• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DRS renting DB Class 66's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spirit555

It has been quoted on WNXX that DRS are renting 5 x Class 66, 031, 091, 108, 122, 126 and possibly another 5. No length of hire mentioned.

Thanks to WNXX for that

What effect that will have on other DRS traction remains to be seen

Hope this is of interest

Mark

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On Moderation
It has been quoted on WNXX that DRS are renting 5 x Class 66, 031, 091, 108, 122, 126 and possibly another 5. No length of hire mentioned.

Thanks to WNXX for that

Hope this is of interest

Mark
“Long term hire” is the phrase used, which suggests it is more of a lease than a hire.

ExRes

Established Member

Thanks to WNXX for that

Hope this is of interest

Mark

I suppose a fairly good guess would be the pensioning off of part of the Class 37 fleet, they have 37/0s, 37/2s, 37/6s and a 37/7 which the 66s could easily and sensibly replace, the 37/4s may be a good bet to keep for the time being though as they are ETS fitted, I expect there's a few preserved railways getting a little excited at this news if DRS are to release 37s

ExRes

Established Member
The 5 locos have been transferred into a DRS pool and were moved from Toton to Crewe this afternoon, it will be interesting to see when they go into service and what news, if any, comes out about futures of the 'heritage' fleet

Richard Scott

Established Member
Interesting - quite a long term hire then? Considering they offloaded a number a while back as wanted to concentrate on 'low emission locos' now got some higher emission ones back.

Murray J

Yeah I'd imagine so. Probably a similar length in hiring to the 57s ROG have from DRS, one is unbranded now and another is in livery. From what I've seen on railcam, the leased 66s operate mostly intermodals, so I'd guess they're for increased intermodal traffic or something along those lines.

Richard Scott

Established Member
Yeah I'd imagine so. Probably a similar length in hiring to the 57s ROG have from DRS, one is unbranded now and another is in livery. From what I've seen on railcam, the leased 66s operate mostly intermodals, so I'd guess they're for increased intermodal traffic or something along those lines.
Often see one on the Tesco train to Wentloog although has been a 66/4 for a while, 108 and then 031 certainly were on it for quite some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.