• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DTG Class 455/8

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon91

Dovetail has recently released the Class 455/8 to complement its south London offering, whilst I've enjoyed using it something has been bugging this nerd.

On the 455/9 made by Thomson power could be reduced gradually but the DTG 455/8 seems to have the same power control system as the old Mk1 EMUs, in that to reduce power you have to shut off completely before reapplying.

Is this prototypical or have DTG got the ones and zeros mixed up?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DY444

Dovetail has recently released the Class 455/8 to complement its south London offering, whilst I've enjoyed using it something has been bugging this nerd.

On the 455/9 made by Thomson power could be reduced gradually but the DTG 455/8 seems to have the same power control system as the old Mk1 EMUs, in that to reduce power you have to shut off completely before reapplying.

Is this prototypical or have DTG got the ones and zeros mixed up?

I know this an old thread but it is prototypical. The 455/9 is wrong.

networkse

Actually, some 455/9s have thyristor control. But not all. If they had thyristor control there would be no 'pop' with the shut off of power.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

jon91

Cheers chaps, so it seems that both variants of the class 455 in TS are prototypical. I can't verify these things myself being stuck in Northernland and not having much chance to go to London. :D

richa2002

Established Member
Actually, some 455/9s have thyristor control. But not all. If they had thyristor control there would be no 'pop' with the shut off of power.

GTO chopper equipment was removed from those few /9s a long while ago. They have all been camshaft for years.

DY444

Not any more. It was changed out years ago.

networkse

Well, they still did in the SWT class 455 training video. About 19 years ago. Before refurbishment.

Status
Not open for further replies.