• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dublin advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

BanburyBlue

Hi,

Has anyone got any travel advice for Dublin - we're thinking of going there later in the year for a few days, but I know very little about the place. I will go and buy a travel guide, but in the meantime...

Best way to get from airport to city centre.

Good areas to stay that are close to the city centre.

etc

Thanks,

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Save up. Any reasonable accommodation is not cheap, unless you are the hosteling sort.

Airport to city centre is the usual airport bus for convenience, there is a transport / information place at the airport after you’ve arrived who can explain your travel options.

DavidGrain

Established Member
I have never flown to Dublin as I have usually gone by sea so I can't help you on that. I more often fly to other airports in Ireland. Nowadays I usually choose hotels from one of the comparison websites often starting with Trivago.co.uk which will redirect you to other comparison sites. If you want to book flights and hotels together Expedia.co.uk usually claim to get you a discount on the combined cost. I have used them twice this year.

Shimbleshanks

Save up. Any reasonable accommodation is not cheap, unless you are the hosteling sort.

Airport to city centre is the usual airport bus for convenience, there is a transport / information place at the airport after you’ve arrived who can explain your travel options.

You could save about €3 or so by using the regular 41/41C service from the airport to city centre. Takes a little longer than the 747 express but if you're staying on the north side of the city it might even be the quicker option as the 41/C stops at the local stops that the express doesn't - so you don't have to backtrack. There is a Dublin Transport desk at the airport though my personal experience is that the staff are not particularly well informed and try and push you into buying the tourist Leap card irrespective of whether it actually saves you money.
Hotels tend to be pricey for what you get; expect to pay €45-plus per night except for student hostel/dorm-type stuff. My personal preference is to stay somewhere north of the city centre like Drumcondra simply because it's easy to get to and from the airport. Take care before making your selection - I've ended up staying in council flat sorts of places which can be depressing to say the least if you're on holiday.

geml90

I've used the Aircoach a few times - I think it's €7 for a single to O'Connell Street or Grafton Street. They stop outside the doors of the airport and there's a stand selling tickets (or buy online in advance).

Things to do in the city seem to be reasonably close or are a short walk. I've looked up bus routes before, but in the end walked everywhere. There is a walking tour of the city which is quite good if you are interested in history and literature. It's worth taking a waterproof coat...

The Guinness Storehouse can get very busy - tickets are cheaper earlier in the day. I had some spare time before flying and went down, but spent more time in the queue than indoors. The gravity bar has a good view and is probably better when it's quiet.

Hotels might be a bit cheaper out of the city centre - you could travel in on the Luas tram system if there's a stop near your hotel.

TBirdFrank

On Moderation
Visitor Leap Card only available at the airport and post office on O Connell St - not at Connolly or Dublin Port. (Could only be Ireland!) valid on all modes in Dublin for a variety of days 0 bargain! Hotels - Oh Boy! easy to pay over £100 a night. Lovely place - great people and go when the RPSI are running!

DavidGrain

Established Member
There is the usual sightseeing bus tour that you find anywhere. This is always good for orientating yourself. Last time I went on this we were taken into the library of Trinity College Dublin where they have the Book of Kells on display.

As this is a railway forum we have to advise you to take a ride on the trams.

If you saw the film, Educating Rita with Julie Walters and Michael Cain, this was filmed in Dublin althoguh they pretended it was Liverpool.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Aircoach, which runs 24x7x364 is €6 for a ticket to the city center if booked online and can be used on any service that day and runs every 15 mins apart from the early hours when it is every 30 mins.

However if you are going to invest in Visitor Leap and the route takes you where you want to go, you're better off taking the 747/757 as that is included within the cost of Leap.

Visitor Leap is discounted over standard Leap since you can get three days travel on Dublin Bus, Irish Rail and Trams for €19.50. With normal leap there is a €10 daily all modes cap and a €40 weekly cap. Visitor Leap also includes the 747/757 whereas this does not count towards standard Leap Cards caps.

Whilst there is a travel information desk at Dublin Airport T1, it's not really as such, it's a commercial sales desk for Dublin Bus, Bus Eireann and Irish Rail, so they won't inform you of competing services that may suit a tourist better unfortunately. Hopefully in time there will be an operator neutral desk.

You for sure should try out the DART and the LUAS. Greystones is pretty nice and Malahide as well.

Hornet

Hi,

Has anyone got any travel advice for Dublin - we're thinking of going there later in the year for a few days, but I know very little about the place. I will go and buy a travel guide, but in the meantime...

Best way to get from airport to city centre.

Good areas to stay that are close to the city centre.

etc

Thanks,

Expect to pay around €1000+ for seven nights in a City Centre Hotel during the summer months. The nearest Hotel to me (The Maldron at Tallaght, 10Km from the City Centre and on Dublin Bus, Luas Red Line routes), is €785 in June. Prepare to pay around €7.00 for a Pint of Plain in Temple Bar, and between €70 to €100 for a 3 course evening meal in a Restaurant. (Pre-Theatre deals can be had). If you stay out of town, the last Buses leave town at 11.30pm, (the Luas an hour later during the week. Be prepared to meet some of the local wildlife on the Red Line). Dublin is a horrendously expensive place to visit, (and not that much cheaper to live in).

Status
Not open for further replies.