• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dublin Airport/Transit

Status
Not open for further replies.

freetoview33

Established Member
I was reading Aer Lingus, check in info for US flights, and it says get to the airport a minimum of 3 hours before departure in order to clear US Immigration.

But

When we look at connecting flights through Dublin, for instance Bristol - New York. There is only 1hr 25min from landing in Dublin and taking off again. (This reduces to 1hr 20 on the Birmingham flight)

Even though Aer Lingus say this should work, is that enough time to transit and clear US Immigration?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

55z

Depends on the queue at US Immigration. Some days 5 mins queue some days 3 hours. We have just booked Manchester to USA through Dublin & we have 3½ hours hoepfully mostly in the business lounge.

transmanche

Established Member
I was reading Aer Lingus, check in info for US flights, and it says get to the airport a minimum of 3 hours before departure in order to clear US Immigration.
[...]
Even though Aer Lingus say this should work, is that enough time to transit and clear US Immigration?
I assume the three hours quoted is for passengers starting their journey from Dublin Airport? If so, I assume the three hours would also include time for checking-in and passing through security and passport control? Again, I assume that you won't have to go through those procedures a second time if you have arrived on a connecting flight from the UK. Meaning that you won't need the full three hours in order to pass through US Immigration?

55z

I suggest you telephone Aer Lingus to see if your connection is viable.

freetoview33

Established Member
I suggest you telephone Aer Lingus to see if your connection is viable.
But it's the connection they suggested. So I guess it should work. With ones like Aberdeen Flight where the connection time would be bellow 85 mins it doesn't show it as a connection.

I am just doing some research into different ways of getting to New York from Bristol, and that seems to be the quickest, easiest and not too expensive compared to flying through London.

xydancer

I travelled on Aer Lingus from Birmingham to New York via Dublin at the end of May. Connection time between flights was 1 hour 40 mins. When I queried if this was long enough this with Aer Lingus (in writing, e-mail, safer) they said no problem as minimum time for such connections is 1 hour 30. It was indeed no problem. I was through US immigration within 30 minutes of the Birmingham flight landing. There were queues but every security channel and booth seemed manned and they moved quite fast. And the staff were pleasant too.

Another plus with this route is that on the return, passport control is also done in Dublin, the UK and Ireland having an open border (for now, anyway). It's done away from the Ireland-bound passengers on a UK connections channel. I think it took about 15 seconds.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Do Aer Lingus put you on a later flight at no extra cost if immigration delays mean a missed connection?

xydancer

I was told that, provided both flights were on one booking, on an itinerary produced by the Aer Lingus booking system, then yes, they will simply rebook you if delayed either at immigration or on the first flight itself. It's no different really to what would happen at any other connecting airport where you have to go through security again for the second flight. It may be a different story if it's two separate bookings.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
The OP is confusing the idea of being in transit and arriving at the start airport to perform the check in process.

If your ticket was sold with the connection then it’s valid. Even if you are delayed you will be rebooked for free.

freetoview33

Established Member
The OP is confusing the idea of being in transit and arriving at the start airport to perform the check in process.

If your ticket was sold with the connection then it’s valid. Even if you are delayed you will be rebooked for free.
Yeah I understand that. I guess the question is 90 minutes enough time in reality?

Also with Aer Lingus starting more US flights, surely it will get tighter?

xydancer

In my experience, yes, 90 minutes is fine; and if it wasn't OK the vast, vast majority of the time, Aer Lingus wouldn't be offering it as an itinerary. Of course, nothing is guaranteed and things can go wrong. If you Google or dip into Tripadvisor, you'll find people saying they missed flights, but I even had time for a coffee after going through and before boarding.

Incidentally, on arrival at JFK, I had collected my bag and was out of the terminal within 20 minutes of stepping off the plane.

Flying Snail

Established Member
They are used to juggling passengers for US pre-clearance at Dublin, when it gets busy they are proactive in pulling out passengers with the closest departures and getting them through in time.

As said above the 3 hours is for check-in, bag drop and airport security as well as US procedures, single-booking transfer passengers skip this so don't need as much time.

Status
Not open for further replies.