Driver routes from Ayr

Discussion in 'Railway Jobs & Careers' started by dansdan, 28 Oct 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dansdan

dansdan New Member

Good morning all,

I'm new to your forum and am interested in becoming a trainee train driver with First ScotRail. I applied for the post of Trainee Train Driver based at Ayr, closing date was 31st August this year. I regularly check the website for status updates and it remains as "awaiting shortlisting". I did call the HR department a week or so ago and was told that my application was still with the managers. I'm hoping on the theory of "no news is good news..."

I'm doing a good bit of preparation for an interview, should I be lucky enough to get one. I'm practising the Group Bourdon test, psychometric tests and refreshing myself with mechanical comprehension theory and tests. I am also reading up on the company itself. There is one thing I have not found a definitive source for, and that is: What routes do the trains based at the Ayr Depot operate? I've looked all over the web and cannot find anything suitable, and can only summise the routes from looking at road maps. If anyone can give me any pointers, that would be great!

Many thanks in advance,

Dan

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. rail-britain

rail-britain Established Member

It can be many weeks between initial application and receiving information and invitation for first interview
    Then there can be a considerable gap between first and second interviews

There are no trains based at Ayr depot, only staff
    You would most likely be trained on Class 380 EMU first, operating services :
    Glasgow - Ayr (plus the Townhead depot)
    Glasgow - Largs
    Glasgow - Ardrossan
    Once you have passed these routes you may be extended to include :
    Glasgow - Gourock
    Glasgow - Wemyss Bay
    Glasgow - Cathcart (initially)
    Glasgow - Shields / Corkerhill / (Paisley Canal once electrification is completed next year)

There would then be the option to include Class 156 DMU, however this is not likely at the moment, operating services :
    Kilmarnock - Girvan / Stranraer
    Glasgow - Kilmarnock - Carlisle

4. CarterUSM

CarterUSM Established Member

Ayr drivers do not go to cathcart, gourock or wemyss bay. In addition to Ayr, Largs and Ardrossan they go to Stranraer via Kilmarnock, and also via Kilwinning, Carlisle, East Kilbride and Paisley Canal, not to mention local services to Barrhead and Kilmarnock.

5. rail-britain

As I currently understand it, new entrants for Ayr depot are not being trained on Class 156 DMU
    The short term solution will be as above
    During the next franchise this will then swap back (removing the extension routes)

6. CarterUSM

Well the latest new entrants are training on 156's.

7. dansdan

dansdan New Member

rail-britain and CarterUSM... many thanks for the information, you've helped clear up the routes.

So, training will be on just the one unit - the Class 156... is that correct?

I do apologise for the questions, I am of a nautical background and not a rail background so glaringly obvious questions to you may not be to me.
    The concentration tests with ScotRail: would it be the Group Bourdon Test or the SCAAT test, both of these, or is it just luck of the day? Furthermore, is the test likely to be on paper or computer screen?

I've noticed from previous forum entries that this can be the case, will just have to be patient!!

8. rail-britain

No, would be two, the Class 380 and Class 156
    The last intake are currently being trained on the Class 156, but as I understand it the next intake will not (as the franchise nears it end and there is likely to be a change in the GSW fleet from the next franchise, that is assuming First are successful)

When I applied to be an external auditor with First Group it was three years between initial application and being awarded the contract
    When they wrote back I had completely forgotten, thought the envelope was related to an enquiry I had made!

9. CarterUSM

It is currently group bourdon testing mate.

10. gazza8

gazza8 Member

Absolute tosh!

Firstly Ayr Station is joined to Townhead yard where there are approx 20 trains stabled nightly to run empty coaches and form the first early services from Largs, Ardrossan, Girvan, Kilmarnock as well as the first 6 services from Ayr

The majority of Ayr drivers turns cover routes between kilmarnock and glasgow, ayr to girvan and stranraer, not to mention carlisle/dumfries, Glasgow to paisley canal/east kilbride and barrhead

all of which are on. . . . . . a class 156!! So unless they are shutting half of the network you will be driving a 156

In addition i would concentrate on passing any tests before looking to deep into company info/routes etc

Last edited: 29 Oct 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.