• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Drivers assessment

Status
Not open for further replies.

J123

I left my family and friends behind in 2014 to persue a career as a train driver. I did extremely well to get a guards job at just age 18. Unfortunately being young, inexperienced and alone in London has rather taken its role on me. I could have been a driver four years ago today if I hadn’t failed the assessment the first time. I put the failure down to stresses outside of work - I wasn’t really in the best mind space. Unfortunately things haven’t improved and I still don’t feel ready to attempt the assessment again. I’m now at the point where I don’t know if I’m suffering from a lack of confidence or a phobia of complete failure. I lose a lot of sleep over it, even have nightmares about doing the assessment and any conversation about the drivers role plunges me into a deep sadness. I’ve been living with this in silence for a long time now, I think however it’s time I dis something about it.
I’m coming to the forum today to seek out suitable advise from other people who may have been in a similar situation or worse, who managed to pull through it and succeed. Such a story would probably boost my morale. At the moment I feel incapable of passing the assessment because I’m defective but perhaps it’s a state of mind that I can overcome. I just don’t know.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RailLady

Sorry to hear you’re struggling.

not to sound condescending but are you sure you’re in the right mind frame to be attempting it because of your current circumstances.

aldo if you are determined to do it, Have you tried buying sample versions of the tests via the opc and practising.

The role of a driver is a demanding one, especially mentally. What I would suggest is forget about it for now and concentrate on yourself and healing your mind.

If you apply now and somehow pass the assessment (I’m assuming you’re referring to the psychometrics) you have such a long way to go, and many many different types of assessments to go through, before you qualify.

If your mind isn’t truly in it you will not succeed.

Red Devil

I left my family and friends behind in 2014 to persue a career as a train driver. I did extremely well to get a guards job at just age 18. Unfortunately being young, inexperienced and alone in London has rather taken its role on me. I could have been a driver four years ago today if I hadn’t failed the assessment the first time. I put the failure down to stresses outside of work - I wasn’t really in the best mind space. Unfortunately things haven’t improved and I still don’t feel ready to attempt the assessment again. I’m now at the point where I don’t know if I’m suffering from a lack of confidence or a phobia of complete failure. I lose a lot of sleep over it, even have nightmares about doing the assessment and any conversation about the drivers role plunges me into a deep sadness. I’ve been living with this in silence for a long time now, I think however it’s time I dis something about it.
I’m coming to the forum today to seek out suitable advise from other people who may have been in a similar situation or worse, who managed to pull through it and succeed. Such a story would probably boost my morale. At the moment I feel incapable of passing the assessment because I’m defective but perhaps it’s a state of mind that I can overcome. I just don’t know.
You're not ready to take the assessment anytime soon. The way you're feeling and from what you've written I personally think you should talk to someone impartial be it counselling or something similar. I failed 1st time, passed 2nd,loads do,you can be one them but not yet. Not until you've sorted your emotional issues out.
Ps. Make sure no one can suss out who you are on this site because if they do they won't be putting you forward based on what you've written.
Good luck

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
There are trains all over the country...would it help you to seek a guard's job nearer the people you know so your head is in the right place, then look to move to driver there later?

rail-god

On Moderation
You need to check your dates mate. They dont add up

Status
Not open for further replies.