• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dumped 1983 Stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

BestWestern

Established Member
Hi All,

Apologies of this has been explored before, but something I've been curious about for a while now is the abandoned sets of 1983 stock dumped on the LU system and heavily vandalised; is there any particular reason why these long defunct sets have been left in situ and allowed to rot away? Presumably they must be well past any possibility of further use of any kind, so why are they retained, anybody know?!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nym

Established Member
There may be some upcoming projects where these dumped peices of stock may be spares stripped for some of the better condition sets to return to traffic for departmental use.

MCR247

Established Member
Well one of the 1983ts has a tree growing in it, so I'm not sure how useful it'll be

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
The ones sat in South Harrow sidings are vandalised beyond recognition. I doubt they'd be much use for anything. I think at one point they were intended to be re-configured with double leaf doors for use on the JLE alongside the 1996 Stock but it was decided a uniform fleet would be preferable.

Why they've sat there for so long we can only guess, the youngest ones (dating from 1988) have spent more time out of service than in, now.

daniel3982

My girlfriend had an idea the other day of turning them into homes, like narrow boats on rails! Would certainly have been interesting to see!

NSE

Established Member
Where are they stored round the network? I'd like to try and see one if I can

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Where are they stored round the network? I'd like to try and see one if I can
since they obviously had something in mind for them it does surprise me that they didn't store them somewhere a bit more secure, such as one of the mod sites

Established Member
The original plan was to convert ALL of the 1983 Tube Stock to the same specification as 1996 Stock (which is why the 1996 Stock doesn't have full-height windows like 1992 Stock does, so that it's a bit more in keeping with the 1983 Stock). However it was deemed too expensive, it was cheaper and more convenient to order a larger fleet of 1996 Stock and just replace the 1983 Stock altogether. The Batch I sets were scrapped immediately but the Batch II sets were retained, as it was planned for them to work alongside 1973 Stock on the Piccadilly line. This came to nothing however and gradually the Batch II sets have been scrapped, or converted into art studios like the ones on the Great Eastern Street viaduct. 9 cars still remain in South Harrow sidings, apparently rusted to the rails, and have very little, if any, chance of being re-used for anything other than scrap, unfortunately.

I think there are a couple of cars used as artists studios on a viaduct near Shoreditch(?)

Status
Not open for further replies.