• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DRS - Trainee Train Driver - London (13/01/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Corin_VL

A slightly bit confused as the advert says London, but the position location in the drop down menu only says York. Applied anyway

Carl98k

I’ve emailed them today, it’s London. They’re looking at the system as I applied and pressed submit and all the data was lost, pretty frustrating

Towers

Established Member
A relative attempted to apply for DRS before Christmas, he completed the application over a couple of days only to find that they'd seemimgly pulled the job when he tried to submit, no trace of it on their website. Would suggest disregarding the advertised closing date if you're having a crack at this one!

utternoob

RIGHT i have tried twice now to save my application and twice been wiped ! done all the questions as well WTF !<(

lambo89

A relative attempted to apply for DRS before Christmas, he completed the application over a couple of days only to find that they'd seemimgly pulled the job when he tried to submit, no trace of it on their website. Would suggest disregarding the advertised closing date if you're having a crack at this one!
This advert will close when sufficient applications have been received

Carl98k

It wiped mine twice. So I added all the information to a document then pasted it over. I then got a message saying I don’t meet the criteria despite having already passing the psychometric tests with another TOC. I believe it be location, the only location available to select is York. I’ll email the recruiter on Monday. Has anyone else had this issue?

NorthernTech

You aren’t the only one, by far one of the worst websites I’ve ever used
You’ve obviously never used Network Rail’s website when you had to spend hours filling in 70 questions! If it was your first time, you’d fill in many many questions for an hour or so then it would say something like ‘sorry you have exceeded the time limit’ and ALL the info you’d typed in was lost! Almost threw my laptop!! But I soon learned you have to note the questions, type them up in word and transfer across to job application when ready. Not sure if DRS would work same though..

Astro_Orbiter

Have DRS ever taken on trainees like this? I know they've had some kind of apprenticeship sort of thing before aimed at younger people, but not like this straight into the seat as it were. From what I understand most of the work is containers to/from Daventry including the Tesco train, with some of the car trains from Fords as well as some other RHTT and ad hoc sort of stuff. Not much nuclear work from London I don't think.

4-SUB 4732

Established Member
Have DRS ever taken on trainees like this? I know they've had some kind of apprenticeship sort of thing before aimed at younger people, but not like this straight into the seat as it were. From what I understand most of the work is containers to/from Daventry including the Tesco train, with some of the car trains from Fords as well as some other RHTT and ad hoc sort of stuff. Not much nuclear work from London I don't think.
You end up doing the following apparently:
- Ford cars between Dagenham and Crewe (not always Crewe).
- Containers from Tilbury to Daventry, but some work towards Rugby and Crewe.
- Dungeness nuclear.
- Moving 68s on / off Wembley Chiltern to/from Crewe.
- Some random bits but no RHTT as that’s Stowmarket drivers including some drivers from depots such as Carlisle who have a few weeks ‘holiday’ there at Autumn time.

They used to have some stuff like Northern Belle but not now; and they used to do a bit of light engines to/from Eastleigh as well. Not sure if they have a Euston / Wembley Thunderbird turn?

But it sounds like there’s more container work in the pipeline. Probably a good depot to go to all told.

Stigy

Established Member
You end up doing the following apparently:
- Ford cars between Dagenham and Crewe (not always Crewe).
- Containers from Tilbury to Daventry, but some work towards Rugby and Crewe.
- Dungeness nuclear.
- Moving 68s on / off Wembley Chiltern to/from Crewe.
- Some random bits but no RHTT as that’s Stowmarket drivers including some drivers from depots such as Carlisle who have a few weeks ‘holiday’ there at Autumn time.

They used to have some stuff like Northern Belle but not now; and they used to do a bit of light engines to/from Eastleigh as well. Not sure if they have a Euston / Wembley Thunderbird turn?

But it sounds like there’s more container work in the pipeline. Probably a good depot to go to all told.
This opening looks like it’s government contracts/nuclear loads judging by the security clearance required and site it’s advertised on? Also, you have to be a fitter as part of this role?

Astro_Orbiter

This opening looks like it’s government contracts/nuclear loads judging by the security clearance required and site it’s advertised on? Also, you have to be a fitter as part of this role?
From personal experience with DRS recruitment stuff, the security clearance is across the board for whatever work you end up doing, because there's always the possibility of being around nuclear sites or flasks etc. Probably some light maintenance stuff which is fairly ordinary for freight I reckon. Its worth adding that the pension is some kind of Nuclear Decommissioning Authority civil service affair, but I don't know any of the details about it.
From what I remember, although the nominal base depot is Willesden, most jobs involved picking up trains elsewhere, probably Barking or somewhere. Not a huge establishment at Willesden but at the time I was involved (2 years or so ago) they were trying to increase it due to not enough drivers for the contracts they wanted.

4-SUB 4732

Established Member
From personal experience with DRS recruitment stuff, the security clearance is across the board for whatever work you end up doing, because there's always the possibility of being around nuclear sites or flasks etc. Probably some light maintenance stuff which is fairly ordinary for freight I reckon. Its worth adding that the pension is some kind of Nuclear Decommissioning Authority civil service affair, but I don't know any of the details about it.
From what I remember, although the nominal base depot is Willesden, most jobs involved picking up trains elsewhere, probably Barking or somewhere. Not a huge establishment at Willesden but at the time I was involved (2 years or so ago) they were trying to increase it due to not enough drivers for the contracts they wanted.
It’s suggested that Stowmarket is the ‘dominant’ depot and also involves itself in work from Dagenham, Tilbury and what not (and even Dungeness in some cases), so Willesden is effectively a satellite.

Signal_Box

The recruitment team at DRS are very into diversity, not a bad thing of course if it’s done in a best person wins way.

Their London base is Willesden Brent Yard, they’ve a small building next to the Royal Mail terminal. You’ll need security clearance as well, which is very in-depth you, and your family even a wiff of anything “iffy” will result in your app being binned.

They used to run to Sizewell, Dungerness and Southminster - only Dungerness see ad hoc traffic now.

90% of turns are book on remotely then travel to a relief point.

Pension wise it’s not Rail Pension Scheme, which should be a huge point to consider.

uww11x

Most of the work is nightshifts. Mostly Intermodal/Light engine moves.

Route wise. Furthest North you will go is Crewe. East will be Stowmarket. Don't really go west. South, Euston if you cross cover Rugby Thunderbird. Other southern places occasionally if you get trained up for them

Traction mostly 66 and 88. You will learn 68 to do 88. Can learn 57 if they decide to make you cross cover Rugby Thunderbird.

37 used to be basic traction, but not really touched by London drivers unless on swap outs.

The pension is very good.

No requirement to be a fitter. Just basic fault finding.

Usually Train Person first, but not many shunting jobs down there as it's already done by the terminals/3rd parties.

Last edited:

Carl98k

Yes, I had an email they couldn’t find my application. This was despite me having a confirmation email

Nothing, not even a confirmation email following submitting the application. If I log in the application is there but no response yet.

I did email and they responded:
Good afternoon

Many thanks for your email and I can confirm we have received your application.

Due to the extremely high response to this advert it is taking some time to go through all applications, we will be in touch with you in the coming couple of weeks.

Kind regards

Last edited:

Daly131

Would you be able to give me the email address you contacted please?? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.