• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Drop Out Rate for Trainee Train Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timpg

Ours is :

Written Assessments (multiple choice)
Full Rules (95% pass mark I think)
PTS (max two wrong, cant remember how many questions)
Traction
Fire training/Assessment (computer based) (10 questions 90% pass mark)

Driving (typically 2/3 days)
All routes driven and verified for route knowledge.
Must include dark driving

Static Duties
Attachment/Detachment
Unit Prep
Unit walkaround (Verbal Q&A)

Simulator
General Skills drive
Faults and faulures
Temp Block / Single line working
+Random DM choice

It's a long week and it can push you to your limit but you should only be assessed when you are deemed competent so yes, kinda tickboxy for the most part.

After you pass
Full assessment end of your first year and then moves to a two year cycle (everything must be covered within 2yrs).
At least 2/3 OTMR downloads every year.
Driving assessment, Sim run, Fire training, PTS (yearly)
Learning and Development day every year (typically themed by local issues or something required by the RSSB/ORR/NR etc)

as someone who is near 60hrs in to my hours ( paused due to Covid ). I must admit I’m finding the thought of the final assessment terrifying lol!!
being off for the past 5months or so hasn’t helped!
But I’m sure it will all come flooding back once I get back out there.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ComUtoR

Established Member
as someone who is near 60hrs in to my hours ( paused due to Covid ). I must admit I’m finding the thought of the final assessment terrifying lol!!

60hrs Ahhhhhh how cute :)

You still have a long journey to go so try to sit back and enjoy where you are and what your doing rather than worrying too much. Everything comes with time. There will be a point where routes suddenly click and the giant jigsaw makes sense. You will stick the brake in before the DI says so and whilst you panic a little, they'll sit and smile. Clanging and banging will be a soft as a kiss from a beautiful woman.

It's important to remember that you don't get put up for your assessment till you are ready. Very different from the previous tests. You are taking a test they know you're gonna pass 8-)

Established Member
Full Rules by multiple choice questions? How effective is that in reality?
It must vary by TOC - as I have never taken a multiple choice exam and many TOCs do not have simulators.

Timpg

60hrs Ahhhhhh how cute :)

You still have a long journey to go so try to sit back and enjoy where you are and what your doing rather than worrying too much. Everything comes with time. There will be a point where routes suddenly click and the giant jigsaw makes sense. You will stick the brake in before the DI says so and whilst you panic a little, they'll sit and smile. Clanging and banging will be a soft as a kiss from a beautiful woman.

It's important to remember that you don't get put up for your assessment till you are ready. Very different from the previous tests. You are taking a test they know you're gonna pass 8-)

cheers mate, I think this whole corona business has knocked my confidence a bit, I’m still yet to continue training as of yet.
before lockdown I considered myself as getting on really well, with very positive feedback from my DI . I had already pretty much memorised two of my core routes with crossings included.
Yet I know there is still a massive amount to learn so I’m not one to run before I can walk lol!!
I was gutted when training ceased. I’m loving every minute of it though, I have an excellent DI and the training has been tough but well structured and you are made to feel very supported and comfortable.

Vespa

Established Member
Out of curiosity how much do train drivers earn ?
Does it very from local trains, freight to intercity train even between TOCs ?

I'm will obviously be comparing it to my current job and the responsibilty to go with it.

It is sort of comforting to know inept management is not exclusive to my company.:lol:

craigybagel

Established Member

I'm will obviously be comparing it to my current job and the responsibilty to go with it.

It is sort of comforting to know inept management is not exclusive to my company.:lol:
How long is a piece of string?

Every TOC & FOC has its own T&Cs and salary levels. Some even have different depots within the company with staff on different salaries and conditions. As a very broad rule of thumb the InterCity TOCs traditionally have the highest salaries, with the Regional companies at the bottom and London & the South East somewhere in between, but lately even that has been changing.

Anywhere between 50-70k per year is the typical salary for a fully qualified driver, but of course there are more things to consider then just salary. My TOC has one of the lowest salaries out there, but we have good T&C's, guaranteed guards on every train, Sundays outside the working week and we're far enough away from London that the cost of living isn't too bad, so it still makes for a very decent salary.

Established Member

It can be quite competitive between TOCs sometimes - as the licence means you can drive for anyone.

Generally depot drivers are on 30+ and mainline drivers on 55+ as far as I am aware.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Full Rules by multiple choice questions? How effective is that in reality?

Considering the number of people who still fail it.... pretty effective.

There is a LOT of history behind our assessment process and lets just say that 'fairness' is why its been designed in such a way. Each TOC will have their own process but the knowledge is more important than how the test is taken.

My Rules assessment was known as 'The day from hell'

Established Member

You’ll find will come back pretty quickly once you get “back into the saddle”. I spent my first 60 hours or so with a DI right at the far end of my TOC’s network, driving mostly over routes I would never sign. It didn’t make any difference to how long I took to pass out. The first few weeks you’re mostly learning about train handling rather then doing route learning per se.

The final assessment really shouldn’t be anything to worry about. Obviously you’ll feel a few nerves but, by this stage, you are effectively just consolidating knowledge. Of the people I know who ended up being unsuccessful, their “issues” had become apparent at a much earlier stage of the training.

Eccles1983

On Moderation
You will have failed your final assessment weeks and months before the actual day.

It's all down to applying yourself professionally. During my rules course I did about 2 hours revision of what I learned at home each night.

I drew airlines, electrical systems etc. This helped me who didn't come from a mechanical background to understand what's happening.

Driving wise during my hours I listened, asked and copied. I developed my instructors driving style. Again on my days off I did an hour or so on routes, drawing line sketches and signal locations speeds etc.

It sounds very daunting and won't work for everyone. But I got every question right on my rules week (100 random computer questions, 4 booklets on traction, routes, degraded working and general company stuff)

What you put in early in your training you get back at the end.

I still do some of the above now when learning new routes.

mstrwvr

You will have failed your final assessment weeks and months before the actual day.

It's all down to applying yourself professionally. During my rules course I did about 2 hours revision of what I learned at home each night.

I drew airlines, electrical systems etc. This helped me who didn't come from a mechanical background to understand what's happening.

Driving wise during my hours I listened, asked and copied. I developed my instructors driving style. Again on my days off I did an hour or so on routes, drawing line sketches and signal locations speeds etc.

It sounds very daunting and won't work for everyone. But I got every question right on my rules week (100 random computer questions, 4 booklets on traction, routes, degraded working and general company stuff)

What you put in early in your training you get back at the end.

I still do some of the above now when learning new routes.

This is really helpful, thank you.

387star

On Moderation
A trainee on my course qualified after nearly two years training (the worst trainee a DI told me he had ever had) then after four weeks Qualified stopped short got drug screened and was over limits so sacked

Another trainee failed the final pass out three times and was redeployed

Stigy

Established Member
Likewise, especially reading all about it here :D

At 221 hours I was paused due to Covid just prior to my sim assessment and final passout (plus a slight top up of hours). As has been said though, you’ll only go through assessments when deemed ready. At 60hrs you have time to get back in to the swing of things at least.

Tomnick

Established Member
Considering the number of people who still fail it.... pretty effective.

There is a LOT of history behind our assessment process and lets just say that 'fairness' is why its been designed in such a way. Each TOC will have their own process but the knowledge is more important than how the test is taken.

My Rules assessment was known as 'The day from hell'
I've always taken the view that it's possible to test one's knowledge with a multiple-choice test, but much harder to design one that tests one's understanding, especially the fundamental principles, without inadvertently prompting the candidate (e.g. with the wording of subsequent questions) or making the questions so convoluted that it becomes a test of your grasp of the English language instead! Hopefully that's still dug out in other ways during the assessment cycle? The 'day from hell' for me was the written rules exam - eight hours or so, fifty-odd sides of A4 (just answers, questions on separate sheets) if I remember correctly. Some one-line answers, some full page "empty your mind" essays. I quite enjoyed it really but it's still gruelling, but it really digs deep into the depths of your understanding of the subject!

Dynamonic

Final classroom written rules is definitely intense, both content wise and time-limit wise.
Endless writing, diagram drawing and the constant feeling you’re lagging behind, yet you’re too scared to miss anything out because every mark is crucial, and you know the pass mark you need to achieve is in the 90%’s.
It’s a non-stop frantic dash with your pen, which for my course, lasted a full two days, and by the end of each day, you’ll be hot, sweaty and your hands will hurt.
As Tomnick mentioned, some questions only require a sentence or two, and others will take several pages to answer as you go into deep detail about how things work and procedures etc.

Yet, despite it all, you somehow get through it.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Understanding™

100% all day.

My 'day from hell' was literally that in all sense of the word. It was you in front of a white board with the Assessor firing questions at you for around 8hrs. It was also a 'Day from hell' You booked on - booking on procedures etc. Go and find your train and prep it (in service/out of service faults) - shunting and depot protection etc. Then you took your train out - more shunting procedures. It derails in the sidings/passing shunt signals at danger etc. Swap trains, out for a trip. Passcomed, Temp block (train fails) Single line working (pilotman etc). train derails (emergency protection etc) All scenario based questions. The Assessor just hammering you with everything they could think of and diagrams for everything !! It was 100% or fail. Also based solely on the whim of the Assessor. No paperwork, no evidence train, just their word against yours. If they didn't like you; you got hammered. If they liked you; easy day. not much went wrong, draw up a 4 aspect sequence.

I'll think I'll take that multi choice paper :)

Loonylefty

This has made interesting reading as I could be having a serious think about the future should I get to the point of being offered a trainee driver role.

I’m currently in a job which is on par with qualified driver pay so even though I can sustain a significant drop whilst training, I don’t want to end up with no job whatsoever should I not make the grade after taking on the role.

LCC106

Established Member
The reality is that those who fail will most likely be falling behind at various points during the training. A driving instructor will know if you‘re just “not getting it” or if you maybe learn differently from others.

50 sides of A4 to answer questions that were on other sheets? Now that’s being hammered unless your company doesn’t do any face-to-face questioning. Never heard of that before! 30 sides maximum with questions printed on the sheet is more my experience. If in doubt, keep verbal answers brief. Expand on them as your manager asks. Stops you digging a hole for yourself. Not quite sure how to write an answer down for paper based questions? Leave it, come back to it later and if necessary tell your manager you’ve left it blank as you’re not sure how to word it. A good manager will get the info out of you.

Terms and conditions / salaries for different TOCs and FOCs can be found here but aren’t necessarily up-to-date. https://www.aslef.org.uk/article.php?group_id=148

FastTrax

100% all day.

My 'day from hell' was literally that in all sense of the word. It was you in front of a white board with the Assessor firing questions at you for around 8hrs. It was also a 'Day from hell' You booked on - booking on procedures etc. Go and find your train and prep it (in service/out of service faults) - shunting and depot protection etc. Then you took your train out - more shunting procedures. It derails in the sidings/passing shunt signals at danger etc. Swap trains, out for a trip. Passcomed, Temp block (train fails) Single line working (pilotman etc). train derails (emergency protection etc) All scenario based questions. The Assessor just hammering you with everything they could think of and diagrams for everything !! It was 100% or fail. Also based solely on the whim of the Assessor. No paperwork, no evidence train, just their word against yours. If they didn't like you; you got hammered. If they liked you; easy day. not much went wrong, draw up a 4 aspect sequence.

can anyone tell if the final testing in 2020/21 are still done in this fashion? 8 hours and so many A4 papers etc?

martin2345uk

Established Member
Ours is :

Written Assessments (multiple choice)
Full Rules (95% pass mark I think)
PTS (max two wrong, cant remember how many questions)
Traction
Fire training/Assessment (computer based) (10 questions 90% pass mark)

Driving (typically 2/3 days)
All routes driven and verified for route knowledge.
Must include dark driving

Static Duties
Attachment/Detachment
Unit Prep
Unit walkaround (Verbal Q&A)

Simulator
General Skills drive
Faults and faulures
Temp Block / Single line working
+Random DM choice

It's a long week and it can push you to your limit but you should only be assessed when you are deemed competent so yes, kinda tickboxy for the most part.

After you pass
Full assessment end of your first year and then moves to a two year cycle (everything must be covered within 2yrs).
At least 2/3 OTMR downloads every year.
Driving assessment, Sim run, Fire training, PTS (yearly)
Learning and Development day every year (typically themed by local issues or something required by the RSSB/ORR/NR etc)

Its amazing to see the differences between companies. At my FOC my passing out involved a verbal rules test, written fire and PTS test and a drive on a route I was not familiar with. Would love to have a sim as part of it, I think that would be be really helpful, but we don’t have any of those.

Tomnick

Established Member
100% all day.

Ah, that sort of "day from hell". I get you know. Our written epic followed a similar theme, albeit in a more roundabout sort of way. "Here's the scenario: you've derailed as shown in the diagram - write down exactly what you're going to do about it". There's a written record of everything though, so no favouritism in the marking. I'm inclined to say that I think I'd have preferred a nice easy multiple-choice paper, but I'm not so sure - at least with this, I could be certain at the end of it that I had a good Understanding™ ! Take the example of emergency protection, and the straightforward question of when you have to put your dets down before you reach the distance ("four teas and a sugar" - @Dynamonic will know what I mean even if no-one else does!): I just don't know how you could word a multiple-choice question without prompting the candidate, let alone the subsequent question of which way you go first at a junction, and if it's too easy then you're just churning out drivers who potentially don't really know their stuff.

Tomnick

Established Member
This has made interesting reading as I could be having a serious think about the future should I get to the point of being offered a trainee driver role.

I’m currently in a job which is on par with qualified driver pay so even though I can sustain a significant drop whilst training, I don’t want to end up with no job whatsoever should I not make the grade after taking on the role.
It appears daunting, but (wherever you go) as long as you put the effort in and turn up with the right attitude every day, you’ll almost certainly get through it. The support is excellent - they’ve invested too much in you to have it any other way. A couple of people failed the big exam on my course, but they all got a lot of extra time with the trainers and they all got through it on the second attempt. I understand that they’d have been given a verbal assessment with an independent person if they’d failed round two, where of course they’re in a much better position to discuss “difficult” questions and try a different approach to get the answers out and judge how well they understand it.

SlimJim1694

It's not as bad as people are making out. Don't forget you will already have been given plenty of opportunity to learn the stuff you get assessed on at the end, and will have already passed assessments on it. There will be nothing in there you don't already know. I think some people who already have the luxury of having a key might be looking back on their own part six through tinted spectacles and embellishing tales of how hard it is. You've only got to stick your head round the door of any drivers mess room to see we are not rocket scientists. Don't let these accounts put you off... if you put the work in you will pass.

FastTrax

Definitely not for all TOCs/FOCs.
thanks... i hope we can use pc to type cos my writing will resemble foreign characters once i am done with writing one page lol. thanks a lot for all the answers... i have one thing to say to people who are in my situation is that they give us plenty of good training and time and everything we need to pass the stuff.... if u still don't pass after two attempts then its either u r not getting it all which will be picked up a lot before the final assessment time, or u r not putting the effort in.

S-Car-Go

Just came across this thread. I'm in the same boat (I would say train but haven't been in 1 of those in months!). Barely 20 hours into mainline handling before lockdown happened.

The assessments do sound monumental. But from what has been said, they assess you when you're ready. Bit like they don't put you in a cab for handling until you've passed all your rules & traction first.

Has your TOC given you anything to revise (questions, material, etc) while you're at home? All we have is our classroom notes, and DVDs of the core route.

Status
Not open for further replies.