• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DRS's 57/3s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jopsuk

Veteran Member
so unlike NR, they're retaining the coupler then? I guess it means they can still be hired in as required for extra thunderbird cover by West Coast.

SprinterMan

Established Member
so unlike NR, they're retaining the coupler then? I guess it means they can still be hired in as required for extra thunderbird cover by West Coast.

I think some of NR's retained dellner couplers. I'm not sure why some were removed.

Royston Vasey

Established Member
I think some of NR's retained dellner couplers. I'm not sure why some were removed.

Seems to be a mixture. I recall them being modified to be able to rescue 377s etc, having been a different height previously, 390s having them at "non-standard height"

SprinterMan

Established Member
Seems to be a mixture. I recall them being modified to be able to rescue 377s etc, having been a different height previously, 390s having them at "non-standard height"

That was certainly the original plan, but then they ended up being used on the snow train, and I'm not sure if they were modified in the end.

Adam :D

Jedipickles

The NR 57/3's which had the coupler removed look awful as there is a gaping hole in the front of it! they surely could have covered it over or left the coupler in even if it was disabled!

cj_1985

as i have posted on another thread... im 99% sure that the different coupler heights between the pendolino/22X units and other dellner like couplers is down to EU directives for high speed train interoperability/specifications.

We already know that Pendolinos and Voyagers can couple together (atleast mechanically).. both of these falling into the high speed trains catagory.

So that should mean that a Class 390 Pendolino could couple upto a DB ICE, SNCF TGV, a Eurostar class 373 or a SouthEastern class 395

other units ie. turbostars, desiros, Junipers and Electrostars would not be covered by the EU directive/specification as they are not classed as "High Speed Trains"

and since the 57/3s were modified to allow use with pendolinos... thats why the couplers are (iirc) set higher, than if they had been modified for use with desiros or electrostars.

cj_1985

How many 57's are NR getting..? Shame they did not keep their names.
NR took over 6x class 57/3s last summer/autumn

as regrards the names...
Virgin had an agreement with the owners of the "Thunderbirds" trademark, to allow the use of the brand/trademark...
if NR and/or DRS wished for their newly aquired 57/3s to retain the "Thunderbirds" related name.. they would have to negotiate an agreement with the Andersons, or whoever it is that holds/owns the trademark.

Last edited:

yummy125

These 2 x 57's were in Eastleigh Works on May Bank Hols Sat when our railtour arrived:

040120103232.jpg

040120103227-1.jpg

040120103228.jpg

jopsuk

Veteran Member
NR are using them primarily for their 3rd-rail-land snow and ice trains that they've had built specially. Not sure whet they're supposed to be used for for the rest of the year- I guess general departmental work alongside the 73s, 31s and 37/97s

Hydro

Established Member
I guess general departmental work alongside the 73s, 31s and 37/97s

No indication that this is the case at the moment. The fleet is undergoing a shake up with introduction of new test trains and DVT's, but no word on whether the 57's will be part of this.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Couldn't Virgin have retained 57301 - 57305, or if they wanted to keep locos that were in better nick changed the names and numbers round so they had Thunderbirds 1 to 5 with their respective pilot's nameplate?

Big Chris

Couldn't Virgin have retained 57301 - 57305, or if they wanted to keep locos that were in better nick changed the names and numbers round so they had Thunderbirds 1 to 5 with their respective pilot's nameplate?

Virgin have more than likely kept those 57 which have the lowest engine hours and have had fewest issues. Changing numbers of engines isn't just a case of painting a new one on the side so that just isn't worth it for the short time that that may have left. Hence why they seems to be little sign of a repaint of the ATW liveried examples.

Status
Not open for further replies.