use them. Was also told that you only ever get two goes at any test enhanced and if you fail twice , can only apply to companies that require national. These are questions I specifically asked , while at test centre and opc. I was also told that you shouldn't have more than one application in at a time and was encouraged to withdraw from one.

baz962

Established Member
I also asked about that as I was concerned, and they categorically said there’s no such thing as enhanced lives and standard lives. There’s only one standard and that’s the RSSB standard, anything else is make up by the TOC in question. So whether or not they have their own ruling on taking enhanced or not not is one thing but it’s not industry wide
To be fair , I don't think you actually lose two lives at standard. I believe the rssb don't have a two lives limit at all and is just a toc / opc thing anyway.

ComUtoR

Established Member
To be fair , I don't think you actually lose two lives at standard. I believe the rssb don't have a two lives limit at all and is just a toc / opc thing anyway.

2.7 Re-assessments for failed candidates
2.7.1 Railway undertakings shall not re-assess a candidate who has failed the psychometric assessment process within six months.
2.7.2 Railway undertakings shall not re-assess a candidate who has failed the psychometric assessment process more than once unless there are mitigating circumstances that have been considered and documented by the railway undertaking.

When a candidate is re-assessed, the process needs to cover only the elements which the candidate failed at the first assessment, if: a) It is carried out within five years of the first assessment. b) There is no evidence of a major life event having occurred since the first assessment, for examples see Appendix C of this document. Any candidate who failed a previous version of the psychometric assessment process is considered by the industry Driver Selection Governance Group to be eligible to be assessed up to twice using the process outlined in Appendix A.

ComUtoR

Established Member
I've never been able to find anything about 'enhanced' and 'standard'. I believe the history behind that was that a random TOC decided to only accept higher test scored. Slowly over time more TOCs have asked for 'enhanced' so much so that 'enhanced' is now pretty much the only acceptable result.

The OPC holds way to much power tbh.

baz962

Established Member
I've never been able to find anything about 'enhanced' and 'standard'. I believe the history behind that was that a random TOC decided to only accept higher test scored. Slowly over time more TOCs have asked for 'enhanced' so much so that 'enhanced' is now pretty much the only acceptable result.

The OPC holds way to much power tbh.
I think the thing is Com , that yes you get two goes and there is the old mitigating get out clause. You get unlimited goes at the dmi , but I was told before getting in the industry and since , that you would probably only get two dmi's with a particular company. Doesn't matter what the actual rules are and any possible way around , including two goes at final assessment. My observation is this. If you can't pass test's , interviews or assessments in two goes , then most companies will be of the opinion that you won't get it a third, fourth or fifth time and won't keep giving you more chance's. You will almost certainly only ever get two chance's at any stage .

Status
Not open for further replies.