• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Drop in passenger numbers sees train services cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

reddragon

Established Member
https://www.gwr.com/travel-updates/live-network-updates/disruption-information

High Speed Services
On the following long-distance routes there will be 1 train per hour in both directions:
• between London Paddington and Bristol Temple Meads
• between London Paddington and Swansea
• between London Paddington and Worcester Foregate Street
• between London Paddington and Plymouth*

*Please note: Services between London Paddington and Plymouth will alternate between a stopping service in the first hour, calling at Newbury, Pewsey, Westbury and Castle Cary (between 23-28 March, due to planned engineering work, this service will terminate at Castle Cary) and a fast service between London Paddington – Taunton – Plymouth in the second hour.

An hourly shuttle service will operate between Penzance and Plymouth with a varying calling pattern to intermediate stations.

A two hourly shuttle will operate between Swindon and Gloucester.

London and Thames Valley
An hourly service will operate on the following routes:
• between Reading and Basingstoke
• between Didcot Parkway and Oxford
• between Reading and Redhill
• between Reading and Newbury / Bedwyn
• between London Paddington and Didcot Parkway

The following branch lines will operate with a reduced service with amended timings:
• West Ealing – Greenford
• Slough – Windsor
• Maidenhead – Marlow/Bourne End
• Twyford – Henley-on-Thames

GWR states Sunday service but WTT shows a Saturday service on Thames Valley on Monday

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
LNR basically a Saturday service - quite surprised as that's basically almost no actual cut, just no peak extras.

Avanti:
- Hourly Liverpool/Manchester/Glasgow/Wolves
- No Scottish via Brum service
- Chester 1tpd each way, Holyhead 1tpd each way (this is a surprising axe)
- 0.5tph Chester-Birmingham via Stafford (an odd addition!)

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Avanti:
- Hourly Liverpool/Manchester/Glasgow/Wolves
- No Scottish via Brum service
- Chester 1tpd each way, Holyhead 1tpd each way (this is a surprising axe)
- 0.5tph Chester-Birmingham via Stafford (an odd addition!)

So that's 4tph out of Euston instead of 9-10tph.
The Birmingham-Chester replaces the Birmingham-Scotland as far as Crewe, connecting with the Euston-Glasgow which calls at Crewe.
No Euston-Crewe-Manchester either.

That explains why TPE are concentrating on Preston-Edinburgh, with Avanti operating only to Glasgow.
They clearly cooperated on the north WCML timetable.
Presumably GC will not start their Blackpool service in May (no Avanti Blackpools either, or Salops).

The reductions are quite severe really.
Sunday service on TfW, so 2-hourly Birmingham-Salop-Chester and only a couple of Cardiff-Holyheads.
Manchester-North Wales reduces to an hourly Manchester-Chester shuttle, connecting into an hourly Crewe-Holyhead.
Strangely, the new Liverpool-Chester remains hourly.

Last edited:

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
TFW will be operating a Sunday service but as the Sunday service starts later, there will be some enhancements in the morning before the normal start up

hwl

Established Member
With the proposed EMR service levels this means EMR could withdraw the existing VP185 HST sets over the weekend, will they?

johntea

Established Member
Many ‘leisure’ destinations now set to close from tonight, which I assume will drop passenger numbers by quite a spike! (Even though they were previously advised not to go out unless essential...)

infobleep

Veteran Member
https://www.gwr.com/travel-updates/live-network-updates/disruption-information

GWR states Sunday service but WTT shows a Saturday service on Thames Valley on Monday
Well the North Downs Line are not getting a Sunday service that is for sure.

Has anyone got examples of stations that won't have a train service from Monday or will have a greatly reduced one?

South Western Railway Twitter staff say that passengers for Wanborough have use the Kite bus but the Wanborough Rail Users Group claim that is the other side of the parish and not much use.

@grantshapps “We are...ensuring key worker heroes can get to their jobs to keep this nation running." Unless they have the bad luck to travel from #Wanborough, in which case they have no means to get to work at all. @SW_Help why can you not ask @GWRHelp to add stops? #abandoned

@SW_Help please could we have an answer to the question? Your network map shows GWR services running through #Wanborough, but it is impossible to use them to get to and from work: four a day in each direction and not at practical times. Why can you not ask @GWRHelp to stop 1/hr?
Kite buses are not a workable alternative for the vast majority of people who take the train because they run at the wrong end of the parish, unlike in Ash and Aldershot. Why are you not asking @GWRHelp to stop one train an hour at #Wanborough ?
https://twitter.com/users_rail/status/1240964429254201347?s=19

A member of the Twitter staff did at least say they would investigate further.

Worth noting that during the SWR strike, GWR didn't add in any extra stops and although SWR didn't run a bus,L for most of the strike, they did over the Christmas works around Guildford, which is when less people would have been travelling. They works were prearranged and a bus would have been requested as no doubt one has been for the Easter works.

Last edited:

JN114

Established Member
GWR North Downs will be hourly Redhill stopper from Monday

syorksdeano

Northern have just announced their revised timetable, and it certainly takes some reading and understanding

infobleep

Veteran Member
GWR North Downs will be hourly Redhill stopper from Monday
Indeed, which isn't a Sunday service. That's all the point I was making, in case anyone through all Thames Valley services were a Sunday service from Monday.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Just noticed on Monday that between 23:00 and 0;00 there will be four fast trains from Waterloo to Guildford. That seems overkill.

Will these be running for stock positioning moments, but run in passenger service as they can?

In contrast between 19:00 and 22:00 here will be just one train per hour. So three trains in three hours vers four in one hour! Most of the day it is two trains an hour.

They have done well to put up the timetables this far ahead. I guess having the strike timetable to work from has helped.

Edit: I just looked up Real Time Trains Nd the answer seems to be yes. The 23;15 runs to Fratton once it reaches Portsmouth Harbour.

WatcherZero

Established Member
Everything between 5pm and 6pm Daisy Hill towards Wigan was showing cancelled today at the station, luckily finished work a little early and managed to catch one at 4:56 otherwise I would have been screwed again.

There were the planned cancellations but also all the services that were supposed to be still running were cancelled due to lack of drivers.

I am a key sector worker (Company manufactures medicine) but am expecting now total collapse of public transport at some point next week and so being unable to reach work.

hwl

Established Member
I am wondering if special security / monitoring arrangements are in hand for the Tesco trains. Thinking of 1963 .........
The Daventry - Inverness Bog Roll delivery being held up would add a certain level of surrealism to the the current situation!

WatcherZero

Established Member
At work Weve put our loo roll supplies in the cage where controlled drugs are locked up.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Looks like a full peak timetable has run on the GN side of TL

Given that many say that it's passengers that cause all the delays I hope everything ran to time ;):lol:

Pretty much. There were some cancellations here and there but I think the PPM has been in the 90s.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Thameslink are advertising short notice cancellations due to driver shortages will be happening until end of service on the 30th April, do they know something we don't?

A driver could opt to self isolate on the day, so surely every TOC must be saying the same? It's going to happen so people ought to prepare for alterations on the day that weren't on the system at the start of the day or before.

_toommm_

Established Member
Northern have just announced their revised timetable, and it certainly takes some reading and understanding

It’s a big list of affected routes tomorrow. I really do wish I could work from home, but it’ll be interesting to see what Piccadilly looks like tomorrow morning...

MDB1images

Everything between 5pm and 6pm Daisy Hill towards Wigan was showing cancelled today at the station, luckily finished work a little early and managed to catch one at 4:56 otherwise I would have been screwed again.

There were the planned cancellations but also all the services that were supposed to be still running were cancelled due to lack of drivers.

I am a key sector worker (Company manufactures medicine) but am expecting now total collapse of public transport at some point next week and so being unable to reach work.

Northern will have a emergency timetable in place that gives a better guarantee of running than what some TOCs have witnessed this week as staff have fallen ill or been forced to self isolate so hopefully something in place that's less frequent but more robust so you can travel with more confidence to work.

bnsf734

I have looked at XC on Monday and the Birmingham - Leicester stoppers have been cut. There are no additional stops added on the Birmingham - Stansted fasts. This leaves Hinckley, Narborough and South Wigston with a large gap in service outside the peaks where the Stansteds do sometimes stop. In the case of Hinckley there is a gap in trains towards Birmingham between 0809 and 1809 and towards Leicester, between 0857 and 1658.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
GTR running Saturday service from 23/9 then Sunday service from 30/9. Totally understandable and better to go with something they can sustain just hope they have every train at maximum formation routes permitting

PTR 444

Established Member
Been checking the SWR website but they have no information regarding their reduced timetable effective as of Monday. Is there anyone on here from SWR that might have some idea as to what their proposed service pattern will look like?

Aictos

Established Member
Don’t think they are carrying bog roll. Should be ok.

Are they carrying bottled water as that was the other main product I've seen people go crazy for....

GTR running Saturday service from 23/9 then Sunday service from 30/9. Totally understandable and better to go with something they can sustain just hope they have every train at maximum formation routes permitting

Where has this been confirmed please?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Been checking the SWR website but they have no information regarding their reduced timetable effective as of Monday. Is there anyone on here from SWR that might have some idea as to what their proposed service pattern will look like?

Close to the strike timetable.

Rich McLean

Established Member
I have looked at XC on Monday and the Birmingham - Leicester stoppers have been cut. There are no additional stops added on the Birmingham - Stansted fasts. This leaves Hinckley, Narborough and South Wigston with a large gap in service outside the peaks where the Stansteds do sometimes stop. In the case of Hinckley there is a gap in trains towards Birmingham between 0809 and 1809 and towards Leicester, between 0857 and 1658.

Special Stop Orders will be added to these where possible. Will ask a friend of mine on the coal face at Cannan House for confirmation

Status
Not open for further replies.