• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Driver picks up unwary bird .....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExRes

Established Member
Report from BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-26629486
Owl survives 300-mile train trip from Glasgow to Crick

A tawny owl has been named Lucky after clinging to the front of a train for a journey of more than 300 miles.

The bird was found below the driver's cabin of the Class 66 locomotive as it pulled into Stobart's freight terminal in Crick, Northamptonshire.

It is thought he had been clinging on since the train set off from Mossend, near Glasgow.

Lucky is now recovering from a sprained wing at Nuneaton and Warwickshire Wildlife Sanctuary.

"It's a miracle, really," said sanctuary owner Geoff Grewcock...

Under EWS the bird would now have signed the route for weekend engineering work

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

overtonchris

I've got to admit the content didn't quite match what I was expecting from the title!!!!! I've had a bit to do with these feathery chaps in a past life and they are amazingly resilient. One can give you a real savaging and another will literally 'play-dead' and lie on their backs immobile in your hands....... AND I AM TALKING ABOUT OWLS before any unseemliness occurs!! Great link.

andypops

How many people are going to fit scale owls as "bufferbeam detailing" on their class 66 models?!

eastwestdivide

Established Member
I can offer an alternative, a sparrow making the most of a dead fly takeaway, during a hot summer day in 1983. The train was stationary though.

attachment.php

Attachments

• N23_0020 Sparrow.jpg
    N23_0020 Sparrow.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 242
Were it a passenger service, it would have been issued a penalty fare

I'm just waiting for this to crop up in the Disputes section of the forum...:D

"I flew onto the train and now they want 20 quid off me"

Last edited:

Welshman

Established Member
I'm just waiting for this to crop up in the Disputes section of the forum...:D

"I flew onto the train and now they want 20 quid off me"

Yes - whenever we hear that complaint, it's usually from someone whose feathers have been ruffled. :D

[Sorry - I'm going now]

Moonshot

Established Member
Apparently the owl swore profanities many times at his rescuer........the bird was later diagnosed as suffering from irritable owl syndrome !!

Status
Not open for further replies.