• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dublin's Phoenix Park Tunnel is reopening - direct services from Newbridge to GCD

Status
Not open for further replies.

backontrack

Established Member
Dublin's central railway tunnel is going to reopen, finally linking the two halves of Ireland's rail network.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-new...el-to-reopen-for-rail-commuters-35025314.html

The long-awaited re-opening of the Phoenix Park tunnel for passenger trains is due to be completed by Christmas, allowing trains from Kildare to reach Dublin city in around an hour.

An estimated 7,500 commuters a day living in the congested commuter belt from southwest Dublin to Co Kildare will be able to avail of 15 new weekday trains to and from the city centre a day.
The new service will travel directly from Newbridge and Hazelhatch Stations in Co Kildare to the IFSC, south city centre and Grand Canal Dock areas in about an hour or less, depending on the train.

The new line, which uses the 139-year-old Phoenix Park tunnel, will also stop at Drumcondra, Connolly, Tara and Pearse Stations.
The service, using existing inter-city rail trains, will travel under the Phoenix Park for 692 metres via the tunnel that runs from Heuston Station to the junction of the Cavan and Navan roads.

The tunnel was closed to regular train traffic over a decade ago but has been in continual use for freight trains.
Seven new morning rush-hour services will run from Newbridge and Hazelhatch to Grand Canal Dock with eight return rush-hour services in the evening.

There will also be connections at Newbridge and Hazelhatch for commuters living as far away as Carlow town, Portlaoise, Kildare town and Athlone.
Irish Rail is now seeking input from the public on the draft timetable and commuters have until September 19 to comment.

Irish Rail chief executive David Franks said the new service would take thousands of commuters off the roads with new direct connections to a number of stations.
“However, firstly, and most importantly, we want customers to examine the initial schedules proposed, to give us their feedback, so we can ensure we meet their expectations as much as possible,” he said.

National Transport Authority chief executive Anne Graham said the project was aimed at attracting both new commuters and leisure travellers to the rail network.
It’s expected that services will increase to weekend and evening services once the initial weekday service is rolled out.

The draft timetable is available online at www.irishrail.ie where customers can also make submissions.

Here's the draft timetable: http://www.irishrail.ie/media/00a_-_heuston_2016_draft.pdf

So, what do people think?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hurricanemk1c

Yes, ICR's to start with and then proposals of 2800's (with 2700's replacing them)

It's a start, but will be interesting to see the effect of the 1755 Heuston - Newbridge being cancelled in favour of a GCD service

berneyarms

Established Member
And a fair few on the Maynooth line which end up being intercity despite being commuter.

There isn't enough rolling stock in service to deliver it otherwise.

Unless government funding increases sufficiently to allow the 2700s back into service that's the way it will remain.

The 29k sets are rostered on the early Rosslare-Dundalk on Monday-Friday, returning on the 16:37 Connolly-Rosslare.

An 8-piece 29k operates Dublin-Sligo return on Sunday's as the 22k would not be able to carry the loading.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
rush hour only?

Initially yes.

There aren't enough drivers to deliver an all day service.

Flying Snail

Established Member
rush hour only?

They (mistakenly) released a draft timetable into the journey planner that included hourly off-peak and late evening services but it has been scaled back to peak only for staffing reasons. AFAIK off-peak is planned to be introduced when possible.

317 forever

Established Member
The line via Phoenix Park tunnel, like the service to Docklands, will at least for now therefore be Mon-Fri only

Groningen

Established Member
So i have do not have to walk from Connolly to Heuston anymore?! I would say; have a train from Connolly and Heuston to Cork and Galway; and make them connect with each other in Portarlington.

berneyarms

Established Member
So i have do not have to walk from Connolly to Heuston anymore?! I would say; have a train from Connolly and Heuston to Cork and Galway; and make them connect with each other in Portarlington.

These trains don't serve Heuston and are peak hour commuter services for the Kildare line.

They only go to Hazelhatch or Newbridge.

You don't have to walk between Connolly and Heuston - there is a tram linking the two.

Last edited:

Flying Snail

Established Member

You never had to walk between them, the tram runs directly every few minutes and before that there was a frequent bus link.

There is no space in Connolly for extra IC services, nor is there the capacity to run them across the station throat to access the PPT line.

This link is only ever going to be for local trains. There is a possibility to extend them to offer more connections and possibly add a second platform on the line to give a stop at Islandbridge at the back of Heuston station where a platform currently sits on the down PPT line.

Groningen

Established Member
Something outside this topic, but from Ireland i remember every train i used end 1990's.

From Holyhead to Dublin - Belfast - Londonderry and v.v.
To Cork, Portarlington, Galway and v.v.
From Dublin to Waterford and Rosslare to Fishguard

2 days of Ireland was more than enough.

berneyarms

Established Member
Something outside this topic, but from Ireland i remember every train i used end 1990's.

From Holyhead to Dublin - Belfast - Londonderry and v.v.
To Cork, Portarlington, Galway and v.v.
From Dublin to Waterford and Rosslare to Fishguard

2 days of Ireland was more than enough.

As an Irishman I find that last sentence rather offensive.

I don't think there's any need for that kind of comment.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Other than it's relatively poor location relative to the rest of the station, is there a reason that these trains won't serve Heuston platform 10?

I didn't realise that Heuston was so congested; I'd assumed that it was the Connolly / Tara Street / Pearse line that was more busy and therefore an obstacle to passenger services resuming through the PP tunnel...

DT611

As an Irishman I find that last sentence rather offensive.

I don't think there's any need for that kind of comment.

This irish man believes he might have a point depending on what he means by that statement. If he is referring to the low quality services certain lines had to experience (for which 1 or 2 still experience) then he is correct.

I didn't realise that Heuston was so congested; I'd assumed that it was the Connolly / Tara Street / Pearse line that was more busy and therefore an obstacle to passenger services resuming through the PP tunnel...

The only real obstacle to the tunnel being used was CIE/irish rail. they simply did not want to use it, the only reason the service is running is down to the national transport authority.

Last edited:

hurricanemk1c

Other than it's relatively poor location relative to the rest of the station, is there a reason that these trains won't serve Heuston platform 10?

An additional crossover would be required from Platform 10 onto the line to Connolly, possibly being over the bridge that spans the Liffey. Plus the reason would be that direct Newbridge/Sallins/Hazelhatch/Adamstown/Clondalkin/Park West services to Heuston are still operational.

The other reason for why IÉ didn't want the PPT project was that they wanted DART Underground. If the PPT is a flop or perfectly sized, then the NTA will turn around and say DART Underground isn't needed (like the Airport link apparently)

Status
Not open for further replies.