Dumb Britain

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AlterEgo, 15 Nov 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lrd

Lrd Established Member

I think that's the OAP concessionary pass for the buses, or any local council issued smart card for the libraries etc etc.

2. Nym

Nym Established Member

Normally at the moment am expressing it at a pure ratio leading or lagging.

And yes, very much so in rolling stock, there were a lot in 87101 being the first thyristor controlled unit, used a lot of power electronics. (Lecture tomorrow and Friday with someone who worked on 87101's systems)

3. Schnellzug

Schnellzug Established Member

Oh, they're doing that in a well known chain of Coffe shops named after the Spanish for coast. the other day it was All i want for Christmas is You, although mercifully not the Mariah Carey version. In fact, it was relatively bearable.

Oh, an DTKIC is the greatest song ever.

4. Eagle

Eagle Established Member

I wasn't aware there was another version... being as Carey wrote the song in the first place.

5. Schnellzug

it's a small two-seater car manufactured by Mercdes Benz, although how you'd get one in your carry-on luggage is a questionable matter.
    I can't help wondering what the reaction might be if you offered them a Firearm certificate, mind.
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---

i think it was one of those sounding-vaguely-like-the-original-artist cover versions that they play for copyright reasons.

Last edited: 16 Nov 2011
  6. starrymarkb

starrymarkb Established Member

I get so many at work (a Public Transport Timetable info call centre) Some highlights include...

Others include the mother claiming her son couldn't cross roads, the lady who took that call thought it best to ask the age (unoccompanied minors and all) and was shocked at the reply "22"

(said by someone going to a shopping centre with the bus stop right outside the entrance to the building)

7. Mojo

Mojo Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I travelled to Jersey on Flybe last year presenting my driving license. The full list of accepted ID, from their website:

8. Schnellzug

The real ironic thing is, what difference would any of those make to, I presume is the intention, Preventing Terrorism, since, according to the official explanation, the 9/11 Hijackers all got on the planes under their real names, and even (allegedly) had their Passports with them.

9. Kernowfem

Kernowfem Member

Docotors receptionist to me back in 2002 while i was on crutches learning to use my prosthetic leg....lovely lady, very chatty: Oh dear love, what you been doing, breaking your leg. Me: No, sadly ive had to have it amputated: Rec: Oooh lovey thats not good, still i see people with legs missing in here some days, it could have been worse!

Que two other very embarrassed desk staff and a purple GP. It did make laugh so much, she really cheered up a crappy day!!

However i confess when my brother joined the navy, i was only 14. He was going on a submarine, and i did ask him if it had windows.....i know, i know, rediculous!

10. Seacook

Seacook Member

I don't have any of these. No internal flights for me, then. I shall have to stick with trains.:)

11. Nym

Nym Established Member

Armed forces id card, yes
    Airport staff id card, yes
    Passport, yes still have
    Driving licence, yup still have
    Firearms licence, soon
    Warrant card, not any more
    University id card, several,
    How many times can i fly with flyBE?

12. ainsworth74

ainsworth74 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Not necessarily as depending on which navy he joined there could well have been windows as seen here ;)

13. klambert

klambert Established Member

Despite the name of the thread I find American tourists to be the doppiest so and so's out there. My favourite was when I was at Windsor castle and an American walks by saying "Why did they build the castle under a flight path" durrrrrrrrrrrr.

I also love it when they ask for directions on the tube the questions are so daft like: "What do the coloured lines on this tube map mean?" or "Can you get to Stevenage on the Piccadilly line?"

14. Rugd1022

Rugd1022 Member

Yellow submarines have windows! ;)

My eldest sister once asked me "how do you actually drive your train then, does it have a steering wheel?". She was deadly serious...:roll:

15. table38

table38 Established Member

16. Schnellzug

Some do...

Attached Files:

17. Oswyntail

Oswyntail Established Member

Well, actually, IIRC, it doesn't explain anywhere that the lines are separate entities.If you are not used to the convention used, the maps don't make obvious sense
    Well, yes and no. The question might well be expanded to "I am here at Baron's Court. Is the Piccadilly Line my best option for heading towards Stevenage, understanding that I might have to change somewhere?"
    There is no such thing as a stupid question, only a stupid answer.

18. table38

table38 Established Member

From the desk of a pedant...

I'd nominate the sort of question like "are you going?" when someone puts their coat on :)

My old boss used to ask stupid questions in meetings just to justify his existence. In meetings with more senior staff then him, at the end when they asked "has anyone any questions" and all we wanted to do was get out of their fast, he always asked something like "could you just go over xyz again" which really meant "look at me, I'm asking a question" :(

Also the old Police Squad (Peter Lupus) / Airplane (Leslie Neilson) stuff was pretty stupid, like:

• I have a question
    • What is it?
    • It's an an interrogative statement designed to elicit a response
    :)

19. Rugd1022

Rugd1022 Member

Sorry, no knowledge... I don't sign those...!

20. Lrd

Lrd Established Member

They might be cold...

21. class156

class156 Member

Ryanair still do flights from Prestwick to Stanstead.

22. WestCoast

WestCoast Established Member

The route no longer operates.
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    I have always thought it's quite important to have some sort of photographic ID. A CitizenCard is easy and cheap (£15) to obtain.

23. causton

causton Established Member

Yes, I have one of those - it's good for seperating the wheat from the chaff in regards of people that are trained well/remember their training! "Never seen this ID before," said the guy in the Co-op. There was a picture of it right behind him on an A3 poster saying "Police Advice - Acceptable Photo ID" :lol:

Also gives discounts! Not too sure about whether any of them are any good but something's better than nothing!

24. Railguy220

Railguy220 Member

Bananas are technically a herb. ;)

25. klambert

klambert Established Member

Hate to mention the obvious but that looks like the hand brake you get on the old DMUs and locos.

26. Schnellzug

Does, doesn't it; it's a DB class 218.

27. Ivo

Ivo Established Member

In line with the thread, it's pedant time!

Grrr <(

(Sorry class156, but it's a very common point on here!)

--------------------

Another one is if you go into a take-away and spell out exactly what you need, even writing it down - and still they ask if you want this, that or the other. If you hgave a burger bar or similar, they will almost always ask if you want cheese, for example, even if you deliberately mention beforehand that you don't want it - and half the time they will still give it to you! :roll:

28. curly42

curly42 Member

Doncaster station:

Me - "A black coffee please"

Person behind counter - "Milk and sugar ?"

29. atomicdanny

atomicdanny Member

I'm sure the most common for anyone that has worked in a supermarket (or most likely anywhere! ). I had this a lot when i worked for Netto and Sainsbury when in uniform!

"Do you work here"

I usually replied, nope I just like to where this uniform for fun!

(then there are those that call Tomatoes Vegetables though, that is annoying!)

30. causton

causton Established Member

Working in retail, I could give *so many* of these...

"Headphones built inside the coat? How does that work - must be pretty complicated" - actually no, they've just shoved some headphones in the middle before sewing the 2 halves together...
    "Do you do gift cards?" (I am standing to the side of a 1x2 metre sign saying "GIFT CARDS NOW AVAILABLE")
    "No refunds? Where does it say that then?" (points to back of receipt, sign in front of till, sign behind till) Not saying that I particularly like the 'no refunds' rule!
    On the bus home: "Can I get a ticket to xyz?" "Single or return?" "Well I want to go there... and then back again" "So a return" "Erm I think so"
    Also, the amount of men who bring up ladies' jeans (with a bright pink label and the numbered size (e.g. 8, 10 etc) rather than the men's sizes (e.g. S, M, L)) and ask how the sizing works - "is this my size".

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.