• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Drivers Job Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanDaDriver

When I book on each day I pick up my job card for the day which tells me where I need to be and when, headcodes and station stops.

When did this start in its present format? And does anyone know what happened in steam days?

Eg; if I booked on in 1934, would I have a list of stops or would I just be told I’m driving “The 16:40 Sheffield,” and be expected to know the stops?

Many thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Neal Cowdrey

Not quite 1934, but when I started at Brighton as a Secondman/Driver's Assistant in 1981 the diagrams (i.e. just the activities and start and end stations for each journey that constituted that 'turn') and any alterations were posted in a notice case. It was the driver's to match these with the Working Timetable (WTT) and 'Special Traffic Arrangements' (STA)and provide his own stopping pattern.
I can't remember when exactly, but towards the end of the 80's, possibly around the time I qualified as a driver in 1987, a diagram started to be provided for each diagram for the duration of the applicable timetable, supplied in a small plastic sleeve and held in a rack by the noticeboard until required. There was still no stopping pattern and driver's still had to use the WTT/STA to work this out and write it on the back of the diagram. It did mean that (subject to short term alterations) that the stopping pattern had to be worked out only once per timetable. On the first day of a new timetable there would be much to-ing and fro-ing from the locker room to retrieve WTTs for this purpose.
At some point, possibly after Connex took over, we were issued with a folder with all Schedule Cards for your home depot, by this point stopping patterns were included. Pages were colour coded to avoid confusion, Mon-Fri yellow, Sat green and Sun pink. The use of the folders fizzled out after a while, possibly due to increased computer and printer availability, and Schedule Cards with stopping patterns were printed out as required.

Attached are two photos, one of a Connex era amended Sunday diagram card, still in basically the same format as a 1981 diagram that would have been posted in the noticecase, with the addition of the length of turn. Pre flexible rostering in 1982 all turns were 8 hours in length (with rare exceptions agreed between Management and the LDC (Local Departmental Committee)).
The second an average Mon-Fri Schedule Card from the Connex folder of schedule cards.

Attachments

• 20190211_121359_edited-1.jpg
    20190211_121359_edited-1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 212
  • 20190211_122533_edited-1.jpg
    20190211_122533_edited-1.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 225

Established Member
Yes back in the 80s I remember the diagrams at Stratford being put in plastic wallets and whoever got the job on the first day wrote the schedule from the WTT on the back. Of course that was only as legible as the handwriting allowed, some were better than others. Then you still had to plough through pages of special traffic notices for alterations.

Then examples such as the DIADS output shown in the second photo above came along. The first steps of computerisation.

These days many TOCs use software that goes by the name of Sheila (don't ask). This gives all the stopping and passing times (if selected) in one print for all the trains worked in a particular diagram, including short term amendments. It effectively replaces both working timetables and special traffic notices for traincrew. Electronic versions to reduce paper are now being developed.

traingeek97

Do any drivers have any schedule card they’d be happy to share on here? Seen a few for Tube and bus drivers but not many for train drivers.

westcoaster

Established Member
Someone may post out of date ones, but I'm not sure if we would be allowed to share such information online.

Status
Not open for further replies.