• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Driver Manager Interview Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nobby

I have prepared answers to many questions that I anticipate being asked should I be successful in getting to the Manager's Interview on my application (things like Q's about the TOC; why I want to be a driver; where I see myself in 5 years time etc etc) but I wondered if anyone had ever been asked any weird or random questions at their interview - something that you weren't expecting and that kind of surprised you........?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hughavinalaf

Are you aware it will be competency based? So,expect 5 or 6 questions around your suitability for the role,such as 'tell us a time when you have dealt with an emergency' or 'you have solved a problem' etc.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Are you aware it will be competency based? So,expect 5 or 6 questions around your suitability for the role,such as 'tell us a time when you have dealt with an emergency' or 'you have solved a problem' etc.

That is generally the MMI. The DMI is different.

I put together this list from various sources - and is what I'm using in preparation for mine
----------------------------------

Most train driver recruitment events include an interview, which may last up to an hour. This interview is your opportunity to impress the recruiters on a face to face basis. Questions in these interviews may concentrate on you and your skills (competencies). Ahead of the interview review the train operating company you are applying to. Read up about them, their operations, the routes they cover, including any specific route you may be applying to. Prepare example answers to questions as well as a list of examples from your previous experience that can be used to show off your skills, including the desired skills for train drivers. Prepare answers using the STAR method (Situation, Task, Action, Result). And don’t forget to rehearse your answers.

Why do you want to join the company?

Why do you think that you are suitable for the job?

What do we do in this company?

What is the geographical range of our service?

Describe a time when you have dealt with a problem.

Tell me about a time when you have had to deal with a problem with your superior.

Tell me about your skills in an emergency situation.

What do you think is your biggest achievement?

Have you ever had to work on your own for long periods of time? How did you deal with this?

Give me an example of when you have stayed calm in a pressure situation.

Are you good at following rules and regulations?

Tell me about a time when you learnt a new skill.

Can you tell me about your organisational skills.

How did you prevent yourself from getting bored with that and keeping your concentration?

Give an example when you've assisted a member of the public.

How do you cope with stress?

How do you cope with fatigue?

Have you had to undertake studying for something before?

ComUtoR

Established Member
I put together this list from various sources - and is what I'm using in preparation for mine

Some of our most important skills; are our non technical ones.

but I wondered if anyone had ever been asked any weird or random questions at their interview - something that you weren't expecting and that kind of surprised you........?

Remember to answer the question :)

Nobby

Thanks for the list MostlyHarmless; There are a couple there that I have not prepared answers for but will now. I have been advised by a good source that the DMI is a lot more informal than the MMI. The application spec for the Arriva Rail Trainees mentions a personality test - if you go to the OPC website and check out the details on it, apparently your answers in the test are then used as a base for some of the questions in the DMI. Interesting.

There wasn't anything mentioned about a personality test for SWR, but the recruitment lady (who was very helpful) said we would find out more when and if we got through the MMI.

purplejonesy

My DMI was very similar to my MMI and asked a lot of similar questions

There were also a few I was not expecting like: give an example of a situation or time you felt proud.... and give examples of things you would expect to say over the train tannoy system

hughavinalaf

There were also a few I was not expecting like: give an example of a situation or time you felt proud.... and give examples of things you would expect to say over the train tannoy system
Likewise.
The MMI simply went into a bit more detail in regards the outcome of my situations.

Nobby

Thats the sort of thing I meant. I guess all the TOC's have their own methods unique to them alongside the standard stuff that they all do.

sw1ller

Established Member
My DMI was completely different than my MMI. the DMI was very formal. MMI not so much and it was the very last thing I did before being offered the job.

I got asked a very specific question about the signalling system used on the Cambrian coast. So maybe try to find out if the depot you’re applying for is doing anything unique to the industry.

Also, it’s not all about answering questions. Unlike the MMI, the DMI is very back and forth and like any interview, you’ll be expected to ask questions too. Try not to ask what day you’re paid or how much holiday you get. Try to make it specific to the role. Even if you know the answer, if it’s a good question it’ll look like you’ve researched the role well.

Rachael92

Hi,

I've got my MMI with thameslink coming up in a few weeks, I'm completely new to this experience so a bit unaware of what to expect. When I had my DMI the interviewer said the MMI wasn't points based so not sure what to expect and if it's going to be a strict interview or not?

Nobby

Hi,

I've got my MMI with thameslink coming up in a few weeks, I'm completely new to this experience so a bit unaware of what to expect. When I had my DMI the interviewer said the MMI wasn't points based so not sure what to expect and if it's going to be a strict interview or not?
It just shows how they all do it differently doesn't it? For the job I have applied for, the MMI is before the DMI and is regarded as one of the tests along with the psychometrics. Well done on passing the assessments - how were they? I saw the advert for Thameslink but lived too far away from the depots.

Amanda

Just to add, I had mine this week and got asked the following.... (I can't remember most! Some were the ones mentioned above but a lot weren't.)

Tell us about a time when you made a mistake and what you did about it.

Tell us about a time when you had to motivate a colleague.

Tell us about a time you noticed a colleague's standards or techniques slipping and what you did about it.

Tell us about a time when you had a task to fulfil but the instructions to do so were incomplete.

Those last two, I'm just paraphrasing. (Although I will admit that for the last one, I basically threw my line manager under the bus! Soz! ;))

I've sat 3 dmi's for trainee driver for three different toc's and have had some interesting ones.

I once got asked whether I passed my driving test first time and if not what I slipped up on.

Rather more intriguingly, I also got asked what my views on trade unions were.

I've been asked technical or job specific questions - how do you perform a hill start on a train for example, or how I would ensure I called at every station I was supposed to.

But, as suggested previously, the dmi can become very matey, maybe in an attempt to get you to relax a bit, and I have been asked what my golf handicap is, whether I am a train spotter or not, how old my kids are, what my favourite food is etc etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.