• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Driver medical

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducatidave

What does the medical consist off? Do they contact your doctor? I,ve taken anti depressants in the past following a divorce. I’m off them now but beginning to worry.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lewis H

They do ask about any sort of mental issues in the pre medical forms and then again at the actual medical, unsure to how they go about it if you have previous.

However in regards to what the medical consists of, you’ll do your hearing test, eyesight test, colour blindness test (again), ECG, drug test (piss in a pot) and thats about the long and short of it.

Louby

you have to sign to say you don't mind them being contacted if needed if i recall, other than that it's ECG, eye sight , ear test , blood pressure , pee test, height and weight

Stigy

Established Member
How did your medical go?

I have a medical coming up and have been wondering if anyone could advise me of PTSD in the past would be something I could fail on. A bit of background I’m ex forces and although I truly believe PTSD doesn’t just leave you, I am in the most positive mind frame now than I have been for many years and it doesn’t effect me these days. I am on no medication either.
You’ll have a sit down chat with the doctor (or should do), this will allow him to assess you more thoroughly and will be your chance to explain your circumstances. They won’t just reject you on that, and will treat every instance on its own merits. Key is not to withhold anything and just be upfront.

Boris533

You’ll have a sit down chat with the doctor (or should do), this will allow him to assess you more thoroughly and will be your chance to explain your circumstances. They won’t just reject you on that, and will treat every instance on its own merits. Key is not to withhold anything and just be upfront.
Delete

Last edited:

Wafflehouse

Typically, does anyone know what does the hearing, eyesight & colour blindness tests consist of?

Stigy

Established Member
Typically, does anyone know what does the hearing, eyesight & colour blindness tests consist of?
  1. Hearing is listening for fading beeps of varying pitch in a soundproof room.
  2. Eyesight is the standard snellen scale with the letters (through binoculars on the desk rather than on a wall though usually). Peripheral vision is also checked, and you may be asked to read a passage on a laminated sheet too. They test for corrected and uncorrected vision, but I’m pretty much blind without glasses and passed.
  3. Colour vision is usually measured using the book with letters/numbers in it (Irshihara test).

consolegamer

The hearing test involves sitting in booth with a pair of headphones and pressing a button if you hear a tone. The tones will be at different frequencies and volumes. I advise you to ensure that the headphones are a tight fit to make sure that you don't miss anything.

The eyesight test is a basic Snellen Chart on the wall. You'll be asked to stand a certain distance away from the chart and say which letters you see. With mine I was told stand against the wall and look into a mirror at the chart which was against the same wall I was standing against. I was also asked to read a paragraph from a book at arms length, but once it was clear that my eyesight was fine I was asked to stop.

Finally, the colour blindness test is the Ishihara test. You'll be asked to say which numbers you can see within a book of coloured plates. I advise you to google this one and do a quick test to ensure you're ok. Even if you do fail the online test however, you may still pass the real test as the online test is subject to many variables such as your computer monitor or phone screen displaying the correct colour settings.

The staff at these medicals are really helpful and they'll help you in every way they can to ensure you pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.