• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Driver testing advice, loophole?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trogladyte

Hi folks, could do with a bit of advice regarding Driver testing and job application.

I applied for a trainee driver job recently but they withdrew my application because when they have checked my scores the 2Hand coordination test on the computer was only to national and not enhanced! (I had passed the tests to their TOC-specific enhanced apart from the 2hand which was to national, on my second and final attempt at psychometrics when I was originally going to work for another TOC)

They have said because that was my second attempt at going for the psychometrics in general, I am not allowed any more attempts at passing the 2hand to their enhanced. However I only ever did the 2hand once which i passed to national which was on my second final psychometric attempt! I failed the first attempt a year before on the first stage paper-based stuff so never got to do the coordination 2hand test.

Are they correct in saying I have no more lives yet as I only did this specific test once i thought i could? Hope that makes sense. Your input would be invaluable!

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PupCuff

Train companies do hold some discretion in the application of these rules, and although there may be merits in fighting certain perceived injustices, rightly or wrongly it's worth considering whether doing so might damage your chances of moving to said company later in your career if you get a driver's job elsewhere first.

Economist

Your best bet would be to take your results to a different TOC, of which there are a few in the North West, plus there are some TOCs which will allow you to relocate should that be an available option considering your circumstances. Try looking at the freight companies as well when they advertise. Don't worry too much about which TOC you start with, the most important things are passing the training and keeping your licence clean, after a few years having achieved both, you'll most likely have plenty of options available should you need them.

Class2ldn

You failed once completely and then failed to meet enhanced the second time ?
I'd say they are correct for anyone requiring enhanced but you passed to standard level so you can still approach companies that dont require enhanced.
Obviously limits your options but doesn't rule you out completely .
Whether you got to do the 2nd hand test once or twice is irrelevant.
If you failed the first time then it's a fail regardless.

I’ve seen the opc refuse another try due to a failure of the at home tests and a failure at enhanced with another toc.

seems harsh but every toc can interpret the rules as they see fit.

I used to believe you get 2 attempts at each element but tocs may have tightened up on this to reduce numbers

craigybagel

Established Member
You failed once completely and then failed to meet enhanced the second time ?
I'd say they are correct for anyone requiring enhanced but you passed to standard level so you can still approach companies that dont require enhanced.
Obviously limits your options but doesn't rule you out completely .
Whether you got to do the 2nd hand test once or twice is irrelevant.
If you failed the first time then it's a fail regardless.
Problem is though, any time this subject comes up nobody seems to know for certain which TOCs/FOCs accept standard and such require advanced. I couldn't even say 100% certain about my own TOC never mind any others!

It's also important to remember that when we talk about enhanced scores there is no set score. Each TOC/ FOC that requires enhanced passed set their own enhanced score. So if the OP has failed enhanced for 1 TOC they may still be enhanced for another.

My personal view is that the process is now too messy. I'd much rather see one set score for the industry. Also many TOCs now require additional tests to be done. The whole process should be streamlined, just like it used to be.

Trogladyte

Cheers for the useful input. Just surprised that because i’ve technically i’ve had one attempt at the coordination test which i’ve passed at national i wouldn’t be allowed another go at just this single test!

Coach Carter

It’s not how many goes you have had at the individual tests within the assessments, it’s how many goes you have had at the overall process. So in this instance you said you had a fail at some point during your first go, then on the second go you passed everything but the 2 hand coordination was only to national standard. This was your 2 goes at the over all process. A TOC that requires national will say well done you passed second time round you can join us, while a TOC wanting enhanced is of the opinion that you have had 2 chances to make it through the whole process to the standard they require but it hasn’t happened so they will not take you or give you another go.
You still got lots of options for places to apply though bud so just keep applying and hopefully it will all come good.

Status
Not open for further replies.