• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dundee to Lockerbie, via Stirling and Glasgow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tullideph

Right, I want to go from Dundee to Lockerbie, but I want to get off at Stirling to visit a friends for a few hours, then reboard a later train. After that I would change between Queen Street and Central in Glasgow, and get a southbound train to Lockerbie.

Can I do this all on a normal Dundee to Lockerbie ticket, considering that my normal route between the two would be simply going via Edinburgh.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dan_atki

Established Member
We must consult the National Routeing Guide to see if this is valid on a Dundee to Lockerbie ticket.

Dundee is a routeing point so no issue there, Lockerbie is related to both Carlisle and Carstairs. The fare from Dundee to Carlisle is more than Dundee to Lockerbie so that fails the fare check. Carstairs is the appropriate routeing point for Lockerbie.

We must then look at valid map combinations for Dundee to Carstairs. We find the combinations are FD, FK+GA.

Map combination FK+GA allow travel from Dundee to Stirling via Perth, onto Glasgow, then Carstairs. You are then allowed to travel by the shortest route from Carstairs to Lockerbie.

So, in short, to answer your question - yes it is allowed :).

glynn80

Established Member
Is the proposed break of journey at Stirling allowed?

Well it depends on the ticket type the OP wishes to purchase.

If the OP wishes to purchase any of the "Advance" fares offered by Virgin Trains then the answer would be no.

If the OP was planning on purchasing any other fare (i.e the "walk-on" fares such as the Off Peak Return or the Anytime Return), then all of these permit break of journey on the outward and return portions.

Status
Not open for further replies.