• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Driving tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

nutter

This is a sought of knock on from a topic I made in another forum about driving techniques. Rather than asking about driving techniques I though it might be a nice idea to have a topic about driving techniques to help beginners and more experienced players how to drive a train better or more realistically. You never know, even the most experienced drivers might learn something

First tip.
Learn the route to the best of your ability and take note of the lineside for braking areas on approach to stations and signals

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dennis

Established Member
ikar said:
Tip 2: Learn the stock performance so you can judge the braking/accelerating

OK until some developer uses random adhesion values :roll:

It's better to be late than dead.

If the adhesion levels were altered it would be true to life. Also, perform a running brake test when starting out (as in the rule book) to test the brakes out. Then you cna judge braking easier.

Sprog

Established Member
James 66526 said:
If the adhesion levels were altered it would be true to life. Also, perform a running brake test when starting out (as in the rule book) to test the brakes out. Then you cna judge braking easier.

He knows what hes on about, trust Me :D :D !!!!!!!!!!

Nite James! 8)

RBTs (Running Brake Tests) are to ensure that the braking systems are fine and also to see how they are reacting. It also gives you some idea of how slippy the railhead is. Say for example I am coming out of Maybank in a 220. I accelerate to 35mph and tehn throttle down gently so that I don't exceed 40. Then, I ut the brakes into 20% braking (notch 1 on BVE4) as it is the braking I use all the time. I then watch as the speed drops to 35mph. If all is well then I accelerate away to linespeed (which is 80mph by this point.) If in a 158 I use notch 1 on the brake most of the time so I use notch 1 in the RBT. It's the same with freight. It's also a good idea to perform an RBT on the approach to a severe falling gradient or a bay platform just in case! And regarding red signals.. When you encounter a restrictive aspect (double yellow or single yellow) you should be braking depending on your traction and route knowledge. But always make sure that you do not overuse notch 2 if in a 158, 323, 170, 156. In a 66 it's best to use 4 bar braking at the most and on the voyager notch 3 (60%) is best. Never use full service for anything unless you really have messed up! When going over the AWS magnet in passenger go over at between 15mph and 20mph. On freight you should go over at 10mph. Usually on passenger I go over at 15, then when I get a bit closer to the signal I drop down to 10mph. Then down to 5mph and then to about 2mph nearer the signal and roll up to it. Don't brake too hard in between the AWS magnet and the red as you won't need to! If you are approaching an approach control signal (as at Radley jctn if you are stopping at that station) you should always treat it as a red. Also a bit with the rules. The sounding of horns is noat permitted in between 23:00 and 0700 so in both night routes horns aren't allowed. Although if track workers are on the line then you should blow it whatever the circumstances. 8)

In the 156 someone said for realism only use the B1 brake power if you can, I think they said any more than that and the passengers will know about it..

can someone please give me a good guide as to knwoing the station is coming up?

T

Tom

Do a route-learning exercise, be extra careful and try to remember the positions where things are by looking at the scenery.

Nitro

You should see me drive, its always from N to max power (sprinters excluded) then max brake so I do tend to mis stations but not many and when Im single yellow I zoom in to the max so I can see the TPWS trap and the brake to 30-35mph :lol: :lol: If the Mr.Angry thing in BVE 4 it would always be very very mad :roll:

Jordy

Established Member
323 on Maybank - when you don't know where the station are - now THATS fun :lol: :lol: :lol:

EEEeeeeeeeeee - uhhhhhhh- weeeeer - weeeeer -weeeeeer - wooo - weer -weeer -weeer -uh!!!

Jordy

Nitro

The amount of stations I miss out in a 323. Sometimes I just get annoyed and do my passenger non-stopper :lol: so I blow the high-low and proceed through many stations :P

Dennis

Established Member
Nitro said:
You should see me drive, its always from N to max power (sprinters excluded) then max brake so I do tend to mis stations but not many and when Im single yellow I zoom in to the max so I can see the TPWS trap and the brake to 30-35mph :lol: :lol: If the Mr.Angry thing in BVE 4 it would always be very very mad :roll:

Very sudden stopping when approaching a station will leave all the passengers who were heading towards the exit doors piled up outside your cab!! If you are really unlucky, some will be seriously injured and sue you.

Would be useful if BVE could provide us with some kind of score at the end of a run (like what Simudrive did).

I used to miss out tonnes and tonnes of stations, I found a little trick.

Stay 5mph under the speed limit.

You may want to be Speedy Gonzales, but if you're not it helps alot, I usually travel around 60mph so when the platforms come into view you can apply B1 and gently roll into the station, perhaps a little rev to the station marker..now I never miss a station..

But now, it is time to shower my friends, goodbye.

May I just add the 323 is VERY easy to control, it accelerates like a Ferrari and has a superb braking system...

As for the 156 + 158, well..

Sprog

Established Member
hehehe, i can see in the first part of the video you left the DRA on :o

whoops :oops:!

Thats caught me out a few times and all! :roll: :lol:

Really, you can take the DRA off when you first 'open' the desk, as the peg is green. Or if its red when you first start, you can reset it when it clears.

Best to keep it set just in case. Guards are trained not to give the two bells to the driver until the peg has cleared but you never know...

Julian G

Established Member
the Victoria line is quite an easy route to drive <D
ATO does the braking for you :D All I have to do is open/close doors and accelerate train :P

devon_metro

Established Member
I barely ever over-run stations, with the exeption of on the 158 *curses breaks*

When driving i stay at full speed when encountering double yellows and on Maybank occasionally at single yellows as some signal aspects are guessable, basically the best thing to do is learn your route! Also get used to braking and acceleration of you train, and leave extra time for braking during bad weather.

Best of all know where each station is.... :roll:

Tomnick

Established Member
dvn1357 said:
as some signal aspects are guessable
Should never assume that a signal will come off just because it has done every time in the past! The one time it doesn't come off...will be the time you're approaching too fast to stop safely behind it!

Tom (DA38) - not always safe to rely on signals! If the station's in the middle of a series of auto signals, you won't get checked down like that - should only really happen where there's a conflicting move signalled beyond the platform!

Met Driver

Established Member
spm_43030 said:
class 313 said:
here is one more video of me in the 220 on maybank.

(this may take some time to download, i wouldnt recomend dial up users to download this video.)

http://www.freewebs.com/class313/BVE-vid2.wmv

A tuition on how not to drive perhaps??..... :? :shock: :shock:

I resisted the temptation to post words to a similar effect earlier, thankfully you've worded it far more politely than I might have done. ;)

Class 313 - Doing 70 through single yellows and stopping in full service is not a good idea. Even if you're going slightly too fast to stop on the mark, you'd be better off leaving it in notch 2 and releasing it just before you stop. You might be a few yards off, but at least your passengers would still be in their seats!

A tip for you all when stopping at riverside in the 220. Slip it into notch 1 at the Whistle board at Washpool and you should be doing about 20 into riverside platform nad then you just have to tap it into notch 2. This is my braking teqhnique for all stations. BVE is good but doesnt reflect the reall challenge of driving a train. If train drivers drove them slamming it into full service at the last minute then they would get the sack straight away. Then theres route learning... :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.