• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Driver Training Simulators: What happens to old ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyCK

Please forgive me if this thread is in the wrong place or has been discussed previously, but I recently came across an article about a FGW HST driver training simulator where there was an auction for a session on the simulator.

We are delighted to announce our latest fundraising auction, thanks to our friends at First Great Western who have donated a session on their driving simulator to Swindon Panel Society!

The item will be auctioned to raise funds for the panel move.

The successful bidder plus one other person will enjoy two hours on the FGW driver simulator at either Bristol, Reading or Plymouth. FGW have also kindly agreed to provide free rail travel to/from the winner’s home station provided it is on the FGW network.

http://www.swindonpanel.org.uk/auction-fgw-driver-simulator/

It got me wondering, what happens with cab simulators when they are no longer needed?

With HSTs coming off lease and driver training requirements reducing, I’m sure there are people who would donate to charity or fundraisers to have a session on a simulator (I would anyway!) - could something be organised between TOCs or simulators donated (e.g. an HST simulator to the 125 Group), or is this impractical/too costly/difficult to maintain, etc.?

Regards
Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.