• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DS Signal posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stampy

Was travelling on a train on a return journey between Peterborough and South Elmsall (between Doncaster & Leeds) yesterday, and was indulging in my hobby of signal post spotting!!!

Now I know the following areas are controlled (at the minute) as follows:-

Peterborough - Stoke Tunnel = Peterborough PSB
Stoke Tunnel - Doncaster area = Doncaster PSB

However, Just after Bentley - the plates changed from "D" to "DS" - before again changing to "L" (York IECC)

Just curious what "DS" is ??

According to my Rail Map guide - the area between Doncaster and just west of South Elmsall is controlled by Donny PSB, before handing over to York IECC with it's "L" plates.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

1D53

Established Member
DS stands for Doncaster Skellow although the signalling is part of the standard panel in Doncaster PSB.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
There is an increasing tendency (although it's not a nationwide standard) to designate sections of route by the initials of the most obvious 'nodes' at either end.

If a two letter code doesn't look obvious at first glance the end points of the overall route should probably be checked first.

Stampy

DS stands for Doncaster Skellow although the signalling is part of the standard panel in Doncaster PSB.

Cheers for clearing it up, thought it WAS part of Donny PSB.

I thought it might have stood for Doncaster - South Elmsall section (like, for example Rugby - Nuneaton on the WCML) when the "Super Centre" at York takes over in a couple of years.

Mind you, I think there are only a handful of signals plated DS!!

Status
Not open for further replies.