• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

driving with the door open

Status
Not open for further replies.

ess

why is this allowed? i often see hst drivers speeding past with the drivers door open. seems dangerous

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clip

Established Member
i dont think theres anything inherently dangerous about driving with the door open. most trains the driver is sat a decent distance away from it arent they?

I can only imagine the OP thinks there's a possibility of the driving falling out but as has already been said the drivers sit a safe distance from the doors.

Ivo

Established Member
It's not as though said doors are particularly large either. Unless the driver was ultra-thin (in which case (s)he is probably in the wrong career), it is highly likely that only an intentional movement would result in the driver being able to fit through the gap.

Yew

Established Member
Maybe if hST's get power doors some aircon could be included for the driver, although an accident is unlikely it makes sense to reduce risk, and increase driver comfort.

SprinterMan

Established Member
I was gonna ask something like this, as a few weeks ago I saw from a Virgin 221 at Chester a Mersyrail guard open his door well before the train had stopped. I thought as they were powered doors some sort of interlocking prevented this from happening.

Adam :D

Matt Taylor

Established Member
The guard/drivers local door is not part of the traction interlock system on 455s, 507s, 508s and possibly 313s, 314s and 315s.

rail-britain

Established Member
why is this allowed? i often see hst drivers speeding past with the drivers door open. seems dangerous
You will also note it is normally the left hand door only (as the driver sits), therefore there is very little turbulence as trains pass to the right hand side, and does not cause reports from passing trains of door open

Established Member
As I believe is the case on 150s and 220s / 221s (and 222s?).

Is the power operated door on 150/2s not interlocked? I must say i've never seen a guard shut it after the train has departed or open it before the trains arrived at the station and I'm sure you hear the brakes release after it closes.

150/1s,507s and 508s have seen the door opened many times before arrival.

Track Basher

You best not visit Egypt you will have a H&S overload. I have just returned and most passenger trains run with both doors and windows open (if they are not missing). My 8 year old daughter nearly blew a fuse when our steward opened the door about a mile out of the station. He then thought he had done the wrong side so opened the other side before realising he was right the first time.

On the up side good for getting photos out of.

34D

Established Member
The guard/drivers local door is not part of the traction interlock system on 455s, 507s, 508s and possibly 313s, 314s and 315s.

On the GN inner suburban (fcc to moorgate) it is accepted commuter practice on wedged trains to use the rear and middle cabs. Note that the 313 and 315 were actually built for this to be a standing area and were officially used thus in the early days (I assume not leading cab), and I mean the large vestibule not the bit within that where the driver sits.

Anyway, I was once in there and needed to alight Highbury. Alighting involves manually opening the cab door which is pretty heavy. Anyway, I thought I'd get it partly open whilst still in the tunnel. The train did an emergency brake.

So yes, I'd say these doors are on the pilot light. Not sure about 455 though, as their vestibules were never built for passenger use.

Is the power operated door on 150/2s not interlocked? I must say i've never seen a guard shut it after the train has departed or open it before the trains arrived at the station and I'm sure you hear the brakes release after it closes.

150/1s,507s and 508s have seen the door opened many times before arrival.

On 150/2 yes interlocked - this is a passenger door (again, when they were new, this was a generally available passenger door. When 150/2 are formed with other through gangwayed units, the single door that isn't at the front or back will have its buttons illuminated and be available for passenger use.

Don't believe the hinged door on 150/1 or 141 is part of the pilot light.

LE Greys

Established Member
442 drivers used to do something similar with the gangway connections, which were often partly open in the summer. Still, it's a vast improvement on the BR Standards, which had no cab doors at all!

Dr.iver

On the GN inner suburban (fcc to moorgate) it is accepted commuter practice on wedged trains to use the rear and middle cabs. Note that the 313 and 315 were actually built for this to be a standing area and were officially used thus in the early days (I assume not leading cab), and I mean the large vestibule not the bit within that where the driver sits.

Anyway, I was once in there and needed to alight Highbury. Alighting involves manually opening the cab door which is pretty heavy. Anyway, I thought I'd get it partly open whilst still in the tunnel. The train did an emergency brake.

Right let's get this straight now, the vestibule area of a 313 cab is NOT FOR PASSENGER use, the fact u seem to think its okay to force a set of doors on the move is Outragous, to put it bluntly you are a danger to yourself and others.
Rest assured if you ever pull that stunt on one of my services you will be explaining yourself to the BTP

O L Leigh

Established Member

Unfortunately that is not correct.

The way that the door controls operate prevents them operating unless there is a key in the door key switch in that cab, so the only way to operate the exterior doors is to force them open. Therefore there was never any way that the cabs were intended to be used by passengers in this way, officially or otherwise.

The layout of the cab is simply down to the design and operation practice envisioned for these trains at the time. There was no need for a full-width cab because there was never going to be a secondman riding up front, just a little tip-up for the guard were one was used, and it goes back so far simply because there needed to be doors for the crew to get in and out. To today's eyes it does look like a massive amount of space wasted, but that's how driver's cabs were laid out at the time. The only reason why the cab of, say, a Cl317 looks different is because they put a desk on the secondman's side and a few more walls to divide up the space. Other than that it's pretty much the same.

O L Leigh

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
I was gonna ask something like this, as a few weeks ago I saw from a Virgin 221 at Chester a Mersyrail guard open his door well before the train had stopped. I thought as they were powered doors some sort of interlocking prevented this from happening.

Adam :D

This happens very often at probably ever station with merseyrail

I have seen loads of HST drivers though with doors open as well. The drivers seat is quite a way from the door and there is no suction to suck the driver out

Southern313

Not sure whether or not the guards/drivers door on 313's used to be off the traction interlock but I can say that they definitely are part of the circuit now. I did have a unit with an automatic drivers window the other day, every bump would make it rise a couple inches at a time!

Matt Taylor

Established Member
We have 455s like that, plus the leaking roofs when it rains and vestibule doors that don't close properly.;)

Southern313

Water manages to find its way in through the front of 313's. The vestibule area ends up with little rivers trickling from the front end door to the saloon door. On one occasion after driving through a particularly sharp shower water was dripping down the INSIDE of the windscreen.

Harbon 1

Aren't some doors seperate from the cab? ie. on a 66, the door is further back from the cab suggesting there is another door from the corridoor into the cab, sort of like a deltic?

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
A mark 3 DVT is like that too, and I understand the cab layout of that is the same as a class 91. The door is technically in the cab (ie, you have to go through another door to get to the corridor) but it is in a totally separate area from the driver and second man's seats. There is a wall between where the driver sits and where the door is.

Matt Taylor

Established Member
Aren't some doors seperate from the cab? ie. on a 66, the door is further back from the cab suggesting there is another door from the corridoor into the cab, sort of like a deltic?

Yes, 455s are like this but the intermediate door is impossible to lock securely (this is also why passengers cannot walk through from one unit to another).

adc82140

Established Member
It can be dangerous- I'm sure I read somewhere that a tube driver on the Epping-Ongar section once got attacked by an angry rabbit when the door was open? :lol:

Gareth Marston

Established Member
I've seen a ex Pwllheli ATW Class 158 DMU run into Machynlleth station with the interconnecting gangway doors at the front open ready to join up with the Aberystwyth portion already at the platform with rear gangway door open waiting.

Do tell the DfT IEP team coupling can be done in seconds!

matchmaker

Established Member
When I was traincrew on the SVR BR standards were preferred by the guards on hot days over LMS or GWR stock. The reason? BR standards have an inward opening guards door which you could leave open so that you could stand in the breeze and keep cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.