• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Drop in passenger numbers sees train services cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the same early finish as the strike timetable which is a bit tough on any Health Service workers whose shift finishes at 2200

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

johntea

Established Member
Also the first 'due to Coronavirus I won't be coming down the train to check / sell tickets, but if you need me I'll be in the back cab' announcement this evening I've heard on Northern

Wonder if they still expect you to obtain a 'Promise to pay' from one of the large touch screens at unstaffed stations, I certainly wouldn't be a fan of touching one of those at the moment! At staffed stations presumably they're getting a regular wipe of course

WatcherZero

Established Member
Nice guard on my Northern train this morning still patrolling train, getting home was a nightmare though. 3 back to back cancellations so everyone at the station gave up and got the bus.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Nice guard on my Northern train this morning still patrolling train, getting home was a nightmare though. 3 back to back cancellations so everyone at the station gave up and got the bus.

And yet Southeastern, Thameslink and Southern between them ran very nearly a full peak service (c300 services) south of the river, with only 7 cancellations, despite the after effects of the fatality at East Croydon earlier in the day (which caused most of the cancellations).

Quite impressive really.

northernchris

Established Member
Also the first 'due to Coronavirus I won't be coming down the train to check / sell tickets, but if you need me I'll be in the back cab' announcement this evening I've heard on Northern

Wonder if they still expect you to obtain a 'Promise to pay' from one of the large touch screens at unstaffed stations, I certainly wouldn't be a fan of touching one of those at the moment! At staffed stations presumably they're getting a regular wipe of course

Northern staff aren't doing revenue checks for now, but passengers are still required to purchase tickets before boarding where possible

https://media.northernrailway.co.uk/news/coronavirus-travel-information

For tomorrow's pre-planned cancellations there's no semi fast between Leeds and Sheffield, and no service between Leeds and Lancaster, both of which seem odd choices to remove from the timetable. The railway seems to be scaling back much more than the bus network, who are moving mostly towards a Saturday service on weekdays, at least in West Yorkshire

Established Member
Cross country now showing on real time trains. Basically a hourly service on each route out of Birmingham:

Nottingham - Cardiff
Birmingham - standsted airport
Manchester - Bounmouth
Edinburgh - Plymouth (no extensions to Glasgow ect)

I13

Have Avanti pulled First Class catering and the onboard shop yet?
Can't speak for the status at the end of the day but someone from the shop came through this morning taking orders.

greatkingrat

Established Member
Changes to London Overground from Monday

NLL - 3tph Stratford - Richmond, 3tph Stratford - Clapham all day
ELL - all New Cross trains cancelled
West Anglia - Peak extras cancelled, base off-peak timetable unchanged at present
Goblin / DC - unchanged at present

MDB1images

I'm
Have Avanti pulled First Class catering and the onboard shop yet?

Not sure but certainly check if planning on relying on it.
TPE & LNER pulled it today, EMR pulled it earlier in week.
Most TOCs will cut down on all onboard passenger/crew interactions so ticket checks and catering will go to reduce unnecessary interactions.

AndrewE

Established Member
I'm not sure but certainly check if planning on relying on it.
TPE & LNER pulled it today, EMR pulled it earlier in week.
Most TOCs will cut down on all onboard passenger/crew interactions so ticket checks and catering will go to reduce unnecessary interactions.
If catering isn't safety-critical why pull it until the staff become unavailable? It's not even as though they can deputise for drivers or guards.
I suppose that it is more likely that they won't earn enough to cover their wages.
If a reduced service has enough punters per train to justify the shop, or whatever it is called, then keep it open, or be honest and admit it's not commercially viable.

JN114

Established Member
If catering isn't safety-critical why pull it until the staff become unavailable? It's not even as though they can deputise for drivers or guards.
I suppose that it is more likely that they won't earn enough to cover their wages.
If a reduced service has enough punters per train to justify the shop, or whatever it is called, then keep it open, or be honest and admit it's not commercially viable.

It’s to reduce transmission risk. Fewer people roaming about the train who don’t need to be there, lower transmission risk.

Killingworth

Established Member
Lots of TPE planned cuts tomorrow due to staff availability as a result of the Coronavirus and self-isolation on North Pennine, a couple of part runs to/from Preston on West Coast, but South Pennine looking as normal.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
A Sunday service is perhaps ok in London and the South East where there are a reasonable amount of trains on Sunday mornings. In other parts of the country there are many lines where there are very few trains before lunch time on Sundays, although many do have an adequate service later in the day. This would not be very suitable for essential workers to travel to and from work in the mornings.
This issue has also been raised concerning buses. Running a Sunday service is no use for those many routes outside major cities, even serving considerable sized populations, that do not have Sunday service.
Around 1500 on the Crewe - Derby line. Fits with a single shift in the signalboxes. Anything more would require more staff.

ChrisC

Established Member
For tomorrow's pre-planned cancellations there's no semi fast between Leeds and Sheffield, and no service between Leeds and Lancaster, both of which seem odd choices to remove from the timetable. The railway seems to be scaling back much more than the bus network, who are moving mostly towards a Saturday service on weekdays, at least in West Yorkshire

Northern do seem to have made a very sudden scaling back of services. I’m very surprised that the Leeds-Sheffield-Nottingham service has been selected to be totally withdrawn. I notice that Northern are running hourly rail replacement buses today between Sheffield and Nottingham otherwise stations like Ilkeston and Dronfield would almost have no service.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
And yet Southeastern, Thameslink and Southern between them ran very nearly a full peak service (c300 services) south of the river, with only 7 cancellations, despite the after effects of the fatality at East Croydon earlier in the day (which caused most of the cancellations).

Quite impressive really.

Looks like a full peak timetable has run on the GN side of TL

Given that many say that it's passengers that cause all the delays I hope everything ran to time ;):lol:

Essan

Trains appear to be running as normal today on the Cotswold line. But at 8am on a Friday morning there is not one single car parked at Evesham station (normally nearly full at this time). Quite eerie.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Government supports reduced rail time tables

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/reduced-rail-timetable-agreed-to-protect-train-services-and-staff

Doesn't give specifics but endorses it and says it makes way for freight.

With regards to franchised TOCs cost the government is backstopping everything and its easy enough for them to funnel money direct to franchises (in normal business they need the banks to be lenient and they have basically given them 330B of zero interest money to do that but it takes time to filter down) to cover costs.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
Cross country now showing on real time trains. Basically a hourly service on each route out of Birmingham:

Nottingham - Cardiff
Birmingham - standsted airport
Manchester - Bounmouth
Edinburgh - Plymouth (no extensions to Glasgow ect)

On the to / from Edinburgh, the North East and South West services, what's the likely hood of XC running single Voyagers only? Running as many 7-car HST's as possible (probably 3 on XC) would mean the now crucial social distancing - it would certainly be fine on the reduced frequency. If it was me I wouldn't be not using them as HST's out of use for the foreseeable then require hours of maintenance then - with Voyagers it's not so bad as some can rest, some can be used.

Aictos

Established Member
The revised timetables wouldn’t be done with clear Government acknkwkedgement. .

That I am aware of, the point I was trying to make is despite GTR being run on a management contract and the Govt being able to fine them for running less services then contracted I believe that fining GTR for doing that is the last thing on the Govt's mind especially as they have told everyone not to travel unless essential.

infobleep

Veteran Member
With the same early finish as the strike timetable which is a bit tough on any Health Service workers whose shift finishes at 2200
First of all my I thank all the staff working on the railways behind the scenes or at the front.

Things nuat be going to get bad if they need to run the strike timetable.

It means no train services between Guildford and Aldershot and no replacement buses either. That means Wanborough will hardly be served or not at all depending on what Great Western Railway do. I hope no key workers live there.

I wonder if they will cancel the buses over the Easter Guildford works between Aldershot and Guildford. I mean if some schools are not operating at the moment, there will be spare buses. However if people are advised not to travel, why put them on. If people are advised not to travel though, why put them on over Easter.

I see Great Western Railway are running an hourly service between Reading and Redhill. So nothing to Gatwick Airport. Be interesting to see if any of those stop at Wanborough. It would make sense for them to do so. I hope there is a good connection at Redhill or people will be hanging around for a while to head south. I know people are advised to only make essential journeys but there will be those needing to do just that from say Dorking to South of Gatwick Airport.

London and Thames Valley
An hourly service will operate.....
• between Reading and Redhill
https://www.gwr.com/travel-updates/live-network-updates/disruption-information

Are there examples of orher stations not having services? I guess we will know by Sunday.

Interestingly in the announcement on National Rail Enquiries, Great Western Railway are not listed. I am sure they will be added in due course. This is fast moving.

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/245388.aspx

Aictos

Established Member
Thameslink are advertising short notice cancellations due to driver shortages will be happening until end of service on the 30th April, do they know something we don't?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
https://www.tpexpress.co.uk/travel-updates/reduced-timetable
At first glance more like a 75% cut with only one fast per hour (LIV-) MCV-LDS[/QUOTE]

Well that should solve the Castlefield Corridor problem at a stroke.
No Airport services (bar a couple of early/late Scottish ones).
No Ordsall Chord services, Manchester Piccadilly terminators routed via Guide Bridge.
Schedules extended to allow for more stops.
Liverpool services (1tph) alternate between Scarborough and Newcastle.
Almost no TPE services Newcastle-Edinburgh.
North TPE core is 1tph Liverpool-Vic-York and beyond, plus a Pic-Leeds stopper; Leeds-Hull and South TPE go 2-hourly.
Manchester-Scotland mostly starts at Preston, goes 2-hourly and appears to serve Edinburgh only for most of the day.
No Liverpool-Glasgow services.

Typing this while the BBC is saying there is growing acceptance that this situation could last up to a year.
Is this the new normal?

Last edited:

_toommm_

Established Member
TPE from Monday are operating as follows (ONLY Monday to Saturday available so far):

SOUTH Transpennine (Piccadilly to Cleethorpes via Sheffield):
- Two-hourly service throughout the day.
- Starting at 08:19 from Piccadilly, then xx:18 until 22:20 (22:20 terminates at Doncaster, calls at Rotherham Central too)
- Starting at 05:36 from Doncaster and 06:26 from Cleethorpes, running at xx:26 from there until 20:26 (20:26 terminates at Sheffield)
- Dore and Totley served at 19:03 and 21:03 to Cleethorpes; 06:15 and 08:14 to the Airport. 19:03 to Cleethorpes, weirdly enough, misses out Habrough.

NORTH Transpennine EASTBOUND (Liverpool/Manchester Stations to Leeds/Hull/York/Newcastle/Edinburgh):
- NO departures from the Airport.
- Hourly from Lime Street, starting at 06:54, running at xx:54 until 19:54. Even-numbered hours to Newcastle, odd-numbered hours to Scarborough. All services calling at both Lea Green and Newton-le-Willows. 18:54 departure curtailed to York, 19:54 curtailed to Victoria.
- Hourly departure all stops from Manchester Piccadilly to Leeds (similar to the pre-May 2018 timetable), starting at 05:23, then xx:17 until 20:17. 05:23 runs through to Hull.
- Two-hourly shuttle from Leeds to Hull, first departing at 06:36 (originates at Piccadilly) then 08:34, 10:34, 12:34, 13:34, 15:24, 17:24 and 20:34. Does not allow a connection from Piccadilly stopper, so potentially a 56 minute wait for anyone needing it.
- Two services a day from York to Redcar Central at 05:05 and 17:39.
- Two services a day from Newcastle to Edinburgh at 10:18 and 14:18. Allows an 8-minute connection off the 06:54 ex. Lime Street (07:30 ex. Victoria, 08:27 ex. Leeds, 08:58 ex. York) and 10:54 ex. Lime Street (11:30 ex. Victoria, 12:27 ex. Leeds, 12:58 ex. York)

NORTH Transpennine WESTBOUND (Edinburgh/Newcastle/York/Hull/Leeds to Manchester Stations/Liverpool):
- Two-hourly service from Newcastle to Lime Street, starting at 07:00 then odd-numbered hours on the hour until 19:00 (19:00 terminates at York).
- Two-hourly service from Scarbourgh to Lime Street, starting at 06:34 then even-numbered hours at xx:34 until 18:34, final departure at 21:34.
- Hourly departure all stops from Leeds to Manchester Piccadilly (similar to the pre-May 2018 timetable) starting at 05:58 (Only calls at Dewsbury between Leeds and Huddersfield, then all stops to Piccadilly), then xx:47 until 19:47.
- Two-hourly shuttle from Hull to Leeds, first departing at 05:40 (runs through to Piccadilly all-stops) then 07:07, 09:08, 11:08, 12:08: 14:08, 16:08 and 19:08. Does not allow a connection to Piccadilly stopper, so potentially a 52 minute wait for anyone needing it.
- Two services a day from Redcar Central to York at 07:06 and 19:07.
- Two services a day from Edinburgh to Newcastle at 10:21 and 12:33. Connection Westbound is not as good as Eastbound at Newcastle onto the next TPE, mandating a 67 and 57-minute wait respectively.

West Coast Route (Liverpool/Manchester to Edinburgh/Glasgow Central (via Preston and Carlisle):
- Most services will start and terminate at Preston.
- Northbound, services will depart Preston two-hourly to Edinburgh, at 07:03, 09:04, 10:55, 13:03, 15:03, 17:04 and 19:05. All services call at Lancaster, Oxenholme, Penrith, Carlisle, Lockerbie and Haymarket (set-down only at Haymarket). 07:03 and 09:04 departures will originate at the Airport at 06:07 and 08:07 respectively (06:26 and 08:26 departures from Piccadilly respectively). 06:07 also calls at Bolton to pick-up only.
- Northbound, two services per day to Glasgow Central. 06:48 starts at Carlisle, calling at Lockerbie, Carstairs and Motherwell; 17:26 starts at Piccadilly, calling at the usual West Coast stops (minus Carstairs).
- Southbound, services will depart Edinburgh two-hourly to Preston, at 08:12, 10:12, 14:12, 16:12, 18:12 and 20:11. All services call at Haymarket (pick-up only at Haymarket), Lockerbie, Carlisle, Penrith, Oxenholme and Lancaster. No direct services from Edinburgh to the Airport.
- Southbound commuter services at 06:28 to the Airport and 07:08 ex. Oxenholme to Piccadilly.
- Southbound, two services per day from Glasgow Central. 04:22 departure calling at Lockerbie and Carlisle only; 17:08 departure to Piccadilly calling at the usual West Coast stops, plus set-down only at Bolton.

Last edited:

Greybeard33

Established Member
SOUTH Transpennine (Airport Piccadilly to Cleethorpes via Sheffield):
- Two-hourly service throughout the day.
- Starting at 08:19 from the Airport Piccadilly, then xx:18 until 22:20 (22:20 terminates at Doncaster, calls at Rotherham Central too)
- Starting at 05:36 from Doncaster and 06:26 from Cleethorpes, running at xx:26 from there until 20:26 (20:26 terminates at Sheffield)
- Dore and Totley served at 19:03 and 21:03 to Cleethorpes; 06:15 and 08:14 to the Airport Piccadilly. 19:03 to Cleethorpes, weirdly enough, misses out Habrough.
See corrections above - South TPE will start/terminate at Piccadilly and will not serve the Airport

Status
Not open for further replies.