• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dumfries-Dundee

Status
Not open for further replies.

marks87

Established Member
I'm planning a trip to Dumfries next month and was wanting advice on the return leg.

Normally when I do this trip, I return via:

17.58 Dumfries-Carlisle 18.35
18.47 Carlisle-Glasgow Central 20.01
20.41 Glasgow QS - Dundee 22.03

Since that's what the journey planners always give.

This time, I thought I'd try and be creative and see if there was a way of arriving home earlier. I could, just, make the 17.07 Dumfries-Carlisle, but that sends me via Haymarket and doesn't buy that much time. So I thought I'd try and piece something together myself and came up with this:

17.07 Dumfries-Carlisle 17.44
18.02 Carlisle-Glasgow Central 19.15
19.41 Glasgow QS-Dundee 20.59

I'm guessing that doesn't show up in the planners because there's "only" a 26-minute change between Glasgow stations, but that's not an issue.

Am I missing anything obvious? Clearly I can use a Dundee-Dumfries off-peak return to return via Carlisle and Glasgow, but usually I'd be armed with the itinerary to fight my case if it was queried (since it might seem unusual because AFAIK Glasgow-Dumfries isn't valid via Carlisle).

If I were to buy the ticket on the basis of the 17.58 (-22.03 at Dundee), but then use it with the alternative timings, would that itinerary be evidence enough to show that the ticket is valid via that route?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

marks87

Established Member
Sorry to bump my own thread, but I'm now looking into various other options to cut down on waiting time.

In a nutshell, if I miss (or it looks like I'm going to miss) the 17.07, I've been advised to jump on the bus to Lockerbie and pick up the 18.30 TPE service to Edinburgh (19.34) then the 20.04 to Dundee (21.31).

Now I think I know the answer but just to make sure - can I start short at Lockerbie with the return portion of an Off-peak Return Dundee-Dumfries?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
NRE will give me itineraries via either Glasgow or Haymarket, and the return portion of any ticket always allows break of journey.

I would say still take a copy of the itinerary with you (via Haymarket especially) in case it is needed (it shouldn't be). Something at a similar time should suffice.

Status
Not open for further replies.