• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dublin Port to Dublin Heuston.

Status
Not open for further replies.

james60059

Hi Folks,

I'm planning on Rail and Sail to Ireland next year but using the Holyhead - Dublin Port route, does anyone know the best way to get from Dublin Port to Dublin Heuston Station please? (I'm going on to Waterford).

Previous years I used Fishguard - Rosslare and since IE "suspended" the service between Rosslare and Waterford it's been a case of getting the 040 bus from Rosslare to Waterford instead so I want to try a different route.

Cheers in Advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Does the bus from outside the passenger terminal still run? Was €4 when I used it three years ago, and called at Connolly and somewhere else in the city centre en-route.

duesselmartin

Established Member
Did the Rosslare-Waterford times ever match with the Ferries in the past 20 years? It seemed the timetable was for commuters of whom there were few.

Hornet

Hi Folks,

I'm planning on Rail and Sail to Ireland next year but using the Holyhead - Dublin Port route, does anyone know the best way to get from Dublin Port to Dublin Heuston Station please? (I'm going on to Waterford).

Previous years I used Fishguard - Rosslare and since IE "suspended" the service between Rosslare and Waterford it's been a case of getting the 040 bus from Rosslare to Waterford instead so I want to try a different route.

Cheers in Advance.

As well as the IF connecting bus, Dublin Bus also goes down to the port.

https://www.dublinbus.ie/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/53/

Proviso with DB. They may well still be out on strike by the time you travel.

Last edited:

adamedwards

Just be careful with the times on the bus link given traffic in Dublin.

In summer 2014 I caught the Irish Ferries afternoon sailing and got the bus which hit the Dublin rush hour. It left the port at 17:45 ish but thanks to all the jams and a long stop at the Central Bus Sta for people with luggage, it got to Heuston at 19:10, so I missed the 19:00 train and had to wait 2 hours for the 21:00. And pay extra as my advanced ticket wasn't valid on the later train. A taxi to the tram might be a better bet, but expensive, as the port is a long way out of town.

Adam

Elwyn

Did the Rosslare-Waterford times ever match with the Ferries in the past 20 years? It seemed the timetable was for commuters of whom there were few.

Not in the later years it didn't. But in fairness there are not many foot passengers on the route bound for Waterford and beyond, and it just didn't pay to run them at times that connected with the ferries.

krus_aragon

Established Member
On my last day trip to Dublin I caught the Luas as far as the Point, and walked from there. It's longer than you'd think by foot! I think I took ~40 mins at a very fast walk.

Having said that, a taxi as far as the Point, then Luas through to Heuston, could be a good plan. (Assuming Luas drivers aren't involved in any strikes.)

Hornet

On my last day trip to Dublin I caught the Luas as far as the Point, and walked from there. It's longer than you'd think by foot! I think I took ~40 mins at a very fast walk.

Having said that, a taxi as far as the Point, then Luas through to Heuston, could be a good plan. (Assuming Luas drivers aren't involved in any strikes.)

Luas Drivers recently settled their dispute. Dublin Bus have several strike days planned next month, and it's most likely that Bus Eireann and Iarnrod Eireann drivers may go out on strike as well. Welcome to Dublin. It's like living in the UK in the 70's!

I walked it once when (Yes you guessed it), Dublin Bus was on strike. 45 minutes Ulysses to the Luas Point stop. Not the most pleasant of walks, what with the lorries coming off the Ferries and the nature of the area. Worth walking down Alexandra Road though to give the Tramway the once over.

Last edited:

hurricanemk1c

Luas Drivers recently settled their dispute. Dublin Bus have several strike days planned next month, and it's most likely that Bus Eireann and Iarnrod Eireann drivers may go out on strike as well. Welcome to Dublin. It's like living in the UK in the 70's!

I walked it once when (Yes you guessed it), Dublin Bus was on strike. 45 minutes Ulysses to the Luas Point stop. Not the most pleasant of walks, what with the lorries coming off the Ferries and the nature of the area. Worth walking down Alexandra Road though to give the Tramway the once over.

Dublin Bus strikes are currently on hold pending the results of a fresh ballot (that has just started), so October is probably clear

Status
Not open for further replies.