• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Driver Medical

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anon87

Evening all

Could someone link me to the most up to date train driver medical standards?

I’m aware of the eyesight standard - one being that you can’t have a near sight prescription (myopia) of more than -8. Is this just for your pre employment medical or for all of your periodic medicals during your career? The reason I ask is that whilst I’m currently a -5, by the time I enter my 40s and 50s I could well be around the -8 mark?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stigy

Established Member
I think this is the most up to date one.

The medical fitness will need to be maintained at each periodic medical, although there’s generally an element of discretion with certain items. Distance vision would probably fall in to this category as long as you can maintain the relevant standard of vision whilst wearing corrective lenses.

My prescription is borderline to be honest, but the doctor/nurse at my medical didn’t seem to bothered and never asked to see it (I took a printed copy with me, which I advise you to do too to save time in case they do want to see it). My eyesight gets marginally worse every time I go for a test too.

Status
Not open for further replies.