• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Driver Stan Martin HST

Status
Not open for further replies.

ole man

Noticed a FGW 43 at Paddington last night with the name Driver Stan Martin 1950-2004 on the side, who was he, and how did he get a loco named after him?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

westcoaster

Established Member
I believe this power car I named after the driver who sadly lost his life in the level crossing accident in Berkshire.

David Goddard

Established Member
This is power car 43139.

In the same way, FGW 43033 is named Driver Brian Cooper 15 June 1947 - 5 October 1999, after the driver who lost his life at Ladbroke Grove.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Have to give credit to FGW for doing that, I've always thought that they were fitting tributes.

KA4C

Yeah, Stan Martin was the Exeter Driver Instructor who was killed in the Ufton Nervet disaster. Exeter depot has a version of the name plate in the depot

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Freightliner Class 66 66526 "Driver Steve Dunn (George)" is named for the FL driver that died at Great Heck.

starrymarkb

Established Member
I'm pretty sure I've seen the nameplate displayed in the concourse at St Davids.

Some companies will name a locomotive after staff killed in the course of their duties as a tribute

GB

Established Member
Likewise gbrf 66717 named after a driver who sadly died while on duty.

dk1

Veteran Member
If i remember correctly, FGW arranged for the namplates to be unveiled by his family at St.Davids on what would have been his 50th Birthday. What a lovely & fitting tribute.

WL113

A much respected tradition to name locomotives after railway staff who have lost their lives in the course of their duty.

I am surprised there has never been a loco named Driver Jack Mills.

A much respected tradition to name locomotives after railway staff who have lost their lives in the course of their duty.

I am surprised there has never been a loco named Driver Jack Mills.

I'm too young to remember the Great Train Robbery. Jack Mills would be an obvious candidate for a loco naming? The powers that be must have their reasons?

ole man

He didn't really die during working hours did he, though you could say what happened did affect the rest of his life.
Did Eric Goode ever get a loco named after him, i know he has a garden at Colwich.

deltic1989

Established Member
Fair play to the TOCs they recognise the people who lost thier lives in thier service. I daresay a rail equivalent of a posthumus VC?
If may digress has there ever been a loco named Driver Joe Duddington? I know he diddnt die on duty but he is the fastest steam driver in the world.
And heres an idea for greater anglia, Fireman Fredrick Nightall, the fireman killed in the Soham disaster. Just throwing it out there.

Fair play to the TOCs they recognise the people who lost thier lives in thier service. I daresay a rail equivalent of a posthumus VC?
If may digress has there ever been a loco named Driver Joe Duddington? I know he diddnt die on duty but he is the fastest steam driver in the world.
And heres an idea for greater anglia, Fireman Fredrick Nightall, the fireman killed in the Soham disaster. Just throwing it out there.

I wasn't born when the Soham disaster occurred; but Frederick Nightall died, in the course of his work. A candidate for a locomotive naming?

sprinterguy

Established Member
James Nightall you mean, surely? There already is a loco named after him - DB Schenkers' 66079. In fact, 66079 is the second loco to bear his name: 47579 was named as such during the 1980s. 66077 is additionally named after the driver of the munitions train, Benjamin Gimbert, which is a name that was formerly bestowed upon 47577 at the same time as 47579 carried it's "James Nightall GC" name.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Did Eric Goode ever get a loco named after him, i know he has a garden at Colwich.
I'm not aware that he did, which seems unusual if it is the case, as BR were keen on naming locos after drivers and railwaymen killed in their line of duty at that time.

deltic1989

Established Member
sprinterguy:1158658 said:
James Nightall you mean, surely?

My apologies, my mistake i had the name fredrick in my head for some reason. But I am glad to hear that Fireman Nightall GC was honoured in this way.

Established Member
Some trains are also named after long-serving members of staff retiring, such as 317654 'Richard Wells'. Richard Wells was a WAGN driver who retired in 2003 after almost 50 years of service.

David Goddard

Established Member
It remains a point that the Signalman on duty that night, Frank Bridges, who was also killed in the explosion, and did just as much to save the town as the enginemen, has never been honoured in as equal a way no GC or locomotive namings!

All three did however get streets in Soham named after them.

WL113

The memorial garden at Colwich Jcn.

picture1993.jpg

WL113

The garden was originally created by P-Way supervisor Alf Taylor. The Signalmen from Colwich box used to tend it until they lost their PTS tickets. At this time the garden was only accessible from the railway. Alf passed away in 1997 and the second plaque is dedicated to him. When Colwich box closed in 2005? the garden was made accessible from the road and the Haywoods Permanent way group take care of it. The garden is a credit to them all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.