• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DRS 47501 - Not Dead Yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fgwrich

Established Member
Looks like 47501 isnt dead afterall, as this picture has cropped up on Carl Watsons website:

http://www.carlswatson.com/Trains/G...stleighWorks/eastleighworks18thjune20125.html

Now whilst the main picture is of 47839 undergoing it's overhaul, note the 47 in the corner - original bufferbeam cowling, filled in headcode box & Filled in DRS Multi Socket!

So, looks like somethings up with 47501, and it dosent look like the end game afterall.

(I wonder if there has been a late change with 501, considering 841s consistantly poor reliability?)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crossforth

Established Member
Looks like 47501 isnt dead afterall, as this picture has cropped up on Carl Watsons website:

http://www.carlswatson.com/Trains/G...stleighWorks/eastleighworks18thjune20125.html

Now whilst the main picture is of 47839 undergoing it's overhaul, note the 47 in the corner - original bufferbeam cowling, filled in headcode box & Filled in DRS Multi Socket!

So, looks like somethings up with 47501, and it dosent look like the end game afterall.

(I wonder if there has been a late change with 501, considering 841s consistantly poor reliability?)

I do believe it's being stripped of parts

fgwrich

Established Member
Ah, but if it's being stripped of its parts, why would it have it's former headcode box removed and replaced / filled in? Same goes for the former DRS Multi working socket which also seems to have been filled in too - And it can't be any other 47 on site, as 813 & 853 are completed, and 709 wasnt fitted with the unique DRS Multi working socket.

Plus, it dosent seem to have moved from its position when it first arrived, so who knows - But i think there's more than meets the eye with 501 - And after the other bits of work carried out on DRS's 47s at Eastleigh, ive got a pretty positive feeling about this one. (It also seems to be mentioned on WNXX as another one of DRS's worst kept secrects, so who knows?)

Speaking of 47s down in Eastleigh works - 47832 Made it down south in convoy today with a DRS 37.

Crimson_Quiff

The last time I had Duff 501 was out of Stranraer in June 2007 when it acted as draw back loco for 40145.

For a 47, it didn't sound too bad actually! Very Ratty... :o

SprinterMan

Established Member
Ah, but if it's being stripped of its parts, why would it have it's former headcode box removed and replaced / filled in? Same goes for the former DRS Multi working socket which also seems to have been filled in too - And it can't be any other 47 on site, as 813 & 853 are completed, and 709 wasnt fitted with the unique DRS Multi working socket.

Plus, it dosent seem to have moved from its position when it first arrived, so who knows - But i think there's more than meets the eye with 501 - And after the other bits of work carried out on DRS's 47s at Eastleigh, ive got a pretty positive feeling about this one. (It also seems to be mentioned on WNXX as another one of DRS's worst kept secrects, so who knows?)

Speaking of 47s down in Eastleigh works - 47832 Made it down south in convoy today with a DRS 37.

Did DRS have their own multiple working system then? I assume so they could work 20s/37s/47s in any combination. What do they use now then, blue star?

Adam :D

fgwrich

Established Member
DRS had their own type of Multi Working i believe, hence the extra sockets on the 20s, 37s & 47501 & 802.

Latest gen seems to be:

"501 is coming back with the PU from 839, as 839's bodywork is in very poor condition"

So welcome back 501, Looking foward to seeing you again!

GNERman

Established Member
Yeah, to quote from WNXX "Although earmarked for spares recovery when despatched to Eastleigh Works in May 47501 (XHSS) has been receiving attention which indicates that repairs have been authorised. Whether 47839 (XHHP) which went to Eastleigh with 47501 is still to be repaired remains to be seen."

Dreadnought

DRS had their own type of Multi Working i believe, hence the extra sockets on the 20s, 37s & 47501 & 802.
Was lucky enough to see 47501 working in multi with 37059 in August 2008 on a stoneblower move.

Never remember reading reports of a 47 / 37 or 20 in multi before or after either so not sure how many times DRS actually did this.

Hydro

Established Member

It's pretty much Blue Star with an improved jumper socket. We pipe their multi through Blue Star cabling using an adapter jumper. I don't know if this is because the pins have been changed or simply because the jumpers and sockets on the DRS system have a (much better) different connection system.

fgwrich

Established Member
Aha, Thanks Hyrdo for clearing that one up (I was down in college at the time of posting and my mind went blank, so that's all i could remember) Pin wise, im not sure but i think it's a case of the latter with the DRS system having a better connection system.

Status
Not open for further replies.