• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DRS 68 and 88 pairs on electric?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikePJ

I've seen a number of videos of nuclear flask trains (Bridgwater -> Crewe, for example) being hauled by a 68 and an 88 working together. A search of the forums suggests that 68+88 pairs have been around for a while. These trains eventually find their way to an electrified line, but do they actually change over to electric? Is it possible to drive the pair in electric mode with a driver in the cab of the 68? Here's a video showing them at Walsall definitely still burning oil:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ABB125

Established Member
(Apologies for borrowing this thread)
On a similar note, is it possible for the class 68's engine to provide power to the class 88's traction motors as well as its own? As for the original question, can the electricity from the class 88's pantograph be used to power the class 68? I suppose it depends on whether there in some sort of high-capacity electrical connection between the two.

tramdan

The 88 cannot run on electric with the 68 leading. I understand this is because the 68s lack controls for the pantograph.

On Moderation
(Apologies for borrowing this thread)
On a similar note, is it possible for the class 68's engine to provide power to the class 88's traction motors as well as its own? As for the original question, can the electricity from the class 88's pantograph be used to power the class 68? I suppose it depends on whether there in some sort of high-capacity electrical connection between the two.
No and no. There is no power connection between them.

Energy

Established Member
The 88 cannot run on electric with the 68 leading. I understand this is because the 68s lack controls for the pantograph.
I thought they could but the only the pantograph couldn't be controlled so it would be put up by someone going to the 88 cab when the train was stationary.

tramdan

I thought they could but the only the pantograph couldn't be controlled so it would be put up by someone going to the 88 cab when the train was stationary.

The pantograph needs to be able to be controlled from the cab so it can be lowered on the move in an emergency. Any raised pantograph must be under someone's control.

Mollman

Established Member
Over the bank holiday weekend the Daventry - Grangemouth DRS trains were diverted via the ECML with an 88/68 combi, the 88 led in both directions with electric mode under the wires. I am not actually sure why the 68 was needed unless it was diverted off juice somewhere.

matchmaker

Established Member
Over the bank holiday weekend the Daventry - Grangemouth DRS trains were diverted via the ECML with an 88/68 combi, the 88 led in both directions with electric mode under the wires. I am not actually sure why the 68 was needed unless it was diverted off juice somewhere.

Did the 88 go all the way to Grangemouth under electric power?

InOban

Established Member
It presumably ran via the not yet electrified Edinburgh Sub, then via the climb to Midcalder, which is awaiting a new feeder to boost the power. This would let it approach Grangemouth from the Mossend direction.

CW2

Established Member
Have they sorted the power supply issues on the ECML yet (which caused the TPE bi-modes to have to run in diesel mode at certain locations)? If not, that might be a good reason for the 68 being involved.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Have they sorted the power supply issues on the ECML yet (which caused the TPE bi-modes to have to run in diesel mode at certain locations)? If not, that might be a good reason for the 68 being involved.

No, but it’s only certain times of day / week tha tthe TPE trains have to use diesel. Depending when the freight is, it could be ok.

Richard Scott

Established Member
Assume they used Electric up ECML as was heading up past Newcastle late at night so guessing demand much lower then?

MikePJ

Here's an 88-68 pair operating with the 88 leading, pan up:
(also a very young commentator!)

Status
Not open for further replies.