• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Driving, apply or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew32

This may seem like a daft thread to post.

I'm currently a Conductor for Northern and am considering applying for driving, however I'm unsure how the pay works for trainee drivers and am reliant on regular overtime to pay a few things off which is putting me off applying for either Skipton or Manchester.

Is this stupid and can anyone help me regarding information on pay for trainees?

Andy

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scott118

is it not best, to talk to your HR department? Decision making is also a key element, when considering the role of a driver..

Last edited:
It's guard's rate +5% at Merseyrail; plus you can work rest days as a guard while on the school (obviously providing it doesn't interfere). But yeah, phone your HR dept.

Last edited:

Andrew32

Thanks for the information guys.

I understand that decision making is part of a the driving role, it's also part of the conductors role, when it comes to finances you have to weight up things that's all I'm saying.

scott118

Thanks for the information guys.

I understand that decision making is part of a the driving role, it's also part of the conductors role, when it comes to finances you have to weight up things that's all I'm saying.

and there, brother, lies your own answer...ultimately it will depend if you are looking for a short or a long term answer, regarding your finances. Only you will know. Driving isn't for everyone, i hasten to add additionally..

ComUtoR

Established Member
Is this stupid...

Andy

Short term plans are generally, well, short sighted. Stupid would be a relative term but you do need to look more in the long term. Myself, I was in a similar situation where I was on the breadline. Taking the decision to quite my existing job risk applying for a Drivers job was a hard choice but I haven't looked back since.

You get very little chances in life. What have you got to lose by applying ? You may find that your situation will change sooner than the role is available or you may find that its something that pushes you into action and that forces you to review your situation and give you the incentive to change it.

We have a lot of trainees who have taken a similar risk. None that I know of ever regretted it. It was hard, but they made it.

Andrew32

Thanks comUtoR, given me something to think about, will contact my HR department for more information.

I'm under no illusion that the course is intense but you don't get anywhere in life without effort.

I left the comfort of a local government job of 17 years to join the railway as a Conductor, never looked back but want to move forward in my career.

Thanks again to everyone for replying, it's been a great help.

Marks13

Hi Andrew hope you are well ,

Thought I'd post since you gave me all that advice for our conductor course. During driver training you will be on your basic conductor wage (no Sunday's or commission) . During your classroom training will you beable to claim travel to and from your depot . Once out with your minder you can claim any spare turn time which is over the rostered spare shift hours . So there is a little extra pay . You won't have time to work any extra as the course is quite intense (not unachievable with a bit of work) . As far as I'm aware you can't work as a guard as once you start driving course you will no longer be competent as a guard , but like I said you won't have time anyway.

It's a fantastic job and well worth the sacrifice for a few months and you won't look back.

Mark

Andrew32

Mark from Sheffield I presume :)

Thanks for the advice, a few people in my depot are going to chat to me regarding the role, I appreciate your advice, it helps and I hope life is treating you well, you're driving now I have been told?

Going to wait for Skipton or Manchester coming up and get put in for it I think.

Take care

Marks13

Yes that's me ,

No problems , always best to chat to people who are on the course now or have recently been through it. I'm out with my minder now getting my hours in. It's been hard work but worth it, really enjoy the role.

Good luck in whatever you decide Andrew :)

Bromley boy

Established Member
This may seem like a daft thread to post.

I'm currently a Conductor for Northern and am considering applying for driving, however I'm unsure how the pay works for trainee drivers and am reliant on regular overtime to pay a few things off which is putting me off applying for either Skipton or Manchester.

Is this stupid and can anyone help me regarding information on pay for trainees?

Andy

At my TOC I believe trainee drivers previously employed in another role retain their prior salary during training. Therefore a guard would be on a higher salary than the "off the street" trainee wage. Overtime is not possible throughout the training period and the length of the training is uncertain as it is affected by circumstances beyond your control eg shortage of instructors is currently causing a delay of weeks and months.

This is significant because the salary jumps considerably when you qualify and start driving on your own. My group of trainees have all been told to budget for at least a year on the trainees wage. I suspect this will turn out to be rather longer for many of us due to the delays noted above.

So the question for you is whether some short term pain (loss of overtime) is worth it for the long term gain of the higher drivers wage. I suspect it would be worth it in the long run!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.