• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Drivers bags.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ComUtoR

Established Member
Hope its going well for you. Our Trainees tend to carry big heavy bags filled with Maps, manuals, reminder aids, and every item recommended to them.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Hope its going well for you. Our Trainees tend to carry big heavy bags filled with Maps, manuals, reminder aids, and every item recommended to them.
Cheers!
We're quite luckythat all our paper stuff, like route maps, manuals, rule books etc are all electronic on our tablets. A lot less to carry. Although I keep all of my rules and traction notes in my bag just in case, and I can read a section a day over my PNB. The last thing to be fully hard copy is our logbook. Which happens to be the heaviest of the lot!

ComUtoR

Established Member
The OTMR takes care of data recording. Not sure if tachos are still in use but no doubt someone her could educate us :)

Johncleesefan

Lunch and coffee supplies most importantly.
Torch, company mobile and tablet (access to wons/pons, rule book, maps and traction manuals etc), hi vis, Id and keys, driving licence, various forms inc non multi’s, tempel stick, sunglasses.

Stigy

Established Member
In mine currently:
Hi Viz
Tablet - contains notices, rule book, WONs and PONs, RT3185 and all maps and traction manuals
Work phone
Charger for above
Charger for personal phone
Headphones
Tea and UHT milk sachets
Biscuits
Lamp and spare batteries
Training materials
Trainee Hours log book
Water bottle
Sunglasses
To be added tomorrow before work:
Lunch
Thermos
You planning on declaring yourself a failure for 15-hours? :E

craigybagel

Established Member
Current trainee driver but former guard. Couple of things in my bag I've not seen mentioned yet - roster (for the inevitable moment on your PNB when a colleague asks for a swap 3 months from now and you need to know what you're agreeing to!) and also safety goggles - there is one maintenance depot on our patch where it's obligatory to wear them at all times. I won't be signing it (it's top link only at my depot) but as all the DIs are in the top link I may well have to go in there during my handling hours.

Cheers!
We're quite luckythat all our paper stuff, like route maps, manuals, rule books etc are all electronic on our tablets. A lot less to carry. Although I keep all of my rules and traction notes in my bag just in case, and I can read a section a day over my PNB. The last thing to be fully hard copy is our logbook. Which happens to be the heaviest of the lot!

Our lot is the other way around. We're due to be getting tablets in a few months time but for now we have to carry everything on paper, but we don't have a paper logbook; we update our progress online instead. That said, we have to mark off in so much detail what we've done (like count every single red signal we stop at) that I carry a small notepad that I can quickly note things down on during the day, and then transcribe it all on to the website at the end of the week.

coxxy

Bardic/torch
Hi viz
Sunglasses,
Spare keys,
Couple of spare pens,
Paracetamol/ibuprofen,

Paperwork:
WONS,
route maps (admittedly not all routes but just some key/ complex areas),
RT3185,RT3177, ESW tickets
Company report forms

Then theres the usual dinner and hot drink flask..

Then I always carry my personal tablet and headphones and a phone charger and this time of year I always have my hat and gloves in there as well just in case...

Amazing what you can fit in there when you work it out properly

4F89

Far too much is in / hanging off / crudely attached to my bag, but scouts have always be prepared!

iphone76

At some time in the next 1 to 5 years I'll also need a CR3190 form. (Or perhaps an EL3190 if it gets renamed too).

CC 72100

Established Member
I’m not sure it’s ever been known as an RT3190; it was NR3190 from the start.

It was before it came into the Rule Book for everybody in December 2018.

Attachments

• 20191105_185936.jpg
    20191105_185936.jpg
    713.8 KB · Views: 58

83G/84D

Established Member
You planning on declaring yourself a failure for 15-hours? :E

If he's a freight driver he's probably thinking about the amount of time he'll be spending in loops and sidings watching other trains go past!

Surprised no-one so far (especially freight drivers) has mentioned an empty pop bottle in case you get caught short.

387star

On Moderation
Great northern and thameslink drivers often wear silver guard bags whereas officially drivers bags are orange. Guards where orange too sometimes

Twotwo

I've noticed a lot of the old school drivers perfer using their own bags.

4F89

If he's a freight driver he's probably thinking about the amount of time he'll be spending in loops and sidings watching other trains go past!

Surprised no-one so far (especially freight drivers) has mentioned an empty pop bottle in case you get caught short.
The world is my toilet!

Last edited:

ninhog

Great northern and thameslink drivers often wear silver guard bags whereas officially drivers bags are orange. Guards where orange too sometimes

Those bags draw attention. Personally, I prefer a plain bag :D

EvoIV

Oasis bottle actually

I honestly couldn't list the whole of what's in my bag. More than 90% of drivers at my depot for sure. Added to the above I've also got a first aid kit and a multi tool which has had a surprising amount of use. There's probably food in there somewhere that's over a year old. Waterproof overtrousers, that squeeze bottle squash stuff even though I still always just habitually make coffee. Battery power pack for recharging devices without mains power. Cold weather gear, hat gloves etc. I must weigh it all really.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Oasis bottle is the one to have. Nothing worse than being looped somewhere the public can see when you’re busting for a piss

Status
Not open for further replies.